Notices

What do you do?

Old 04-10-2010, 07:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
6/20/08

One always sent me right back to a dozen every day. It's nice not to have to worry about it anymore.

I'll sit here with my poison coke and clear head and be grateful.

I do hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I just want to be NORMAL.
But who's to say what's "Normal"? I know lot's of people that don't drink and have never even had a drink in their life, no one in my family drinks, so Normal for some people is not needing/wanting to drink at all.

BTW- I know what you meant by normal Just offering a different perspective.

Steve
Old 04-10-2010, 09:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Reading the OP I have to say I found myself wanting to see if I could exercise some self control. The clear headed side of my brain knows that the first drink always leads to a tenth drink.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:30 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I do not attent drunk parties without good reason to be there.

I say "No thank you; but would a coke/juice/water be too much trouble?"

I also do not need to stick my hands under porches to prove there are no badgers.

Perhaps one day you'll understand why the attitude is what it is in the replies to this thread.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I politely decline!
Old 04-10-2010, 09:49 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
No offence Karl, but I'd rather take my chances with the Diet Coke.

D
I was comparing Diet Coke with Coke (i.e with REAL sugar)
Old 04-10-2010, 09:52 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayWalker View Post
But who's to say what's "Normal"? I know lot's of people that don't drink and have never even had a drink in their life, no one in my family drinks, so Normal for some people is not needing/wanting to drink at all.

BTW- I know what you meant by normal Just offering a different perspective.

Steve
I have to disagree - Beside for people who have a problem with Alcohol - I have yet to meet a normal, well rounded person who has never had a good night out with the boys/girls a few times in their life or who doesn't enjoy a couple of glasses of red with a good meal.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:05 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Everyone's different.. because as I said I know a number of people like that and it's not because they have a problem with it, they just never tried it and I guess don't care too. Same way there's many people that haven't ever tried a drug., just not something they ever cared to try.

Steve
Old 04-10-2010, 10:08 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have yet to meet a normal, well rounded person who has never had a good night out with the boys/girls a few times in their life or who doesn't enjoy a couple of glasses of red with a good meal.
Both things are a bit different to what we do when drinking, tho Karl

D
Old 04-10-2010, 10:12 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberKarl View Post
Cheers all - Its just that ALL my friends do not drink heavily so I'm only surrounded by people that have 1-2 (or at the MOST 3) beers and then its a coffee etc etc. Its always been my "problem". I personally don't want to have to say - I don't drink, not because I'm ashamed but more ashamed that I cannot beat my demons and exercises some self control. I just want to be NORMAL.

PS Diet Coke is poison - Rather have the real one if you have to drink coke.
(Have a look at Aspartame & Aspartame Poisoning Information Site)
Yeah i know whats in it...but im an alcoholic and, for me, to drink alcohol is to die, maybe in accident, maybe in 30 years after a miserable living hell of an existence so that said diet coke doesn't really feature on my radar at the moment...maybe it will along the way but as im in first year of sobriety id have to be insane to worry about drinking diet coke and im not insane anymore:-)
Old 04-10-2010, 10:33 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Karl, I guess "well-rounded" is another term that's up for debate. I have met people before who don't consume alcohol and I didn't think they weren't well-rounded or that they were narrowminded. Maybe a couple of them seemed a little cold when they said they don't drink and I assumed they either had tried it and didn't like the effect it had on them or were tired of being asked if they wanted a "beer" - maybe even had decided they should not drink because of experiences with it. People can be fully functioning and yet not partake in something because "everybody does it."

When you said you didn't want to be rude earlier, were you being more tongue-in-cheek or did you really think it would be rude to refuse an alcoholic beverage? Usually hosts want their guests to be comfortable and happy, so if it that meant lemonade instead of beer, lemonade is what they would get. I was handed water at a party I went to recently when they asked what I wanted and all I heard was a list of alcoholic beverages. If you really don't want to drink, you don't have to bow down to hosts (you don't have to show up either). If you would rather drink, then that's a different story Maybe you do have an OFF button in your brain, and I guess it is a good idea to find out.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:14 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Every function that I've ever attended had both beer/alcohol and soda/water. I just always went with the beer option before
Old 04-11-2010, 06:41 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

SoberKarl,

If you believe moderate drinking is something you can do then please be smart about it.

Be careful of vague limits that can evolve into a "sliding scale" of the variables (times, amounts, functions, locations etc...). Without strict guidelines you may find yourself eventually escalating your drinking back to the levels that had you concerned in the first place.

I recommend you set limits that keep your BAC below a .05 - generally meaning no more than one drink per hour and at that, four or less drinks per day (and NOT every day - lol).

"Moderation Management" recommends 30 days of NO drinking before trying out a drinking plan, during which time you examine your priorities, honestly look at how drinking has affected your goals and review how integrated drinking has become in your life.

They are on the web, though their website itself is not as helpful as it used to be, there are online groups and chats available.

It wasn't something I could do, but more can than can't - so, good luck!
Old 04-11-2010, 02:48 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gypsy Feet View Post
one drink for me would take it all away.
My feeling excately!
Old 04-11-2010, 06:06 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JoeRaisin View Post
SoberKarl,

If you believe moderate drinking is something you can do then please be smart about it.

Be careful of vague limits that can evolve into a "sliding scale" of the variables (times, amounts, functions, locations etc...). Without strict guidelines you may find yourself eventually escalating your drinking back to the levels that had you concerned in the first place.

I recommend you set limits that keep your BAC below a .05 - generally meaning no more than one drink per hour and at that, four or less drinks per day (and NOT every day - lol).

"Moderation Management" recommends 30 days of NO drinking before trying out a drinking plan, during which time you examine your priorities, honestly look at how drinking has affected your goals and review how integrated drinking has become in your life.

They are on the web, though their website itself is not as helpful as it used to be, there are online groups and chats available.

It wasn't something I could do, but more can than can't - so, good luck!
Not really but I do think that unless you are and Alcoholic (which perhaps I am) one should be able to have a glass of wine with a nice roast lamb as its a great combo and no diet coke will do the trick (taste wise).

As for people that have NEVER drunk - There is always something odd about them..... Even our good Lord turned water into wine so people can make merry.

My plan is to stay off the sauce - Period - but if confronted with it at a party/dinner, I need to have the strength to enjoy a "drink" without having to go home and sink another 6-pack.

Time will tell... Its been a week now and only 1 light beer at a BBQ. I still have nausea bought's which make me uneasy but I'm hoping they will go away.

THE BIG TEST - Is the Grand-Prix this weekend..... Its almost a religious thing for me.......
Old 04-11-2010, 08:24 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

As for people that have NEVER drunk - There is always something odd about them
Well that's a very insultive thing to say after I told you there's people in my family that have never drank. But ya know rather than waste anymore of my time I'll just move on from this post and wish you the best of luck with your recovery.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:00 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayWalker View Post
Well that's a very insultive thing to say after I told you there's people in my family that have never drank. But ya know rather than waste anymore of my time I'll just move on from this post and wish you the best of luck with your recovery.
I did say people I've met. Apologies if I caused offence.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:25 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

My plan is to stay off the sauce - Period - but if confronted with it at a party/dinner, I need to have the strength to enjoy a "drink" without having to go home and sink another 6-pack.
that was the problem for me Karl - I couldn't accept why I couldn't just drink one or two every so often on a special occasion.

It took me 20 years but I finally got it - I found it wasn't about strength at all - it was about acceptance.

Acceptance that I was an alcoholic - and I cannot drink alcohol safely. I cannot be sure that I can make it do what I want. Ever.

I wish you well mate - I just hope you don't take 20 years to work that one out like I did.

D
Old 04-11-2010, 09:29 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
On my path.

Your question was 'what would you do?'

I would ask for a water.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:33 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 55438 View Post
Your question was 'what would you do?'

I would ask for a water.

Next time.....