Notices

New to this site!!

Old 04-07-2010, 02:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this site!!

Hello all I am pretty new on here, I visited quite often to use the sobriety calculater and then noticed a forum section...

I have not had a drink in 150 days which is my longest period of sobriety ever. The thing is I don't go to meetings and pretty much focus heavily on doing a martial art called Brazilian Jiujitsu along with wrestling and some boxing. Is it frowned upon to use other things to stay sober then going to the traditional AA meetings?

I did go to an impatiant rehab for 28days and after that had a brief relapse but have been sober since.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Whatever keeps you sober is great! I don't 'frown on' any other methods of staying sober. Whatever means you use to stay sober is good, as long as you keep working on yourself and your recovery.

Welcome to SR!
Old 04-07-2010, 02:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Heathen

Well this isn't an "AA Forum", while lots of people here have participted in AA for recovery, a lot of us have found other things too!

Sorry, came back to edit this.. I work out, a lot.. and it certainly helped early on, especially with the anxiety, and to distract me and eat up some time otherwise spent drinking, or thinking about drinking. I needed to work on my RECOVERY, not just stay sober. I think that's where the idea of a 'program' comes in, not just distracting yourself from drinking. There's lots of ways to recover though, glad you're here!
Old 04-07-2010, 02:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to the Sober Recovery community.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations on your sober time....

There is no one way to stay sober
glad you are finding whatever works.

We do have a Forum dedicated to fitness
you might want to share there too

Fitness, Health, and Nutrition - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum...
Old 04-07-2010, 03:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow I feel very welcomed and glad I have found SR!
Old 04-08-2010, 09:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I am a little late with the catching up with the welcome wagon but I would like to say welcome and glad you are here.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rws177 View Post
Hello all I am pretty new on here, I visited quite often to use the sobriety calculater and then noticed a forum section...

I have not had a drink in 150 days which is my longest period of sobriety ever. The thing is I don't go to meetings and pretty much focus heavily on doing a martial art called Brazilian Jiujitsu along with wrestling and some boxing. Is it frowned upon to use other things to stay sober then going to the traditional AA meetings?

I did go to an impatiant rehab for 28days and after that had a brief relapse but have been sober since.
^^ i am a strong believer that the key is to replace an unhealthy addiction with a healthy addiction, and its all about lifestyle change.

exercise/healthy eating/rest is the best combination imo