Notices

Cant believe myself

Old 04-06-2010, 01:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cant believe myself

Hi all,

Well not really sure how to start this but maybe its best to jump right in.My name is Jay and Im a 39 year old American working in Eastern Europe.Basically Im on Day 1 and really have no clue how to get through this.Beer and alcohol is everywhere out here and in every facet of life.Im finally fed up with the hangovers,the assinine behavior and the ever present guilt plus the fact that Im only 39 but look like Im 50...Im so tired of hurting myself and more importantly the people who care about me.I guess what I really want to know is if this is even possible.I look at life without alcohol and all I see is a long stretch of nights alone at home bored out of my skull....yet at the same time if I continue down this path I know I will end up 6ft under or worse,in some jail cell..I thought to try out AA but the only group out here isnt in English so Im hoping SR can be a helping hand in this fiasco Ive created....anyways thanks for listening and any advice is very much appreciated
Old 04-06-2010, 01:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hello jay and welcome to SR.this is a fabulous tool in recovery,i use it along side AA.
im 38 this year and over a 20 year period it was one disaster after another,in the end i couldnt go on...but i couldnt live with it and i couldnt live without it.....what a place to be.i was terrified of what i was going to do without booze.i thought things would be boring too,but really what was i giving up? ill health,being unemployable,arguments,debt and worst of all a pain in my heart,a deep sadness.
it is great that you checked out AA,and although there is no english speaking ones,why not go along anyway? if you are like me you will feel like you are in the right place anyway,and somebody may speak english and take you aside.use everything you can.i need it all in my journey to help me along.
there is a site called xaspeakers with lots and lots of AA folk giving talks,this may be helpful to you too and help you decide if AA is for you.some awesome talks on there.
welcome again.
i wish you well.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey man i'm 39 this year and i was in the same boat as you last Summer before getting to AA. I looked 50 too, the good news is that when you quit it's like you rejuvinate!

I've moved around for the last 10 years but once over the fresh start in a new place which lasted from a few months years ago to a few hours in my last geographical i always found that i had bought myself along and everything went back to the living hell it always was...

In the end i had had enough and was ready to end it myself, my last chance was AA and they do deliver on their promises if you do the work:-)

Dying didn't scare me, another 10 years of my living hell did and i wouldn't have lasted another year without doing something logical at the time but now i know as downright stupid...

I'm in UAE at the moment btw and am English, hows Lithuania...never been?!
Old 04-06-2010, 06:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome.....glad you are here....

In your situation....AA does have a program...Loners
to find that and more AA info......

Alcoholics Anonymous :

There are also on line meetings and of course...SR
is great for support.....

Here is a link with info and some of our de tox experiences

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 04-06-2010, 07:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to the Sober Recovery community!
Old 04-06-2010, 07:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

WELCOME Jas!

I'm also in Europe and yes it can be difficult finding English speaking AA meetings. If you can't find English speaking meetings in your area, you can check here for online AA meetings:

here is the website where you can find online AA meetings:

Online Intergroup : Alcoholics Anonymous

I also found this website with information from 2006, so it might be out of date, but you never know:

VILNIUS TUESDAY 18.30
THE OLD CITY
Discussion Meeting Closed Style Meeting
Daukanto Sq 1, Holy Cross House, Vilnius eMail:[email protected]
Contacts: Anthony +370 612 94044, or Birute +370 652 85713
(non-smoking)
Last Updated: April 7, 2006

Here is the website where I found the information about Vilnius:
The Official Site of AA Continental European Region

You can contact them via the website to find out if there are International groups in your area.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for this support....I really appreciate it!
Old 04-06-2010, 11:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My day 1 as well

I am mid forties and drinking makes me look 50 and act 12

Gluck to both of us!
Old 04-06-2010, 12:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, Jas. I'm on day 45 or so. The fear of long days/nights of boredom really got to me as well, but I have found plenty of fun/productive things to keep me busy. It's amazing the things I've thought of to fill time that never dawned on me when I was a drunk.

SR has been a great resource to me and hopefully it will be to you also. Many of these folks are incredibly inspiring and wise.

Hang in there. Every day DOES get better!!!
Old 04-06-2010, 07:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Jas, my alcoholism really kicked into high gear when I lived in Eastern Europe for several months. I also told myself that "alcohol is in every facet of life", "everyone drinks", "drinking on the street is even looked at as okay", etc., but I was really deluding myself. Yes, alcohol is a big part of life for many people in E Europe, but it is also VERY frowned upon by many others, especially the well-educated and successful members of society (Vladimir Putin!).
Old 04-06-2010, 09:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You know all I can say is WOW....here I am sitting thinking Im alone in this battle and BLAM! I'm not...Its indeed a great thing! I know what I have to do and know that the hardest part will be the mental reprogramming and new methods of socializing..I have no idea why but peer pressure is actually an issue.I'm not the type of guy to go along with anyone just because they say..."Come one,everyone does" but with drinking that tendency is reversed....Ive always been the party guy....the guy everyone says.."Don't even ask Jay,He's in for a good time.We already know"....just need to get my head wrapped around saying..."I dont drink and thats the way I roll"....Fact is Im already getting flak from my mates about this choice but I think I know the reason why...seems to me that my choice to leave the sauce may be very threatening to them.For if I have a problem,then in all likelihood they do too.Be that as it may,I just cannot do this anymore
@Yeahgr ...mate you hit the nail on the head!!The thought of another 10 years of this is like looking into the abyss.I also have done the moving around....making excuses at each stop....well its the people,or the contract or the weather or the food....its not me.I cannot count how many girlfriends/friends I have lost because I got pissed and just turned into a lunatic
I want to thank everyone again...This support is well...it feels like a full tank of petrol after running dry in the Sahara.... And I will definitely check out the AA online groups and support...and looking forward to hang out here and getting some wisdom

JAy
Old 04-07-2010, 03:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

you are not alone jay.........
this can be that start of a whole new wonderful life for you.