Notices

Big time craving

Old 04-03-2010, 08:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Big time craving

Im at the point where i am gasping for a beer and going round and round in my mind that maybe im ok to drink and its all an over reaction.........ive been here before and caved! not going to but it just helps to write it here
Old 04-03-2010, 08:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Smile

if it Helps You Stew.. Keep on Posting!
Old 04-03-2010, 08:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

get it all out mate. Better that than to not and pick up the first drink. You wouldn't be posting on SR if it was an overreaction. That is just alcoholisms cunning, baffling and powerful abilities trying to get you to take that first drink.

Whatever you do just don't pick up and nail some Coca-cola or a big milkshake or something. Trust me after that then you won't be craving a drink. Got me through the early toughtimes.

Today I am feeling totally different to how I did yesterday. The point is a craving/thought will pass. If you don't act upon it then you will gain strength but if you cave then you'l be back to square one.

Play that tape through mate, what happens when the beers run out? keep posting.

peace
Old 04-03-2010, 08:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It does thankyou! im going to go for a long run hopefully curb this craving
Old 04-03-2010, 09:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes....action is a good way to overcome urges.
Great idea.....
Old 04-03-2010, 09:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cheers guys. NeoMarxist you nailed it when you said you wouldnt be posting on SR if it was an overeaction, that was the first thing that came to my mind. I have neither the desire nor the ability to keep coming back from the crippling hangover and feeling of "f*ck i wish i hadn't give it to that craving" anymore. Just drank alot of fluids etc to get rid of the thirst, feeling calmer now (Y)
Old 04-03-2010, 09:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's the way dude.

peace out. You will never regret not drinking but waking from that binge your mind is gonna be racing... and it ain't gonna be nice happy thoughts!!
Old 04-03-2010, 10:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If it helps to write it out then by all means post away bud. That's what I do as well when I get those cravings and it does help. Jump in the chat room as well when you get cravings I found talking direct to people here in the chat helps me a lot sometimes.

Getting out and doing something physical is a good idea. Physical exersion is a good way to get your mind back on track when those little thoughts start to creep in.

Steve
Old 04-03-2010, 10:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Quick consensus gathering:

Non alcoholic beer, good or bad? does it kill a craving or simple intensify it and make it linger around?
Old 04-03-2010, 10:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

infact, ive just found a thread about it on SR!
Old 04-03-2010, 10:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StewartUK View Post

Non alcoholic beer, good or bad? does it kill a craving or simple intensify it and make it linger around?

Even Non alcoholic beer does have Alcohol in it. I can't remember what the % is..I wanna say something like .5% or something like that. So it's not something you would want to drink if your trying to get sober. Even if it had 0% alcohol in it then it still wouldn't be good because it will give you the taste of beer and then you know what comes next, that taste will make you want to go get the real thing.

Steve
Old 04-03-2010, 11:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah, this is my thoughts to. Ive had Becks N/A before and it tasted like garbage anyway.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Stewart,
I can't remember if you said before if you were thinking of going to any AA meetings or not. It could really help you right now to be around people who know exactly what you are going through and get phone numbers and people to see to help you get through this.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

For me.. Thats what led me back to drinking like normal again..

6 pack of NA for a couple weeks.. then 2-3 beers... then 6-12 beers.. within 2 months I was back to 1.5 gallons of vodka a week..
Old 04-04-2010, 08:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Keep posting and know you have lots of support! Good Job for not drinking!
Old 04-04-2010, 08:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope things are better for you now Stewart

D
Old 04-05-2010, 04:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

For me, the only reason I drank beer was to get drunk. At first when I quit I thought I loved the taste. But when I got to the point I didn't want to get drunk (not even subconcious) it doesn't even sound good anymore.
So near beer is a bad idea.
Fred
Old 04-05-2010, 05:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Beer's always been a big passion of mine i love (loved) the taste of beer, could talk to you for hours about different countries beers etc so its a tough one for me to go without.

Dee, things are better, cravings have gone for now was a tough weekend I had a meal where i was offered a drink about 12 times!

Intention: I know exactly what your saying and i think you make sense, im just having trouble doing the first step of going
Old 04-05-2010, 06:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've never yet woken up sober and wished I had drank the night before. Good for you for getting past the craving. As you get more sober time the cravings will get less and less. Hang in there. :ghug3
Old 04-05-2010, 06:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Stewart I was the same mate. I used that as an 'excuse' as to why I couldn't commit to sobriety. You know what? Get over it... It wasn't worth it. It ain't that good to warrant destroying your life. I came to that startling realisation and I suddenly realised how pathetic it all is. Sure I may have to miss out on a beer festival or whatever but you know what? Most people in there aren't going to have their life totally destroyed by that pint of real-ale. They ain't alcoholics but I am. The police didn't care that i loved the taste of beer when they were locking me up in the cell for the night and when i was standing in the court the judge didn't care either. Still didn't sober me up mindyou. Took another 2 years untill I suddenly got another 'moment of clarity' and saw the wood from the trees and commited to 'action'.

Besides at 7.30am chasing the hangover away you realise that you're just killing yourself. Much better to get to a meeting or write it out on here and have any beverage but one containing alcohol in all reality. It ain't that good.

For what it's worth I wouldn't touch an NA beer. I would avoid that equally as much as a regular beer. I don't have any desire/compulsion to drink booze as I know for me that is suicide and just not worth it. I use alcohol-free mouthwash and don't eat any food product cooked in any alcohol based liquer/product. But that's just personal to me and everybody is different.