Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

functioning alcoholic...or what was your pattern?

Notices

functioning alcoholic...or what was your pattern?

Old 04-05-2010, 01:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Ugh, yes. I think that this made it worse for me. Took me longer than I wish it had to hit bottom. I was like Lifeis.
I did a lot of cooking and drinking out of coffee mugs.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I was a weekend binger, every few weeks. I'd obsess over it for a few days, not be able to sleep the night before because I was looking forward to it so much. The first evening would be a civilised meals with friends and then a late night bar until around 2am. Sometimes I wouldn't even blackout.

Then the 2nd day I'd wake up around 9-11am ish and start straight away. Completely a mess by late afternoon.

3rd day I'd start early again to clear the shakes and if I was visiting friends in order to make the train or car journey home bearable.

After that I'd feel miserable for at least a week, but the shame would make me work harder in the gym and eat really healthily. After a week or two I'd start obsessing over drinking again.

Sometimes the bender would last up to 6 days, these would take me to a very dark place. I'd cross roads in front of cars willing them to hit me. I just didn't care.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

I realized functioning was just an illusion. Took a deep bottom for me too. However, now I see I expended a ridiculous amount of energy just trying to live. and all I ever got was the appearance of "Average".

They say when active we are only 50% of who we really are. I found this to be true in my case.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

No my drinking was different from yours........mostly.
but its makes no difference..

different bus same destination.
and that destination being complete and utter desperation..
Old 04-06-2010, 03:36 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alizerin View Post
I realized functioning was just an illusion. Took a deep bottom for me too. However, now I see I expended a ridiculous amount of energy just trying to live. and all I ever got was the appearance of "Average".

They say when active we are only 50% of who we really are. I found this to be true in my case.
Interesting post, and I agree with every sentence.

To the original poster, yes, that was pretty much me too.

Regarding empty bottles: after 8 months, I'm still finding lost, mostly vodka bottles (all empties, of course) in really good hiding spots I'd forgotten about! And funny, a couple Sunday mornings ago as I was dressing I found a hidden nip in my closet. I mentioned it to my wife and she asked if it was full. Stupid question, but funny (now). :-)
Old 04-08-2010, 02:06 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
Honestly, I think the term functioning alcoholic is a complete oxymoron. Yeah by all appearances I kept a great job, home, marriage, no duis.. many years ago I actually would mix vodka in my beer to make it 'stronger', from a hidden vodka bottle. I stopped that once hubby found the bottles. Fast forward a few years, add availability of hard liquor at a grocery store (its otherwise illegal), and I was hiding vodka again, but chugging it straight and chasing it with juice.

Then one weekend I got economical and bought a gallon huge bottle.. and drank on a @unday morning to chase the shakes. I woke up in the ER with my husband and parents crying at my bed. My bac was .568, and I should have been dead. This stuff is horrible, and progressive.

I started drinking again 3 weeks laster, deluding myself and huby that id never 'get like that again'. 2 months later I was driven home from work at 9am for being drunk at work. I don't even remember it. I haven't drank since.
Wow Flutter, this reminds me of myself. I have been hospitalized twice with a BAC around that area. Also sent home from my office job on the account of being half drunk in the morning. It's comforting knowing I am not the only one who has done that before.