Notices

Drinking and Nostalgic Guilt

Old 04-01-2010, 01:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking and Nostalgic Guilt

It seems like spring has sprung in the northeast US. Anyone else working to deflect seasonal issues? Nice weather linked to a personal pattern of increased drinking? Or the opposite: colder locations to the north with increased consumption during colder, winter months.

How are you coping?
Old 04-01-2010, 01:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Heathen

Yeah, it's been really nice here a few days this week... and now that daylight savings and all.. it's light out, nice out, perfect bar/patio weather. Course, I also drank when I was snowed in.. nothing else to do right? Drank when I was mad, the wind blew east.. drank to sleep, to numb.. to feel.

Geeze I'm glad I'm off that ride. Glad I found other things to do, how boring my life was then!! The more sober time I have under my belt, the more I can associate sober days with next days (if that makes sense) so not everything has to be related back to alcohol/drugs for me.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I drank in every month and season....so
it's never been a factor in my recovery.

However....
April is my current D.OS. month ...I did make drastic
positive changes in my lifestyle to protect my early
sobriety. Don't regret any of them.

Good to see you here sharing.....
Old 04-01-2010, 02:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I bet there are some out there that drink more when it is warmer out of thirst or the party atmosphere of a cookout. For me though, I will have to answer like most of us here. I drank whenever, I didn't need a reason and I always still think about drinking when I get home at least for a minute or two.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Been almost 78 degrees here in Mi today. Nicer weather is actually easier for me to deal with things. I spend more time out fly fishing, at the cabin up north, and just hiking out in the woods and when I do those things that's when I'm happiest so the thoughts/urges don't creep in as much during this time of year.

Steve
Old 04-01-2010, 06:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I drank everyday ,like others have said. When I first quit I avoided all kinds of situations, because I knew I would find an excuse to drink.
Today after work I got out my chainsaw and chopped up 2 small trees, and thought how great it is not to be slave to that crap like I was.
When I used to smoke, I would take a break and smoke a cigarette to "relax". I quit about 10 years ago. I don't need a cigarette to "relax". It was an excuse to feed my cigarette addiction. I think booze is the same. I could come up with all kinds of reasons to feed my addiction. Like others have said. Snow, rain, too hot, beautiful day. "Beer break" Beer oclock Etc, etc.
I guess I have copped by realizing I don't need booze to enjoy life. It sure took me a long time to figure that out.
Fred