Notices

Non-alcoholic beers

Old 10-02-2003, 12:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Non-alcoholic beers

Seeking opinions:

Do you think it's OK or a bad idea to consume non-alcoholic beer as a drinking replacement?

Here's why I'm even contemplating:
I've never been much of a beer drinker personally, but I've got a father in law that regardless of how many times I tell him I don't drink anymore, he want's to have a beer with me every now and then. One idea I was toying with to fend him off was to buy a non-alcoholic beer with an English lable (he's Japanese and can't read English well) so he thinks we're drinking together.

As the lable says 0.0% alcohol I know it won't physically affect me.
Bad idea??? Anyone drink these?

Thanks
Old 10-02-2003, 02:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Lane,
Non-alcoholic beers(at least the ones I'm familiar with) have some alcohol in them. However, that's not the problem. As I see it the problem is the mental game behind wanting to drink something that tastes like beer. To me it's like going to a house of ill repute just to masturbate...it won't be long before that gets old and I go for the real thing. Tell your Father in Law you don't drink. That can be a problem I know, I lived in Japan for a couple years while in the navy so I know how the people like to celebrate, however I also know the amount of respect the people showed me while I was there. I'm sure your Father in Law will adjust with a little time.
The answer to your questions though is a resounding NO I don't think it's ok to drink NA beer.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Lane,

I agree with Music. When I was detoxing, my doctor told me that non-alcoholic beers DO have alcohol in them, and even though it's a small percentage, he said it's wise to stay away from it completely. Mainly because it gets your mind geared into the drinking mode again. I've realized that to put my sobriety first means to be honest with my family and peers on where I stand with drinking alcohol. Don't be afraid to be honest with your FIL. I'm sure once he finds out how improtant this is to you and your health he will be understanding. If he's not, then just don't let it bug you. Your sobriety comes first, afterall.

If he just wants you to drink something, then you can drink a soda or something!

Take care

PG
Old 10-02-2003, 06:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi and welcome!

There are several threads on this through out the forum you can read more by doing a search.

Must agree with the above, not a good idea! Your just setting yourself up for failure and it's a "mental thing" as well. Why risk it?
Old 10-02-2003, 07:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

Thank you everyone! I'll take your advice and tell my father in law I just preffer green tea!!

Lane
Old 10-02-2003, 12:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ok I need to put my two cents in this one....But first off I'm not recommending you use that kind of beer.

Hmm I thought there was a very small percent of alcohol in it, like Music has mentioned here. I know it is here, but I'm in Canada.

I've used that beer before when I've tried to stop drinking, it tastes ick, to malty, so guess what you stop at one. I'm a beer drinker Lane....well working hard on saying I WAS A BEER DRINKER.

Ok everyone, don't be giving me hec on this, just telling how it was for me, and I did stay away from the real mc coy when I drank that other malty icky stuff.

I'm not really sure if it was a mental thing with me, I don't care to much for sweet drinks....you know pop...sweet juices.

I'd go for the green tea too Lane, it's looking pretty darn good at this stage.

Denise
Old 10-02-2003, 12:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lane, I am no expert but I did stop drinking for 2 whole months once...as well as several couple weeks here and there. It was during one of these times I tried the non-A beer...BIG MISTAKE. All it is is putting you in the drinking mode all over again..and tasted awful...I actually got sick from it..something in that is hideous.

And Music is right...LOL Music!! Your too funny in your descriptions...still laughing on the "house of ill repute"..but Music is so right...I was doing real good then when I drank those non-a beers couldn't WAIT to have the real thing because a) they were so awful... and b) there was a tiny, inkling taste of alchohol which made my MIND want the real thing... Like trying to have a small piece of something you love...your better off never taking the piece.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

Thanks everyone,

I'm on a NEW drink now! Dry gingerale. Wow, that stuff's got a bite to it! It's my new going out drink.

I'm happy to say I haven't touched alcohol since September 19 and I'm feeling good. I gotta admit that I feel lucky in the fact that it really hasn't been very hard for me. I don't have a secret or can't explain why THIS time is different than my prvious attempts to quit (well, more on that in a sec.

Of course, the first week sucked, physically sick and couldn't sleep. But now I sleep great, feel great and really don't crave alcohol. I still go to the same places I used to, have the same friends (not many though) and almost eat the same. Just NO ALCOHOL.

The diff this time must have been my fear of losing my wife. She pretty much said "stop, or I'll leave." I said "OK" and we haven't talked about it since. A lot of you will probably think I'm going about this wrong but I'm not in AA (I don't think they have an English speaking group here anyway), I don't tell people I'm an alcoholic (Of course, I know it), I still put myself in positions were alcohol is present...there's even quite a bit in the house. I just don't want to drink.

One problem I am having though, and it's a little bit tripping my wife out is that I eat candy. I never did before but I can't get enough now. I know its the missing carb fix calling me and for now it's definitely better than a drink..and my weights been on the down this month but I'd like to cut the candy out too! This happen to anyone else when you quit drinking?

OK, sorry to have ranted on and on....I'm just happy about not drinking and wanted to tell someone. Thanks for 'listening'

Lane
Old 10-24-2003, 07:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you

are doing so well....

Yes...craving sweets is "mormal"
I use hard candy with no sugar.

You might want to have your doctor do a blood glucose test too.

Congrations On Your Sober Time!

:clap :clap :clap
Old 10-24-2003, 08:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Chy

Congrats to you on you 30+ days! Keep up the good work!

Yes the sweet cravings is normal, since alcohol breaks down into sugar, your body is missing the sugars's you were once supplying it with.

Chocolate worked for me but gave me a "coming down" feeling by the end of the day. So like Carol.. try to avoid sweets as much as possible... but it's better then booze!
Old 10-24-2003, 09:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Lane,

I wondered how you were doing; good to see you here. As for the sweets, well, I have never gotten over the craving. The only thing that keeps my weight in line is exercise. There is a natural "high" that comes with it too. Big plus!! Somehow, after I have been to the gym, or out dancing, I am happier, more relaxed, and don't crave the sweets. Staying sober is a lot about rebalancing your life.

Gianna
Old 10-24-2003, 01:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Lane, Welcome to the boards. I can tell you from experence that non-alcoholic beers led me back to drinking. I always said I enjoyed the taste but, the fact is I drank for the effect of the alcohol. When I tried to drink non-alcoholic beers I would still drink them fast searching for the BUZZ. I know people that are in AA that drink
it and feel it is OK. This one guy told me he goes up to New Hampshire, It's cheaper there, every week and picks
up 6 cases of Oduels. What's wrong with that picture? I think you have the right idea with the dry ginger ale. Everyone is different, so you have to decide what is good for you. In my case change is a part of my recovery and anthing to do with sitting around drinking something with any alcohol needed to be changed. I now live what I call a life of opposites. If, I do the
opposite of what got me into trouble, my life is the opposite of the mess it was in. Your father should enjoy your company, and not worry about what you are drinking while enjoying it. That is great 30 days. Keep up the good work. Don W
Old 10-26-2003, 02:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally posted by Lane
Thanks everyone,

I'm on a NEW drink now! Dry gingerale. Wow, that stuff's got a bite to it! It's my new going out drink.

Lane
Hi, Lane,
I think you're on to something here....there's some great ginger 'beer' on the market--very high quality, comes in a nice brown bottle, and you say your FIL doesn't know English so well? Just point at the word 'beer' on the label and tell him it's your special beer....
The really good stuff is imported from Jamaica. Maybe he'll give you some as a gift.
From what I've read, 'alcoholism' is a concept that hasn't really taken hold in Japan, and alcohol is a big part of business and celebration there. Planning for those daily triggers may be the key to your sobriety!

Yes, the sweet tooth is normal. I buy small packages of fancy ice cream now; costs a lot less than I was spending on wine, and I try to stick to the recommended serving size on the package....

Don S