Notices

AA meetings..first time

Old 03-26-2010, 07:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA meetings..first time

OK, so I am new to these forums and new to the idea that I may be an alcoholic!

Anyways I am heavily considering going trying to start going to AA meetings in my area. I am a bit nervous though and do not even know where to begin or what to expect?!?

Personally I think I would feel more at ease In a smaller setting...So can you pick and choose exactly which meeting you want to attend? Are the invite only? I know some meeting are "closed"...not really sure what that means.

What were some of your alls first time experiences with AA? Im nervous!

Thanks for any adivce
Old 03-26-2010, 07:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Here is the best link I have ever seen that explains it perfectly IMHO:

Your First AA Meeting
Old 03-26-2010, 08:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I selected my first AA meeting and went alone since I didn't know anyone at the club. I was nervous. At the beginning of the meeting they asked if anyone was attending an AA meeting for the very first time. I raised my hand and introduced myself. They told me that I was the most important person in the meeting and had a newcomer meeting just for me. They passed around a pamphlet with AA literature for newcomers and the men wrote down their names and phones numbers and suggested I start calling them. I felt welcome and stuck around after the meeting where lots of people welcomed me.

In my city you can Google AA to find meeting locations, times and if they are open or closed.

I felt better after attending knowing I was finally doing something about my drinking problem. All along all I had to do was just ask for help. I got a Sponsor, worked the steps and have stayed sober since. I love being sober today!

No need to study up for your first meeting! The most important thing you can do right now is just get up and go!

Let us know how you are doing.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great link from dgillz:-)

Closed means that only alcoholics willl be there, open means anyone can go, e.g. friends and family...

I remember my first meeting, i was nervous as hell so i can relate but you are really going into a room full of drunks like you, some of them will be recovered and these are the ones you are looking out for...they will have had a spirirtual awakening...

Bear in mind that AA's only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking so it is quite a mixed bunch at most meetings but look for the similarities and keep an open mind...go for it, could be the start of a new life for you...my life is totally different now and if i went into details how so you would not believe that i had been a daily drinker and contemplating suicide when i walked through the doors 8 months ago! (if you are making comparisons and aren't that bad yet keep going you'll get there, i used to be a weekend drinker and at 30 i was drinking maybe once every couple of weeks...).

You could always give them a call before going and express your concerns over the size of the meeting?!
Old 03-26-2010, 12:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

hey Jack
If louisville KY is where you live here's their AA website - it appears to have a thriving AA community!
Louisville, Ky Alcoholics Anonymous :: Home
My first meeting - like you I was sooo nervous...why in retrospect I don't know...possibly I knew it meant the 'start' of change, it was a big thing to admit that I was maybe an alcoholic, I had NO idea what to expect, would there be chanting, would the spotlight be on me, etc etc etc
All my fears - as has been the case with EVERYONE I ever heard of going to AA - were allayed. It was a safe peaceful beautiful place, and to this day an AA meeting is one of my favourite places in the world. Such humility, peace, joy it's incredible!
So...I would suggest just go...pick a meeting and go! I phoned ahead and got someone to meet me outside the meeting - they also offered to pick me up. That helped a lot. Remember we get to keep what we got by giving it away so by getting THEM to help YOU YOU are helping THEM stay sober! It's awesome! On your last thread you spoke of some of your fears...you don't need to tell anyone/make any grand gestures..just quietly go. THE ONLY requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. You don't even have to HAVE stopped you just need to have the desire to stop.
It has changed my life in so many positive - one of which is that it showed me a way to stop drinking, stay stopped and ultimately never wish to drink again. It helped me to be a better person. And a happy person. A useful person. Fulfilled. Peaceful. It's the biggest miracle and gift of my life and it starts by showing up to your first meeting.
Good luck!
Cathy31
x