Notices

New / Old Hobbies

Old 03-26-2010, 05:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New / Old Hobbies

I got a few questions.

Have you found things about your self that are new since stopping? Have you gone back to things you used to do for fun before you started drinking? Why the ?'s, I've been sober close to 2 months and every day my mind seems to be getting clear. I have all ways been a guitar player, but now I want to grow as a player. Couldn't before, cause I was to wasted to care. I also been open to other things but haven't found something I like. It seems everything is new to me like I was 20.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Tuco, i think thats cool that your findin all the things of interest..an enjoyment, that were lost in your drinkin time..An offers a lot of encouragement to fellow buddies..Tryin to get straight themselves..Cool,nice one.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, I had drank so long I really didn't know who I was anymore. I had totally lost my desire to do fun things and wound up drinking continuously toward the end.

After getting sober my mind became alive again and I pursued things that I had enjoyed in the past. Since I have always enjoyed electronics I got back into it and learned additional theory and now work on old vacuum tube devices for fun. I have a lot of sober friends now and we do non-AA related activities together plus tons of new phone numbers added to my cell phone since I have been sober. Sober rock & roll on the weekends. AA has helped me tremendously.

Playing guitar sober is very different. I have added a functioning brain to my playing today. So I am capable of learning new things, creating new music and remembering it the next day or week. My drinking had really stagnated my playing before.

I do not hide myself in booze now so I do feel the bad days as well as the good. The bottom line is that life is so much better sober I wouldn't trade this for anything.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post. It's an awesome reminder of how our clarity and renewed sense of life without drinking makes anything possible.

Hard to imagine those days when any of us might have been afraid to get sober, thinking our lives would be boring. Not so much...
Old 03-26-2010, 08:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes! I've really gotten so much more productive since I've been sober. Every night I try and do a little writing and reading, or both. This is in addition to working out, running, and just doing more things generally.

As stated before, sobriety wakes you up from your alcoholic daze and its like a rebirth. What a great feeling!
Old 03-26-2010, 11:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I never really stopped doing my hobbies and such when I was drinking so it's not some much that I've went back to things per say. But over the past couple months now that I'm sober I have noticed lately that I am finding more enjoyment in those things more so than before. Now I actually look forward to getting up early in the morning so I can get started on the things I want to do each day.

Steve