Notices

Well, the weening off thing didn't work so well

Old 03-25-2010, 02:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well, the weening off thing didn't work so well

Hi everyone,

Thank you for having me back. That weening thing seemed like it was going good, but then just buckled while I bounced from good day to bad day and then just all bad days.

So now it's around 5 pm on day one. No drinks yet and no intention to. My Mother-in-Law and Sister in Law live upstairs and I spoke to each of them today about my problem and asked for support. I spoke to my wife and pleaded for her to understand that I have a legitimate problem that is affecting my life, her life, my personality where I used to be confident and now just always feel like a loser who has no control over fingers that open cans and arms that bring cans to my lips.

The economy has been killing my business since 2009 and I just watched it dwindle to nothing, hoping for change. I lost my confidence to go out and sell aggressively and lost a few big jobs that I had leads on because I couldn't commit... I only wanted jobs that I could do in my home shop so that I could drink all day. I know that's where my head has been at. Now I have so little and feel so little.

I was thinking of finding an AA meeting tonight if I could find one, but I am too sick today. I have attempted every single possible other method to stop drinking and failed miserably. I spent from 1997 - 2005 in denial, and the last five not in denial of having a problem, but denial that there might be a solution or help for me.

Please hope for me that this is my bottom.

Thank you for reading.
Rimmy
Old 03-25-2010, 03:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Rimmy View Post
I was thinking of finding an AA meeting tonight if I could find one, but I am too sick today.
We never shoot our wounded Rimmy, I'm glad you're back and I'll pray you find your way to recovery, a plan of action and a program that works for you.

You don't need to be "well" to go to an AA meeting, most of us end up there when we're at our sickest. It ain't exactly a hotbed of health

But.......you never have to feel this way again. AA gave me a life beyond my wildest dreams and expectations, and it's all free. You're already paying the price.

Please, keep reaching out for support.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah.. Weening didn't work for me... I cut from 3 half gallon bottles to one... that lasted like 2-3 weeks.. then went back to 2.. then 3.. then 4.. ugh..

Just know deep down you can do it..

And you can!
Old 03-25-2010, 03:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I've yet to meet the person weaning worked for.

Find a meeting, hon.
Get yourself some support.
Then go back .
And go again.
Read the book.
And then hit a meeting.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Rimmy,
I tried all that stuff so many times it is ridiculous. I didn't believe I was an alcoholic in spite of overwhelming evidence. Finally on my last trip to detox I decided to give AA a try in spite of my better judgement.

I have been sober ever since. All I had to do was ask for help. You can do it too!!
Old 03-25-2010, 03:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Cant' beat the price, IMO.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Weaning is very very difficult to do. I've only been able to stop drinking by weaning off once. All my other failures I needed medical help or support from someone else. A meeting would be a good place to be if you're not too sick to sit in a chair for an hour and be around people who understand you.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you came back with us....and are making a fresh start.

Please check out the top sticky post about de toxing.
don't hesitate to go to an ER if you run into difficulties.

All my best as you move forward...
Old 03-25-2010, 07:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Glad you came back with us....and are making a fresh start.

Please check out the top sticky post about de toxing.
don't hesitate to go to an ER if you run into difficulties.

All my best as you move forward...
Thanks Carol. I have a ride and someone to watch over me should I worsen. I told my uncle today about all the morning/daytime drinking and he came over tonight to see how I was and brought some Sleepy Time Tea, a lemon and lots of support. My stomach is sore from puking up anything I eat or drink, but I keep eating and drinking... If I keep it down for 1/2 hour, I should get something from it.

But yeah, this sucks. Then again, I knew it would. If anything worsens, or it doesn't get any better by tomorrow, I'll probably go to the ER or the one hospital has in-patient care for sure and possibly out-patient. But I can't do this for two and three more days and I'm not going to drink a beer for relief like all the other times I tried to quit or cut back. That obviously never worked out right even once.

Rimmy
Old 03-25-2010, 07:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I weaned for about two weeks but started to balloon back up by the third. I stopped cold turkey at that point and so far held off the desire. So, to a small degree, weaning did work for me. I think though that no matter how you decide to quit you just really have to want it bad enough.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sending prayers your way for strength in allowing your body to rid itself of the toxins. Glad you have support and someone with you in case you need medical assistance.

Please remember that how you feel right now will just keep repeating itself over and over, and will invariably get worse.

Also remember that things have to be taken from our hands in order for new things to be placed in them.

Hang in there, let your body recover - you WILL feel better.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was finally able to keep some banana and tea and water down last night. That helped a little bit. I knew I wouldn't sleep well, so I just stayed up till 1:00. I pretty much just rested until 7 this morning, but I never really slept more than a few minutes at a time.

I'm gonna try and do something I havn't done in a long time... EAT something in the morning for breakfast. A little something with some decaf tea should start the day off, if it doesn't make me sicker.

Thanks to all for your thoughts.

Rimmy
Old 03-26-2010, 08:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hope you feel better today, Rimmy!