Notices

Day 49 for me but BF still drinking

Old 03-25-2010, 01:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

Day 49 for me but BF still drinking

Hi All - I have reached day 49. 49 lovely sober days. I only weakened once and thought about drinking. I was feeling self-destructive, but I managed to put it aside and now I am at happy, hangover-free day 49.

BF isn't doing well. He's "good" for a little while and then he's just a drunk again. Came home from work soused yesterday, stumbling around and being stupid. I slept on the couch and he apologized this morning. "Sorry babe, please come to bed." He stayed home from work to pack up as we're moving on Monday. But of course I came home and he had done very little and is passed out as I type these words. There's a half-empty (not half-full) bottle of red wine in the kitchen. Beer was possibly involved as well.

Now he's stirring cause he hears me typing. He knows he's getting to end of my willingness to cope with this, as much as I love him. I should really not move with him on Monday but find an alternative. I have some money - I could do it. It's so drastic though. I was down this road before with my ex-AH and with myself. I know what I have to do here but it's hard. Like so many of them, he's a treat to be around so much of the time but he just can't sustain.

He's got the signs of illness - the pepto bottles, the "I can't eat greasy food now that I'm older" delusion, the vomiting - it's eating his insides out. He confessed to me that when he drinks hard liquor the night before, his hands shake at work in the morning.

This is so hard.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WantsOut View Post
Hi All - I have reached day 49. 49 lovely sober days. I only weakened once and thought about drinking. I was feeling self-destructive, but I managed to put it aside and now I am at happy, hangover-free day 49.

BF isn't doing well. He's "good" for a little while and then he's just a drunk again. Came home from work soused yesterday, stumbling around and being stupid. I slept on the couch and he apologized this morning. "Sorry babe, please come to bed." He stayed home from work to pack up as we're moving on Monday. But of course I came home and he had done very little and is passed out as I type these words. There's a half-empty (not half-full) bottle of red wine in the kitchen. Beer was possibly involved as well.

Now he's stirring cause he hears me typing. He knows he's getting to end of my willingness to cope with this, as much as I love him. I should really not move with him on Monday but find an alternative. I have some money - I could do it. It's so drastic though. I was down this road before with my ex-AH and with myself. I know what I have to do here but it's hard. Like so many of them, he's a treat to be around so much of the time but he just can't sustain.

He's got the signs of illness - the pepto bottles, the "I can't eat greasy food now that I'm older" delusion, the vomiting - it's eating his insides out. He confessed to me that when he drinks hard liquor the night before, his hands shake at work in the morning.

This is so hard.

I am really sorry. I really cannot begin to imagine the frustration you are going through.
Has he admitted himself that he has a drinking problem? Did he even think that you had a drinking problem at any point?
Old 03-25-2010, 01:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not easy stopped..Tryin to stop around your partner/spouse still knockin it back..In the same Predicament..Though theres a young child involved..That needs at least one of us in the response zone...would be easy to split if it werent for this...Tryin damm hard to hold my sober ground here.. sure is tough..hope you make the right decisions..well done on your sober time..thats Awesome..
Old 03-25-2010, 03:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 49 days! That is a great accomplishment. Stay strong and don't lose focus on your own sobriety. You can do it.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Dime View Post
Congrats on your 49 days! That is a great accomplishment. Stay strong and don't lose focus on your own sobriety. You can do it.
Can't say much more than that. Congratulations, please keep doing the next right thing for you.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Whether you leave him or stay with him, don't forsake your sobriety.

:ghug3
Old 03-25-2010, 04:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Leaving and living apart may help him to see his bottom.....
Old 03-25-2010, 06:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done on your sober time WO.....

I did leave my still drinking lover to protect my
early sobriety. My new goals and lifestyle
simply did not mesh with his continious boozeing.