Notices

Relationships Surviving Sobriety

Old 04-13-2010, 09:11 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Thanks Snarf. I hope it works out too. Right now I'm some combination of pissed, frustrated and sad.

Pissed because we went to the hospital for something completely unrelated to his mental health and he knew that if he mentioned the voices they would committ him. He says he doesn't want to be committed, etc. so why would you tell the hospital this when you KNOW what's going to happen?

Frustrated because this is flat out draining. It sucks to have to take care of someone and increasingly I feel that I have to take care of him. He doesn't make much of an effort with getting his schizo under control besides taking his medication (which he doesn't always do) because he "can't afford it" (yet can afford weed, mind you). So I am always reminding him to take his pills and asking that he call his doctor about things.

Sad because this has started to really affect how I feel about our relationship.

I don't want to worry about this stuff anymore. I have my own stuff to worry about right now. It's not his fault that he's got these issues and it's not my fault that I became an alcoholic (or is it). Right now I want to focus on myself for once and not worry about his BS. I feel like I shoudl be able to manage both things, but I just can't right now.

Whew....feels good to vent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-13-2010, 02:12 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

"Frustrated because this is flat out draining. It sucks to have to take care of someone and increasingly I feel that I have to take care of him. He doesn't make much of an effort with getting his schizo under control besides taking his medication (which he doesn't always do) because he "can't afford it" (yet can afford weed, mind you). So I am always reminding him to take his pills and asking that he call his doctor about things."

Again: Did I forget to say?:

Hey Fuzzy, there's an awsome website:

Psychology & mental health forums

(full of different conditions) Find the schizophrentic forum in there. Lot's of people to give solid adive on that aspect.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:42 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Fuzzy, your post sounds a lot like the things my fiancee used to say to me. I know she was pissed because I kept getting drunk and doing stupid stuff. I knew what would happen if I started drinking. Why would I keep doing that? (In her mind, of course. She didn't see me as an alcoholic, she just couldn't understand why I couldn't stop drinking so much.)

"Frustrated because this is (was) flat out draining. It sucks to have to take care of someone (me)and increasingly I feel that I have to take care of him (she felt she had to take care of me). He doesn't make much of an effort with getting his schizo (drinking)under control besides taking his medication (which he doesn't always do) because he "can't afford it" (yet can afford weed, mind you). (couldn't always afford rent, but I could afford beer and weed, mind you)

Sad because it was really starting to affect the way she felt about our relationship. To the point where I had literally been told to leave, but by the grace of God I was able to hang around long enough to show her some changes.

She didn't want to worry about my stuff anymore. She had her own stuff to deal with, and I was a drunk who didn't handle his business and always had an excuse for everything. But she wanted to focus on us, and I couldn't because I always had alcohol in my system.

Man, it sucks when that fog is lifted and you really see all the things you did that contributed to the downfall of your relationship and hurt the person you love most. But it just makes me not want to ever make those mistakes again.

I hope you'll be able to find happiness no matter what happens.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:53 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Snarf - I'm sorry that things didn't work out for you, but on the upshot you learned a lot about yourself and are now in a sober and hopefully happier place! It is very painful hurting the ones you love most (been there plenty of times and ruined my share of relationships *sigh*).

It does get very draining trying to take care of yourself and the person you're in a relationship with. Relationships should be about teamwork! That said, there isn't always a balance and right now the scales are tipped to my side. I think that my bf and I can get through this....it's just a lot to deal with. Today I'm going to look into therapy to help deal with my alcoholism and stuff relating to him. Venting on here is fine and you all do have good suggestions, but it isn't enough.

My dramafied week has gotten somewhat better. He's getting out of the hospital today and is starting a new combination of drugs. Keep your fingers and toes crossed
Old 04-18-2010, 05:01 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

How's about an update Fuzzywuzzy? :-)