Notices

Relationships Surviving Sobriety

Old 03-23-2010, 10:09 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Oh, I'll also add.

I don't care how sick someone is. They are not entitled to be an @sshole. My STBX had awful reumatoid arthritis. He was a true chithead. I told him, ya know, I know people who were on chemo less miserable. And I do too.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:09 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by loveon2legs View Post
....is he a drinker??
He rarely drinks which I am so thankful for! When he does drink he stays away from me so I don't smell it and has hidden all of the alcohol in the house so I don't have to look at it. If he didn't do those things, then we would have a REAL problem! lol

Thanks for the kind words
Old 03-23-2010, 10:12 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alizerin View Post
I don't care how sick someone is. They are not entitled to be an @sshole.
Exactly.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

What is an STBX?
I don't care how sick someone is. They are not entitled to be an @sshole.
And Alzerin, that was my entire point in my last post.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

STBX - Soon to be Ex. He couldn't stay sober.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:36 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Southbound View Post
What is an STBX?

And Alzerin, that was my entire point in my last post.
I don't feel that I'm entitled to be an ******* (or shall I say "chithead" lol)! Hence why I'm posting here and trying to figure a way to work it out
Old 03-23-2010, 10:42 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

^
Exactly.

What drew me to your posts was that in the first one when you spoke of your boyfriend, it was regarding how you are now as opposed to how you were while drinking. Ya became more Bit#hy after getting sober. Our self esteem is low, low while drinking. When we gain some confidence, we see how we are treated and how we have been treated. Then we get ANGRY.

Welcome to codependency. It's common among people involved with sick people. We get completely entangled.

What we have to learn is our new personal responsibility now in recovery to find the middle way. Codependency recovery has helped me immensly.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:45 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alizerin View Post
When we gain some confidence, we see how we are treated and how we have been treated. Then we get ANGRY.
I completely agree. However FFSacks has not indicated that her boyfriend has ever mistreated her.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:51 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Fuzzy Quote: "Things that didn't bother me when I was a drunk bother me now and I get upset more."

Call it women's intuition.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:54 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Southboud: :-)

Your curiosity has spiked my curiosity - Do you have health problems?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:08 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I was diagnosed with Schizophrenia almost 7 years ago. It is, by far, the most misunderstood disease that there is. We are not all violent, most of us are just very scared. It just disturbed me to see that Sacks was taking her frustrations with life out on her physically, mentally, and emotionally handicapped boyfriend, especially when there was no indication of him ever mistreating her.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:13 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

My tinker box is tinkling...

Alizerin: Lived with a very miserable man with illness
Southbound: Lives with illnes and not understood by others

Fuzzysacks: Caught in the middle!

Old 03-23-2010, 11:14 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

I don't even think we're talking to you anymore Fuzzy!
Old 03-23-2010, 11:15 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

No physical or emotional abuse, but there are lots of personality differences that I now notice that aren't agreeing with me. Doing a half assed job cleaning because he feels he can get away with it (in his defense, I was not very clean myself when I was drinking). Smoking inside despite repeatedly being asked not to (his house too, but if you're going to smoke inside, at least tell me to f*ck off instead of repeatedly telling me you won't). Not seeming all that interested in anything that's going on with me. Rarely wanting to do much besides smoking pot, sitting in front of the internet or playing video games.

These things are personality differences, for the most part. Before I didn't care about any this crap because all I wanted to do was sit around and drink. He could be dirty and I would be too. I didn't want to have a life because drinking was more important. He didn't have to seem interested in my daily life because I would drown all of that out with drinking. Now I want a life...and I want him to be a part of it! Instead I find that I'm basically fending for myself and it's painful. I'm sure that some (most) of my lashing out has to do with that.

The "old" me is coming back, for better or worse. I hope we can make things work because I do love him and believe he loves me. He's a good person and it's unfortunate that how I really am (sans alcohol) is different than who he fell in love with, but what can you do? Either I keep up with being sober or I go back to drinking. I'll stick with not drinking
Old 03-23-2010, 11:24 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

"it's unfortunate that how I really am (sans alcohol) is different than who he fell in love with, but what can you do?"

<smile> yer too new to tell who you are! Trust me, you'll end up being a much better person once the crazies drain out. And they will.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:24 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Southbound View Post
I was diagnosed with Schizophrenia almost 7 years ago. It is, by far, the most misunderstood disease that there is. We are not all violent, most of us are just very scared. It just disturbed me to see that Sacks was taking her frustrations with life out on her physically, mentally, and emotionally handicapped boyfriend, especially when there was no indication of him ever mistreating her.
Sorry that you too are dealing with schizophrenia. It's a scary disease, from what I've seen.

My boyfriend can't help his schizophrenia or physical handicapp. I cannot help the fact that I turned out to be an alcoholic. When he has an episode, goes to the hospital, or I find him in the bathtub trying to kill himself, I deal with it because it's part of his disease. I don't tell him to GET IT TOGETHER, because I know he can't help it. When I'm moody sometimes, he should deal with it because it's part of my disease/recovery. For christs sake...I'm only human. I am not perfect (nor do I want to be) and should not be expected to because of his issues.

You make it sound like I'm constantly berating him and that is NOT the case.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:30 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

My intent was not to make it sound like you constantly berate him. I don't know either of you, or either of your situations, other than what you have posted. I am sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel like that, Fuzzy.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:34 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

It's okay. Sorry I was getting angry. I can't expect anyone on here to really know me or my situation with my bf because, like you said, you only know what I've posted.

All I really know is that I've been wrong to him (and others) lately and I want to fix it. That sums it up nicely

Friends? :P
Old 03-23-2010, 11:35 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Hey, it's all good!

We're alcoholic women, we're touchy - but we know it. ;-)
Old 03-23-2010, 11:40 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

It's like PMS x a thousand. ACK!