Notices

Help finding a good rehab

Old 03-22-2010, 10:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help finding a good rehab

I am about at the rock bottom level and I am ready to sober up. I know I can definitely get lower, but I know now that I am not wanting to go through that. I have no health care and I am completely broke. My family is definitely willing to help me out and send me somewhere, but we can't find a good place. I have seen places where they can't even have a TV because someone will steal it. I want to be able to have a guitar in my room and play with headphones and not worry about someone stealing it. At this point it'd be easier for my family to just pay me money for alcohol and pay my rent and not worry about it. I also am going to need to go through a detox program because when I withdrawal I go through DTs. I know AA is a solid option, but at this point it'd just make me want to drink more. I told my dad to just throw me in a rehab for 30 days and give me no money and just make this happen, but we're having a hard time finding the right place.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Where are you located roughly? I know of a couple in the Southeast but they are all 90 days not 30.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Your doctor or a counselor would probably have some good referrals... I haven't been to rehab and I'm sure there are some that are 'better' than others, but that should be viewed in the quality of treatment, not necessarily the material aspects, ya know? Best of luck to you!
Old 03-22-2010, 12:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi again Slayer....

I strongly suggest you get a free supervised de tox
from a Salvation Army faciltiy. Be safe please.

I did not go to a rehab....instead sraight into AA.
I know many people who used the free Salvation Army
rehabs ......my adult children did....several times.

Why do you think you need a rehab?
A de tox yes....I can see that but.....???

I'm really pleased you are heading into a
healthier sober future....Good for you....

Please check your PM box.....I imagine our SR
members will be sending you various links.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Recently, I have noticed a lot of rehab related posts on here. I went to rehab at the Betty Ford Center out in Palm Springs. It was a good program and it was very well structured. Wake up was at 6am every morning. Anyways, the whole time there, I was really irritated that my family paid 30k for 30 days in-patient. I thought it was ridiculous for that kind of price. A lot had to do with the fact that I felt guilty and shameful that my family was paying a price for my mistake. After leaving the place, I was 10 months sober but I was pretty much a dry drunk. I went in with an open mind and everything and had the intentions to change my life. Eventually, I fell back into my old habits and relapsed. I didnt go to AA meetings and I didnt work any program.

I hope you dont take this the wrong way but going to rehab is not going to magically solve your alcoholism. From your post, it sounds like you think rehab will make everything better and if i'm interpreting it incorrectly, I apologize. Doing the detox with qualified medical supervision is a must. I actually was already 2 weeks sober before heading into rehab so I didnt do a detox through them. From the other responses, it sounds like Salvation Army offers a free and safe detox center. I would suggest to do that first and then weigh your options. I am in no way knocking on rehabs but the reality is that our disease is a lifelong battle. Nothing can cure us over night or even within 30,60 or 90 days.

To this day, I always dwell on my rehab experience. I think what if I just went to AA and truly worked the program then I would have saved my parents 30k. I know it is in the past and I should leave it there but my mind wanders. People also tell me that maybe my higher power had me go there and then relapse in order to lead me to where I am at now. I dont know.

My point is that rehab is expensive and it sounds like monetary funds is an issue. Like I said, do the Salvation Army detox and then weigh your options. Dont just jump into a rehab center.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Recovery has good points. I did two stints in rehab, while I did learn a lot from each experience, neither kept me clean and sober. I relapsed after about a month after the first one and immediatly upon release on the second.

AA can give you a good structured program to follow. That is one of the main things you will learn in rehab anyway. I'm not saying rehab is a bad thing in any way, it's just that too many people want to look at it as a solution to the problem when we are really the problem.

As for finding a rehab you would find suitable for yourself, just check here on the site, there are hundereds listed. Which ever way you go, you're still the one who will have to do the "heavy lifting". Best of luck. Take care.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Is dgillz still waiting for you to PM where you are in the country?

I know people who have been to rehab and stayed sober and those who haven't...

I don't know which one you will be as i am not God, but i do know that if you don't go to a 12 step rehab you are going to be wasting your parents money IMO and Experience:-)
Old 03-22-2010, 09:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I live in Canada so I'm of little help here but do they have outdoor recovery places? Sounds like you'd do awesome at a "rehab ranch" like they have around these part where you get more open space & fresh air, nature, etc.
Good luck!
Old 03-22-2010, 10:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Carol is very right as usual :]