Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Feeling really low & dealing with panic attack...

Notices

Old 03-13-2010, 04:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey everyone,

Just feeling really low today. Scared, dumb and dealing with major panic attacks ... just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for getting over it.

Thanks
Old 03-13-2010, 07:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR. Please keep reading in the different forums, I'm sure you'll find words that will help.

I found that once I finally got sober, the panic/anxiety attacks stopped.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I've never had a panic attack...I have no experience with
them Very sorry this is happening to you....

Have you called your doctor for assistance?
That's always a wise idea.

We also have a Forum dedicated to Anxiety Disorders.
Are panic attacks the same as anxiety?
You could also check here

Anxiety Disorders - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Welcome back to SR...
Old 03-13-2010, 09:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

I had them terribly when I was first sober. I tried to see what my triggers were to avoid them. They subsided when I became a little more at home in the meetings. When I started to establish friendships. I've recently seperated from my husband and I've been a bundle of nerves. It's like one big long anxiety episode. I have to stop what I'm doing and take deep breaths. I also generally just move slower, my jaw gets tense. I notice I'm much calmer after visiting friends. Solitude is my enemy when I get like this.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would definitely encourage you to speak to your M.D. I am almost four years sober, and I still do occasionally get panic attacks, though they are extremely rare. My panic attacks are such that deep breathing does not help, b/c I feel like I can't breathe. I do have a script for an anti-anxiety that I take as needed (which is about once or twice a month). I have friends in program who take theirs every night before bed: Everyone is different.

Medication is a last resort for me. I know that when I start to feel anxious, what I need is a good, long, meditative walk outside (weather permitting). When the weather is not cooperating, I try to get to the gym--even if it's just for 20 minutes! That's just me.

Why do I have panic attacks now? Not over the little things, like I used to, but over that fact that my life is so full (sometimes too full) from being and staying sober. I am in grad school (a gift of sobriety), and sometimes I am simply overwhelmed by the amount of work, my anxiety about not being able to complete it (which I always do), and anxiety related directly to my self-esteem (I'm not good enough, smart enough, stable enough, etc.). Which is why I need to work a program of recovery and stay in the now.

Wow, writing all that was a good reminder for me, so thanks for letting me share.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your responses. Gonna see an addiction counsellor this week, gonna discuss all that and hopefully find some answers.