SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Day 21....I have a question?? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/196278-day-21-i-have-question.html)

shantra32 03-07-2010 03:15 PM

Day 21....I have a question??

Does anyone else have a crazy appetite when they quit drinking?? I'm wondering if it's boredom or I'm trading one addiction for another?? Jeez...I hope not!!.....Dont get me wrong......I'm eating healthy but it's ALL I'm doing!........Anyhow........I'm in the 20's............I hope everyone had a safe and sober weekend.......take care of you.....

zandre 03-07-2010 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by shantra32 (Post 2535781)
Does anyone else have a crazy appetite when they quit drinking?? I'm wondering if it's boredom or I'm trading one addiction for another?? Jeez...I hope not!!.....Dont get me wrong......I'm eating healthy but it's ALL I'm doing!........Anyhow........I'm in the 20's............I hope everyone had a safe and sober weekend.......take care of you.....

The 2nd time I quit and this time (my third attempt) I was very hungry after week 1. I've been eating quite a bit quite frequently but have been eating healthy and honestly that is good for the metabolism and should lead to weight loss if you can keep the food healthy. I am eating probably 5-6 times a day. Congrats on the sobriety!

Paulos 03-07-2010 03:54 PM

Yes I have had quite an appetite at times, especially for sugar filled foods... especially in my earlier alcoholism when I was quitting, alcohol withdrawal can do that to you!

Sometime 03-07-2010 04:01 PM

I suppose you are replacing it a little bit with eating as alcohol contains many calories. But soon you'll settle down I'm sure and like you say it's healthy at least.

My crutch is tea drinking (typcial brit). It just seems to help those cravings. But I'm cutting back and it's going ok. Maybe you need to do the same with eating soon.

Toronto68 03-07-2010 04:25 PM

Shantra, I think I noticed wanting to eat big-time during the first month or so. I don't know how much of it was a true body reaction or a mind thing ("do something else" now that I am not drinking). But....now that I think of it, I am having complete meals every day now; rarely will I skip one. In the past, it was very common for me to skip dinner, because I was so busy getting drunk. So that lunch was basically the only real meal I was having for quite a while. Wanting to eat regularly and wisely is the better choice for us!

Spawn 03-07-2010 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by shantra32 (Post 2535781)

when I got straight I noticed that food was "good" Before I just ate what ever to stay alive,........now I took up cooking again,...yes I like to eat.