Notices

Blood pressure normal after 4 years......:)

Old 03-01-2010, 04:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Blood pressure normal after 4 years......:)

I can't believe it! Four years ago, when I started drinking alot...my blood pressure shot up to 202/169 at one point. The doctor didnt understand why I hadnt had a stroke.......the doctors didnt know I was drinking either and couldnt figure out the problem. I have been on meds since then and have never seen my blood pressure lower than 130/90 in these four years. During the last year, I drank weekends only but it still wouldnt go down. So I go to the doctor today and he takes my blood pressure and after 15 days sober.......120/80......I couldnt believe it!........If that's isnt motivation....I dont know what is!! I had to share this because it made me very happy. I can't believe in just 15 short days......my blood pressure is finally back where it should be. HAPPY MONDAY!!
Old 03-01-2010, 04:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

That's really good news!

My BP has also gone back to normal with sobriety.
I take no BP med's either.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
That's really good news!

My BP has also gone back to normal with sobriety.
I take no BP med's either.

Were you ever on meds?.......my hope is that sometime down the road, I can maybe go off of my blood pressure meds but I will discuss that with my doctor.....I'm just shocked that it happened so fast.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shantra32 View Post
I can't believe it! Four years ago, when I started drinking alot...my blood pressure shot up to 202/169 at one point. The doctor didnt understand why I hadnt had a stroke.......the doctors didnt know I was drinking either and couldnt figure out the problem. I have been on meds since then and have never seen my blood pressure lower than 130/90 in these four years. During the last year, I drank weekends only but it still wouldnt go down. So I go to the doctor today and he takes my blood pressure and after 15 days sober.......120/80......I couldnt believe it!........If that's isnt motivation....I dont know what is!! I had to share this because it made me very happy. I can't believe in just 15 short days......my blood pressure is finally back where it should be. HAPPY MONDAY!!
You really should share your history with your doctors. Hypertension is caused by many reasons, and they need to know what those reasons are to prescribe the best therapy for you. Quitting alcohol will lower lower your blood pressure, but you really need to tell your doc the truth.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by Rangerbob View Post
You really should share your history with your doctors. Hypertension is caused by many reasons, and they need to know what those reasons are to prescribe the best therapy for you. Quitting alcohol will lower lower your blood pressure, but you really need to tell your doc the truth.

I have......doc knows the whole story now ....he didnt four years ago..when this all started...hypertension is in my family but my alcohol consumption didnt help it. My doctor is well aware of what has been going on.......I am under doctors care now for these issues
Old 03-01-2010, 04:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes....I had been taking a low dose of BP
med's during my drinking years.
I was also working high stress jobs ...I got out of
that field to protect my early sobreity.

I surmise....as did my doctor....that both were factors
before in my dramatic change for the better...
20 years ago......
Old 03-02-2010, 11:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am the same, 15 Days into Sobriety and my diastolic (lower number) is now running in the high 70s from the 90s....

I cut my Atenolol (which is a beta blocker) back to once a day from twice....because if I run too low i get dizzy at night....also my resting HR is much lower..and I haven't even started exercising regularly yet.

I am hoping to build up my cardiovascular strength and endurance and go off the meds completely after I drop 10 lbs.