Notices

Questioning Future

Old 03-01-2010, 12:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Questioning Future

Hi, first time post so im not entirely sure if this is the correct section of the forums to put this. I need help figuring out what my future holds instore for me, i recently got my 3rd DUI and i am only 20 years old(i guess alcoholism doesnt discriminate against age). I am currently going to school to become an Industrial Electrician, but will anyone hire me with my background? Is there even a point to continue school, im hoping someone has a like experience that could shed some light on my current situation. I will continue to get help with my addiction regardless of my decision, but i feel like my future is already set in stone, please help.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Parksogt46n2

I'm not an American and I've not familiar with your field, so I have no idea I'm afraid.

I suspect your career is not over tho - if you act now.

My advice is to keep equally working hard on your recovery and your studies, and make this most recent DUI your last.

Let your academic results and the character references of your teachers and peers do the talking

Welcome to SR
D
Old 03-01-2010, 04:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Park, there might be someone who comes in here who can give you some advice on that. I suggest you also do some surfing on monster.com with an alias and see what people are saying in the discussion boards there (that topic may have come up).

You ask whether you should bother with finishing school as an elec. Well, what would you do instead? According to the salary wizard for your area, a newbie with 0 to 2 yrs exp would earn somewhere between 31K and 40K. If you didn't finish school to gain credentials in that, then you would not be setting yourself apart from a lot of other people that will be looking to fill in a position. And then you put yourself somewhere between the 30K and the minimum wage.

It's reasonable to question what you are doing with your future, as a result of your actions (drinking and driving). If you have a problem with drinking alone, it's a fair statement to say that you are only adding to any problems you may have. But don't approach things like you need to retreat from your future and your goals either. Think about what means something to you, what you would be happy doing, where your working environment should be. The idea of background checks might follow you around, that is possible, but that doesn't mean ONLY negative information needs to be in your background. You can add things to your background that offset the "record." You can volunteer for an organization, to show that you have values and will give of your personal time. As a person who hired people, I looked at people's volunteer work as an asset. There are lots of things you can do to show you are a valuable contributor to work if you really take a look.

Whatever is behind the drinking though, Park, you need to address that. I don't know if you are an alcoholic, but you are right to say that addiction doesn't put up a fuss over age. Alcohol is not a toy and not medicine and not a friend. If you have a problem (3 DUIs makes it seem like it), then my advice is to face the fact you cannot control your drinking and keep alcohol out of the present. Look for things that will be helpful to you, get support from people here online and think about going to meetings. Whatever it takes to keep things constructive instead of create problems. I created a lot of misery for myself when I was older than you, through drinking. You can do differently if you want to start now.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I have a very good friend who's 17 years sober. He has no driver's license. He'll likely never have one -- the result of multiple felony convictions. He went back to school in sobriety, got a degree and holds a good job in his field. He rides the bus a lot. He's happy.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 03-01-2010, 04:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcoholism doesn't only target "workers". It also targets those that hire people. Yes there might be a company that has backround checks, and wouldn't consider you. But on the other side of the coin there might be someone that has been in the same boat, and would hire you in an instant.
DWI laws are a lot tougher now than when I used to get them. (I had 13 but was only convicted of 1). But I do know the overwhelming feeling of "how am I gonna ever dig myself out of this". It just takes time. 5 years from now you will REALLY regret throwing in the towel. I know it doesn't seem that way right now.
But as another poster said. Make darn sure that was your last one. You are young enough to turn things around. Don't throw it away.
Fred
Old 03-01-2010, 06:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Parksogt,

There is a cliche'd phrase you hear around AA, First Things First. For an alkie like me, that means that my alcoholic problem, and the solution to that problem, needed to take priority over everything else in my life if I had any hope of recovering.

What I have found for myself, and seen many times in others, is that once the spiritual malady is overcome (by taking the actions of the 12 Steps), the other areas of my life (job, relationships, future) blossom in directions I never even considered. Life unfolds in ways far different and far better than I had planned.

But I have also seen, and done myself prior to recovery, that focus on the future, on the jobs, relationships, legal matters, whatever, can easily prevent someone from dealing with the underlying problem.

3 DUIs at age 20. You may have a problem, my friend. Life can go two directions for you. Take the action necessary to recover from alcoholism and see your life be remade before your eyes. Or, try to manage your life and see this scenario repeat itself for many many years.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to our Sober Recovery community.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

If you are asking about losine your driver's license.....
I suggest you consider moving to a city with public transportation.

If you are asking about how to quit drinking....
I suggest you get committed to AA.

Both of those are what one of my Grandsons did
when he was 20....worked out to his benefit.
He's working and been sober for 12 years ...

About your chosen career? Is driving going to be
necessary? Will you be expected to drive a company truck?
Can you get to jobs without a car?
I don't know.

Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum....

Last edited by CarolD; 03-01-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Parksogt46n2 View Post
i recently got my 3rd DUI... Is there even a point to continue school. I will continue to get help with my addiction regardless of my decision, but i feel like my future is already set in stone, please help.
Dear Parks ~

It's only a matter of time that your future may be determined for you, God forbid, should someone be hurt or killed.

That said, a DUI, even 3, is not a personal death sentence job-wise.

If a background check is done, the offenses will show up - be honest about it - lying/making excuses would only make it worse - and have the goods (a sincere program of recovery) to back it up.

Sometimes it really takes something very, very drastic before we "get it." My hope is that you see the light before this happens.

Sooner than later is not soon enough to turn your life around. It's worth it, you're worth it.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I guess as many of you have said that throwing in the towel only allows myself to be beatin. I am glad i can come to place like this and get as good of advice as i have without being judged for my continued lapse in judgement. I do whole heartedly intend to quit drinking, i have started an IOP program(today is actually my first day). With my background in mind i see that my only two options are to lay down and accept what i have done to ruin my potential employment or try and offset my background with continued "rights". I think the latter of the two sounds much more appealing. I hope to continue on with posts,chat and whatever else this site has to offer. great place
Old 03-01-2010, 10:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Parks

I am self employed and in the past had much bigger operation with 30+ employees. I hired a friend one time...LOL Never hire a friend....and my buddy had 3 dwi's. I HAVE to do a background check on everyone and can not, not will not..can not hire a convicted felon. The reason is it is a violation of E&O insurance (errors and omission). The company can be dropped automatically for hiring a felon.

My buddy with the 3 dwi's was not an issue as he was not considered a felon. This was 5 years ago so the laws might have changed.

If your charges/conviction is not a felony I wouldn't worry about it from a hiring standpoint unless your driving record comes into play with a company vehicle or such. My buddy ened up getting a 4th DWI and was on house arrest, probation etc..he got his liscence back after a year..how blows me away but he did. No he has a felony and issues job wise...none of his friends feel too sympathetic on #4.

Don't be like this guy quit now while your young.

Good luck