Notices

Hello!

Old 02-26-2010, 08:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello!

Greetings everyone! I am new here, and I thought I would introduce myself.

My affair with alcohol started when I was 16 years old. I would drink on the weekends, but not during the week. After a couple years, I began drinking everyday, during the evenings -- usually about 5 or 6 drinks during the week, but more on the weekends. When I moved into my own apartment and began working full-time, my drinking really accelerated. I consumed probably around 8 to 10 beers every night. I would stay up drinking until 2:00 in the morning, go to sleep for four hours, wake up, and go to work. At one point, a friend noticed that he could still smell beer on my breath while driving to work in the morning.

This routine continued for a few more years, and then I had the most horrible hangover of my life. I think I drank around 13 beers the night before, and I thought I was going to die. The hangover seemed to last forever. At that point, I said to myself that this cannot continue. I had to stop drinking. So I went about 3 weeks without drinking, but then I talked myself into moderating. I told myself I would limit my drinking to 2 drinks a day, everyday. After a while, those 2 drinks turned into 3. Sometimes I would have 4 drinks, but not all the time. But here is the thing: every time after that 3rd or 4th drink, I really want another one. There is a craving that does not go away. I have to self-consciously tell myself "time to stop, no more beer". I don't think casual drinkers have these constant cravings. It is for this reason that I suspect that I am an alcoholic. This is not normal behavior.

My first day of sobriety was February 14, 2010. I have finally decided that it is in my best interest to forego all alcohol use. Moderating is just too stressful for me. It's time for a change.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Agent006!

SR is a great place for support and information. Great people too!

Love,

Lenina
Old 02-26-2010, 10:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Steve
Old 02-27-2010, 12:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi!

Moderating my alcohol intake was excruciating for me too - I laid down a huge weight when I decided to be abstinent

Welcome to SR Agent 006!
D
Old 02-27-2010, 03:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery site and to our Alcoholism Forum

Congratulations on your early sobreity ...

Last edited by CarolD; 02-27-2010 at 04:01 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome to SR Agent006.

It is the same for me. After 3 it was all over for me. It seems there is a turning point when it was near impossible to stop.
You are making the right decision. Trying to moderate is no fun.
Good luck.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! And congrats on your sober days! That's a great beginning to a better life
Old 02-27-2010, 08:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your support! I have been reading the forum for a couple weeks, and it has already helped me to stay on a sober path...