Notices

Help In SC

Old 02-26-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help In SC

I have a very good friend of mines sister who is a late stage alcoholic who is in the hospital in South Carolina. She is bad off - weight down to 80lbs, in ICU, kiddney and liver issues, wet brain...just a mess. the doctors have said if she drinks again she will die plain and simple. She has no insurance. The family is down there now visiting her and trying to make araingements for a rehab however the only one close is saying they have a 2 week wait.

My friends father is possibly looking at paying cash out of pocket but the HUGE fear for the family she will just sign herself out. I am very aware of the deal the alcoholic has to "want" help however in a situation of late stage alcoholism I am wondering if there is a way to "force" rehab by mental incompetence or by sucidal behaviour or drinking oneself to death? Also if anyone know of a rehab around beaufort SC (sorry for the spelling) that accepts patients with no insurance and no waiting list...tall order I know but figure why not throw it out there.

Any ideas are greatly apprciated.

Thanks in advance

Edit - just heard there was a 4 month rehab but she was denied because she has medical issues and they won't accept patients with medical condition..man this is heart wrenching for the family.

I know it's a long shot but ANY ideas are welcome and apprciated.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No ideas at all. In Florida I understand they have a pretty streamlined procedure for involuntary commitment of someone in circumstances like that, but I have no idea in SC. Certainly hoping for the best for them.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Actually, South Carolina seems to have a fairly user-friendly (for lack of a better word) approach as well: See section 44-52-50 of the South Carolina Code of Laws... I don't know how much help this approach would be if the problem is finding a place that can take her, but there at least seems to be a statutory option for trying to get her there on an emergency basis.

EDIT - Sounds like I am probably commenting on the wrong problem - it sounds like the real issue is finding a place that can take her and the family can afford, and not that she is just unwilling to go or accept some form of treatment.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Here's a link to the SC AA intergroup listings:

South Carolina AA Intergroup Contact Information ~ Alcoholics Anonymous: South Carolina

The Bluffton or Ridgeland offices might be your best bet (they are closest to Beaufort). They may have some local ideas for you.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys passing the info on
Old 02-26-2010, 03:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I have no experience dealing with anyone
having these multi tragic medical issues.

If there are rehabs that take someone so very ill
I'm not aware of them....sorry.

Sending prayers for this woman
and for those who care for her.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks carol...yep thats a problem too rehab and the medical issues.