Notices

Having Fun

Old 02-28-2010, 05:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hobbies,
its been a long long time since ive put any great enthusiasm, or indeed had the enthusiasm..with being caught up and imprisoned by my Alcohol Addiction, in very early days of sobriety.. Ive been enjoying beachcomin a healthy beach walk and with the big springtides..picking up live shellfish on very low water..Make good eating..It dont get no fresher.. Bon Appetite..
Old 02-28-2010, 03:40 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm looking forward to doing all of the daytime things I always said I was going to do but rarely did because I was usually too hungover. Museums, hiking, exploring D.C., bike riding, spending more QT with my boyfriend, and maybe even yoga! How to occupy myself in the evenings with fun stuff is still beyond me, but I'm new to this. So far I've been spending a lot of time reading about recovery, which has been great, but I wouldn't exactly classify it as "fun" lol.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:15 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Old 03-10-2010, 09:04 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Nothing can relax me better than just reading a good book while listening to some jazz music. Especially after a good run in the park.

I also like to read financial news and invest the money I now have that I used to waste on alcohol.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:31 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Nonexistent Willpower

Tiddlywinks!!

Wow that's one seriously nice model car Spawn. You are a very talented builder. Thanks for posting that!
Old 03-11-2010, 04:31 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

nice model....is that made from scratch or kit??.....real nice.
fishing and gardening is my main "things"..

something real nice about producing my own vegatables...

love photography......

sitting in the truck for long hours i counter that with lots of walking/hiking.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:22 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trucker View Post
nice model....is that made from scratch or kit??.....real nice.
fishing and gardening is my main "things"..

something real nice about producing my own vegatables...

love photography......

sitting in the truck for long hours i counter that with lots of walking/hiking.
It's a kit,....but some parts I remade because I wasn't happy with the shape of the ones it came with.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:23 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
B27

Now that I have enough time sober for my brain chemistry to start getting right again (along with the help of a mild antidepressant) I am once again enjoying all the things I have always loved doing.

In no particular order-

Target shooting at my gun club and air guns in my garage.
Working on my truck.
Books and movies.
Enjoying my cats and turtles.
Political discussion forums.
Maintenance and repair on my 36 year old condo.
Swapping lies and war stories with friends via email.
Exercising......and a bunch of other junk.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:45 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Seeing as how I live in a country where I have a basic understanding of the language and no one really speaks mine, I have to pretty much do everything solo. Well, there are other foreigners here, but they're young-ish and their extracurricular activities involve anything centered around alcohol. It's not really their fault, we're all in a country where getting ********* nightly is a culturally accepted way of life and it's incredibly easy to get caught up in it.
For me, I have enrolled in language courses, joined a gym (not so much fun during the exercise, but rather, afterward), and bought a BMX bike to ride around. I haven't ridden one since I was a teenager...decades ago.

If anyone has any other suggestions on things they like to do solo, it would be greatly appreciated as there aren't a large amount of English based things to do here.

Peace
DR
Old 03-12-2010, 01:48 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

DR, you come from a great music town! Or maybe you just recognzie that about Detroit through the choice of name.

Have you had a rough time with finding people in your own age group that speak Eng to avoid all the alcohol crap?
Old 03-13-2010, 01:38 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Toronto68 View Post
DR, you come from a great music town! Or maybe you just recognize that about Detroit through the choice of name.

Have you had a rough time with finding people in your own age group that speak Eng to avoid all the alcohol crap?
No, my user name is from a KISS song. I'm actually in an Asian country.

And yes, I have had a rough time with that. I've tried a few AA meetings, but because of the small expat population, there's an even smaller population of those who are recovering.

Actually, I just got a BMX bike last week and took it out for a spin. I haven't ridden one in over 20 years so it was completely new to me. I have the upcoming long summer evenings to look forward to for improving my skills. Plus, I don't need other people to enjoy it. Don't really need money either unless I break something.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:07 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I like going to the gym etc i am in UAE, unlike where you are there are plenty of expats over here and all of them speak english and drink lol There are, i would guesstimate, about 20-25 people that go to AA in my city of 1.75 million population...so what? There are still 5 meetings a week if i wanted to go and a handful of people in AA that have good solid sobriety to help someone walking new through the door...always someone to have a coffee with if you get lonely at the very least...
Old 03-13-2010, 03:19 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
I like going to the gym etc i am in UAE, unlike where you are there are plenty of expats over here and all of them speak english and drink lol There are, i would guesstimate, about 20-25 people that go to AA in my city of 1.75 million population...so what? There are still 5 meetings a week if i wanted to go and a handful of people in AA that have good solid sobriety to help someone walking new through the door...always someone to have a coffee with if you get lonely at the very least...
Not sure where you're going with the "so what?" remark...
I was just making an observation about my situation.
Not complaining, not bragging, just commenting.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:53 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Just making a point that there is always a positive and that is that there are 20 out of 1.75 million and there are always sober people in AA to sit and have a coffee with...point is you can find some friends, you aren't alone:-)
Old 03-13-2010, 05:11 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
Just making a point that there is always a positive and that is that there are 20 out of 1.75 million and there are always sober people in AA to sit and have a coffee with...point is you can find some friends, you aren't alone:-)
Gotcha.
That was actually the point I was trying to make. Even though frequent inebriation is an integral part of the culture here, there are still sober people to hang out with.

Seriously though, this place sells alcohol 24 hours a day every day, has no laws against drinking in public/public intoxication, and sells an alcoholic beverage of 40 proof for less than a dollar that is actually quite palatable.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:50 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
*Hooligan*

suprised nobody mentioned this - bowling. Bowling is always fun and many laughs are to be had. Pretty much anything that involves a group of sober drunks is fun though.

We call it the meeting after the meeting, and there are always many laughs to be had. Like last night - actually we had a meeting before the meeting and a meeting after the meeting. About 10 of us met up for dinner before the meeting, we laughed and joked and ate some seriously bad thai food. Then we all went to the speaker meeting and everyone had to listen to me tell my story for an hour...lol...after that a group of about 10 of us went out for coffee. Again laughter ensued, along with sharing and getting to know others on a more personal level.

We also have alot of sober events such as dances, bbq's and campouts.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:57 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Great topic. I have enjoyed reading the responses.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:31 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DetroitRock View Post
No, my user name is from a KISS song. I'm actually in an Asian country.

And yes, I have had a rough time with that. I've tried a few AA meetings, but because of the small expat population, there's an even smaller population of those who are recovering.

Actually, I just got a BMX bike last week and took it out for a spin. I haven't ridden one in over 20 years so it was completely new to me. I have the upcoming long summer evenings to look forward to for improving my skills. Plus, I don't need other people to enjoy it. Don't really need money either unless I break something.
"Big fan"
Old 03-13-2010, 09:32 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
LBW

Training for a marathon with a running group, running 5k's and 10k's trying to beat my previous times, eating healthy low-fat mostly vegetarian diet, taking vitamins, getting good quality sleep, generally taking extra good care of my health and appearance... getting into the best shape since my high school days and looking as good as I did back then too. It feels so good to be healthy and to achieve my fitness goals.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:55 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
20/12/09

I have offered to help some friends out with babysitting...on a Sunday..which was NEVER heard of.

The 5 month old, spewed (apparently never spews), and pee'd on me twice.

This actually made me laugh - 6 months ago or even 3 months ago I would have been quite shytey about it all.

I am still new (85 days) but slowly starting to see that I can start doing different things and make changes that will actually happen. I was always a talker..."lets go here" and not go.."lets do this" and never do it...now I want to make those things happen and feel confident they will instead of the "dont bother" attitude because I would be too hung over to do it.

Binge drinking will do that to you...my sponsor suggested writing down the things I try that I like because I question who I was, did I really like something so that is going to start now!

Sobriety will and has opened up doors I had no idea were there.