Notices

Crazy thoughts after meetings?

Old 02-23-2010, 06:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Crazy thoughts after meetings?

Hey guys, I'm about 20 days sober right now. First 2 weeks I did it all on my own with just SR, but I know I can't "stay" sober on my own (proven many times!) so I went to a Celebrate Recovery meetings with my friend thats been sober around 21 yrs tonight.

Meeting was great, I liked it, good people good talks good info. Really weird thing though...I got home about 2 hrs ago, and every since I got back from the meeting all I can think about is drinking

Before the meeting I was good, during the meeting I was great, had a good feeling. Not even 10 mins after coming home though I'm thinking about drinking. I know that sounds absolutly crazy...but has anyone else ever felt that after a meeting? is it just because all the thoughts of drinking came out at a meeting that now they wont go away or?? maybe I'm just nuts?? lol

Thanks, just need to figure out why my mind is thinking this way right now is all.

Steve
Old 02-23-2010, 06:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

DayWalker,

It's the addictive voice of the disease that's throwing a tantrum. It knows its days are numbered. Don't listen to it, tell it to shut up.

Once I was able to identify the addictive voice and call it out, sobriety got a lot easier for me. Keep going to the meetings. You'll learn a lot.

Hang in there!

Love,

Lenina
Old 02-23-2010, 06:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Steve.....
That's when you phone another alcoholic in recovery.
Glad you went to CR hope they have a lot of meetings...
Old 02-23-2010, 07:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks both of you.

Carol I actually did call my buddy (the one that took me to the meeting) and we had a good talk. He had some good things to say but still, those thoughts just really messed with me. I think I'm okay now (better thoughts) but wow...I really wasnt expecting to feel like that after a meeting. I kind'a expeted to feel stronger rather than weaker ya know. Just the weird thoughts of a new recovering mind I guess...or at least I hope lol.

Was a good meeting though and I'm glad I went. Going to another one on Thursday with him.

Steve
Old 02-23-2010, 07:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

lol

Ever hit your finger with a hammer?
Old 02-23-2010, 10:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yep, and yet I'm still smacking my finger with that hammer aren't I?

After I got home and talked to my buddy one thing he asked me was "what are your triggers"..and I really had no answer to that. He told me to think about it and he would call me tomorrow and he wanted me to have an answer for him about what my triggers were. I've been thinking about it for the past couple hours and I think I see something that's a "routine"...don;t know if I would call it a trigger, but it is close I guess.

When I would drink alone at home the past few months what I would do is come into the back room where my computer is, turn off the lights, flip on the LED lights I have on my computer ( I got them a fancy computer that lights up the room) then flip on certain music (like the Doors, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, etc) and that was my routine for when I drank.

Well tonight after I got home that's exactly what I did. Jumped on the puter, flipped off the lights, flipped on the music...and then started having those thoughts

I ended up turning the lights back on, turning the music off and flipped on the olympics on the TV and those thoughts were not as bad as they were when I first got home. I know it's not as easy as "there's your problem"...but I think I have at least figured out what I guess may be considered a trigger for me?

Steve
Old 02-24-2010, 12:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I sure would call that a trigger Steve....

Because I did a lot of drinking in Jazz Clubs
I found it darn uncomfortable to listen to
that type of music in early sobriety.

Too many memories of certain people places and scotch!
It was too easy to forget the disasters and recall the high.

Changeing habits was vital to protect my fragile new sobriety.
Jazz was out....Classical was in ...
Old 02-24-2010, 12:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I didn't watch certain films and deleted most of the music from my ipod...ok 3 months later i was downloading it all again and listen to it all now but i had worked the steps by then...
Old 02-24-2010, 07:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayWalker View Post
...but has anyone else ever felt that [like drinking]
I felt that way until that obsession was removed as the result of the Steps.

When that occurred, I found that concepts like 'triggers' were no longer relevant to my life.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awakening...

I used to have trouble with Friday evenings, that's when the real drinking would commence. Over time it disappeared though. Friday is now Perrier night.