Notices

Miracle

Old 02-19-2010, 09:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Miracle

I really don't remember when I stopped noticeing
people who drank in restaurants or on TV.

When did I become a non drinker who quit with the
"Wish I could" or :"Drinking is fun" or sheer envy?

Maybe it was when the first few of my 28
former drinking companions died because of alcohol.

Perhaps it happned naturally as I became more spiritual.

I can take no credit for this occurance.
God and AA have shifted my persepctions
I have recovered from alcoholic instanity.
I walk in the sunlight of the spirit.
My new life has purpose and joy.....

I see a miracle in my mirror
My name is Carol ...a grateful AA recovered alcoholic
Old 02-19-2010, 09:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

yes you are

((hugs))
Old 02-19-2010, 09:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Carol this post and "gravity"s post he just posted are two of the best positive posts I have seen tonight, or in awhile for that matter. I'm actually one of those "Wish I could" people you mentioned at the moment since I'm back to square 1.5(2 weeks sober that's why it's 1.5 and not square 1 lol).

Since I'm back to being a sobriety "newbie" and it's a friday night where all my friends I called tonight I could tell were drunk when I talked to them and such, reading some good thoughts like yours are very helpful to me. Thanks!

Steve
Old 02-19-2010, 09:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
stopped noticeing
people who drank in restaurants or on TV.

the "Wish I could" or :"Drinking is fun" or sheer envy?
I can totally relate to that post Carol, it has only been 7 months for me but i can promise, hand on heart, that at no point do i have these thoughts not for a split second. I have gone to AA, got a sponsor, worked the steps, had a spriritual awakening and, as a result, have a close conscious contact with my HP who i choose to call God.

Pratical side of it - i have been staying in a hotel with a fully stocked mini bar in my room for 6 weeks, i have had complimentary glasses of wine bought to my table in retaurants more than several times, our meeting place after meetings in Gib was a bar called the Gib arms where we would sit surrounded by people guzzling pints. I mean jeez, even at xmas i was sitting listening to people saying oh i have to avoid this or avoid that and im thinking wtf are you talking about, still a slave to alcohol just not drinking the stuff!!!

If you want the freedom and miracle then i cannot see how the path could be made any more clear? Everytime you think oh wow wouldn't it be great to sit next to someone drinking and not feel uncomfortable, wouldn't it be great to not have a problem around people drinking...well just do the above, i am not special and i have lots of friends in AA who live free, happy and joyous lives...

Oh and my history is daily drinker of 20 years that could not stop for 24 hours when i walked into the rooms 7 odd months ago...
Old 02-20-2010, 05:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Before I was a recovering alcoholic, I used to have times where I was sober but even thought I was not thinking about drinking, I was thinking about not drinking. It was constant and insane and thinking about not drinking is just as bad as thinking about drinking for this alcoholic.

Thankfully the obsession has been removed through the 12 steps. I no longer think of drinking or not drinking. It's liberating and now I find that I have much more important stuff to think about.

Great post Carol, thanks.

Sorry to hear you lost so many friends along the way to this disease. Spare a thought for the alcoholics who still suffer.......
Old 02-20-2010, 07:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nice Carol.by the way,i am love love loving your new avitar!