Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

AA or Rehab or how should I take the first step....

Notices

Old 02-17-2010, 07:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I know that I need help. Ive never been to an aa meeting and im terrified of going ... but perhaps I could go and start healing .. but im a bit confused cos i dont know if i should find a treatment centre where i can detox and start jumping on my problem...

or go to a meeting and surrender

its hard to reveal my problem and to find someone that can help i dont know how to take the first step .
Old 02-17-2010, 07:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
sev
Friend of Bill W.

Hello Bi. Welcome! The choice is surely yours, and congratulations for taking a step towards life! You are welcome to go to meetings and just sit and listen. If called upon, you can always just say "pass" and you're not judged by that. Give it a shot. What do you have to lose, right? Hang in there. Read what people here have to say. Try to pick out similarities to your personal story. Just keep coming back!
Old 02-17-2010, 07:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I went to a 12 step rehab, was there for 3 works...they worked of recovery dynamics which explained all the steps and what AA was about...went back out after, even the knowledge that there was a practical solution ruined my drinking...i remember standing at a gambling machine drinking, thinking poor me i'm screwed and then a thought come into my head about AA as a solution and having to try and push it out lol

4 weeks later is went to my first real AA meeting (i mean willing to do anything) and have been sober ever since...

So it's up to you, i was scared witless of meetings too but i promise that is totally an irrational fear, you could get to a meeting in the meantime whilst you decide...then make a decision from there?
Old 02-17-2010, 07:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

AA is a good place to start. I've seen it happen time and time again - Someone new will come in and if they are really physically sick and in need of rehab, we tell 'em.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I went to meetings . I listened to people talk about a revolving door of rehabs. I listened to old timers at meetings mentioning meeting makers make it. I elected to go to as many meetings as I could make a week and get a sponsor.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

either choice is a good one.

I've stopped drinking by just going to AA to start the journey and also by going to rehab to start the journey....

Even when rehab "didn't work" it got me to a place farther in the direction of recovery....helped me to eventually get back to AA.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR and to our Alcoholism Forum.....

You might want to have an honest talk with your doctor
about how best to de tox from alcohol.
That's always a wise move ...be both safe and sober...

I think everyone is nervous about going to AA.
I attended my first meeting with a friend.

Please read this link if you are curious about meetings

Your First AA Meeting<

then do go find out what we do...
Old 02-17-2010, 09:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

Carol, that was my thought too... a doctor may be able to determine whether an assisted detox would be the way to go... as far as meetings, I too was terrified, but I've never been to a meeting where there weren't smiling faces greeting me. After all, everyone's been where you are at least once... they DO understand.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bimixer View Post
Ive never been to an aa meeting and im terrified of going ...
More terrified than continuing to drink? It's really not an 'either, or' situation. Do both.

I went through a couple years of seeing doctors, counselors, outpatient treatment, inpatient rehab, before I found a solution in AA.

These days, I seem to have a knack for finding 'wet' drunks to work with. Guys that are still drinking but desperately want to stop. Many of them require some medically supervised detox before they can start to recover. What I see over and over again, is that those who fully abandon themselves to the simple program of AA, recover, whether or not they required some medical detox or went to rehab.

One guy I was trying to work with recently was not willing to take any action (or follow suggestions) in AA. After a number of emergency room visits, he went off to rehab. He was drunk in the airport on the way home from that. Still not willing to take any action.

AA can not provide the motivation, nor has much interest in sobering up anyone who is not serious about staying sober. But if you are serious, and are willing to do what is suggested, I promise that you can recover for good and all.