Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Plodding through week 2. Just ate a whole bag of jelly beans, lol.

Notices

Old 02-15-2010, 08:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

As mentioned in another thread, this wasn't my first detox. However, it was the easiest to date. Whether that's just the intestinal and mental fortitude of having experience or if it just wasn't physically as bad this time is anyone's guess.

But damn those carb cravings (jelly beans)! If I make it out of this still as a size 34" it'll be a miracle...

Anyway, what has always tripped me backward into boozing again isn't the physical draw of the alcohol itself, but her remarkable effectiveness as a form of medication. And by "medication" I really mean "obliteration of bad thoughts and debilitating depression." So I went back to the doctor and was prescribed the apparently common combo of Wellbutrin (bupropion) and Ativan (lorazepam). I figure that the drugs are worth trying as they purport to treat the very anxiety and depression which is the number one reason I booze so hard in the first place. If they don't work, oh well.

At least with the Ativan I'll get some honest sleep! I am concerned that it's such a powerful drug, and may ask for something a little less likely to simply take alcohol's place as a crutch. To be perfectly honest, though, I'd rather be hooked on anti-anxiety meds than scotch.

Anyway, my point wasn't to start a drug-specific thread, but to tell you folks that I'm still grinding it out. Still fighting the good fight! I have attended some AA meetings, but not as a full-on contributor to the group. I'm there merely to listen and to feel a unity with other alcoholics. However, AA alone and in entirety is simply not the solution for me. I am certainly not insulting it; merely pointing out that it's not my scene!

My thoughts and love go out to all who are taming the same beast.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for checking back with your good news

Our drinking history is totally different.....I became depressed
by drinking.....not the other way around. I also used no
med's to ease early recovery.
Not to say you should not....but there are many who do
become addicted Please be careful...good to know
your doctor is involved.....

Have you asked your doctor about hypoglycemia?
I followed an eating plan early on for it and had really
good results. Google for hypoglycemia + diet if
you are interested.

Best to you as you continue to move forward
Old 02-16-2010, 04:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident

Congrats on 2 weeks Triumph.
As you probably know the first few weeks are the hardest.
When I first quit I hit the candy hard too and then I had to deal with quitting that. I joined a thread here called 100 days OS challenge (obvious sweets) and started a couple of fitness challenges. Working out and the gym have become the cornerstones to my program now. Replacing bad habits (drinking and sugar binging) with good habits (exercise and fitness). It has been working well for me.
I have picked up another bad habit of too much coffee and have just started working on that. It is strange that the cravings for both alcohol and sweets have gone but now I get cravings for coffee.
If it's not one thing it is another.
Good luck on your continued success.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm glad that you are hanging in there!! But be careful of the Ativan -- those benzo's are very addictive and believe me, you would rather not be addicted to those. I was taking only .50 - 1.0 for about 3 months and it took me 6 long months to slowly taper off. The anxiety and panic attackes where debilitating. Take only when needed. You might want to google some benzo recovery sites to see the aftermath of those drugs.