Notices

Liver - Recovery?

Old 02-14-2010, 02:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Liver - Recovery?

Hi all, great site, great forum. I don't post here too much but I read pretty much daily.

I just thought I'd put this question out there. As we may all know, the liver is the only organ that can regenerate given it is looked after, but what is the actual process, time process and ways to help the liver to restore itself?

I know that many people here are in search of help, and many have already turned their life around from alcoholism so I would like to know your experiences. I know that "fatty liver" is a condition of over drinking, for example, how long does it take for the liver to reduce in size, how long does it take for the liver to recover? etc, etc.

I realise that alcohol has a bad effect on the bloodstream and on your heart as well, does anybody know anything about this that they can share with myself and others on this forum.

The only thing that gets me through sobriety is hope. Hope that things canbe turned around, hope that health can be with us all. If I didn't have this hope I'd likely still be drinking myself to death thinking "what's the point"?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice people can give to me, and of course anybody else who's interested.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What did your doctor say?
Old 02-14-2010, 02:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What I can share with you is something I cannot explain that practicially defies science as I understand it. I can only attribute it to the fact that I have not drank nor drugged for 22 years now and that I believe in the disease being three fold.

I was diagnosed with Hepatitis C in 1997 when I was ten years sober. I was actually glad I wasn't glad I wasn't just ten days sober, cause I would have probably been whining like a little child about it, 'poor me'. But my first thought was, "OMG, I STILL have to take responsibility for my actions!" I had thought at that point in my recovery that you only did that in your first few years sober.

Initially my liver was in Stage 1 Fibrosis. Since then, I have been through two failed grueling Interferon treatments. My initial viral load was 329,000. It is now near 7 million. However, my recent bloodwork and MRI show my liver is somehow 'clear' and liver levels are normal. Sure not going to argue with anyone about it.
I've probably had HEP C now for about 30 years and anyone who knows about it, knows it often results in its worst in that third decade.

I only know if I had still been drinking I would be where one of my best friends is today. Six feet under. He couldn't stop drinking, and he eventually succumbed to liver cancer as a result of his Hepatitis C. He was only 55.

One day, it may or may not get me, too, or something else may before it...who knows.....but I was not promised tomorrow....and the past 22 years have been but a reprieve for me so I really can't complain. And I refuse to let the HEP C control my life, so I just do each day what I usually do. Live one day at a time and try to be as reasonably happy, joyous and free as possible and only wish the same for another seeking a better way of life.

Yes...I do believe in miracles. I've seen enough of them in the rooms of AA to know they are true.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Silence208 View Post
ways to help the liver to restore itself?
Just get out of it's way and stop drinking, really, it's that simple.

I guess if you are overweight or eat a high fat diet, changing your lifestyle in these regards will help also.

But, overall, it's gonna take care of itself and it will take as long as it needs to, it's different in everybody's individual case.... how active and advanced was the liver disease... for example. But as long as you feel ok and you are not drinking... and you see your physician to be sure no other treatment is necessary... Just worry about getting recovered from alcoholism... that's the important part.

Mark
Old 02-14-2010, 03:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Only your doctor can answer your concerns
too many variable for a clear answer from us.

And as you might have noticed.....we are not allowed
to give medical advice on SR.

My heart and liver were fine. .... it was my brain that alcohol effected.
By the end of 2 months of AA recovery
I was back in balance mentally....

Please do contact your doctor....that's the only way
to be both safe and sober....
Old 02-14-2010, 10:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just a cup a day helps prevent cirrhosis of the liver, researchers say

Drinking coffee cuts alcohol's bad effects - More health news- msnbc.com
Old 02-14-2010, 10:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL I kinda think all the alcohol we alcoholics commonly consume would pretty much negate any good from that cup of coffee pboy

D
Old 02-14-2010, 10:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
LOL I kinda think all the alcohol we alcoholics commonly consume would pretty much negate any good from that cup of coffee pboy

D
It's not what the studies suggest, additionally there seems to be a relationship between coffee and liver cancer. What do have to lose if you think you've done some damage?

Coffee and Liver Cirrhosis - Prevention.com

Higher Coffee Consumption Associated With Lower Liver Cancer Risk
Old 02-15-2010, 11:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is not medical advice...merely a few facts...most(all?) of which you've already read and/or researched and/or...etc...

1)It could take years for you to develop alcoholic hepatitis. Or it could take months. Depends on the person...genetics, gender,etc.

2)It could take weeks or years to develop fatty liver...aagin depends on several variables...

3)Cirrhosis is usually a result of years of damage...preceded by alcoholic hepatitis and/or fatty liver...

4) YOu can have alcoholic hepatitis and/or fatty liver and not know it...

5) Your liver can recover from fatty liver and/or alcoholic hepatitis to a normal/healthy state...but only if you abstain from alcohol...

6) *Recovery of your liver depends on the person* In general, it takes weeks to a few months before you will see (on biopsy, lab-work, etc.) definite signs of liver recovery. Enzymes start to drop, healthy liver tissue replaces damaged liver tissue, etc. It may take several months *or longer* before the healthy liver is restored...

7) *if* your liver is damaged to the point that it is cirrhotic, the tissue can not be restored...BUT health can be improved by avoiding alcohol. Continuing to drink will only hasten death by liver failure.

-------------------

8) Drinking alcohol is notorious for causing high blood pressure. Years of high blood pressure can cause a myriad of health problems (heart attack, stroke, kidney disease, etc.). Alcohol induced high blood pressure normally resolves within several weeks after quitting alcohol...In some cases the person will remain hypertensive but his numbers still improve (usually because he's simply hypertensive underneath his alcoholic hypertension)

9)alcohol abuse can lead to 'alcoholic cardiomyopathy' which is a weak heart (heart failure)...this usually takes many years to develop and is irreversible.

10) Stomach Ulcers, Gastritis, esophagus problems, GI-bleeding...if induced by alcohol... will improve when you quit.

11) Alcohol can induce anxiety states/disorders. Just read all the posts about it. If the person has an underlying anxiety disorder, alcohol will make it worse. This usually resloves or improves within weeks to months after quitting...

12) Alcoholic induced brain atrophy and/or dementia... In short, your brain 'shrinks' after years of alcohol abuse. In the healthcare profession we sometimes call it 'pickled-brain syndrome'. Cat-scans show brain atrophy far out of proportion to the persons age. There is evidence that people can reverse this brain atrophy after *years* of sobriety.

13) and all the other ways you can make yourself sick and die from alcoholism....that i'm neglecting to mention....