Notices

Why is alcohol so powerful?

Old 02-11-2010, 01:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Why is alcohol so powerful?

Can anyone shed any light on that? What is it in alcohol that is so powerful that you need to keep going back and get caught in a vicious cycle?
Old 02-11-2010, 02:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It just is. At least for us allergic types it is. The why doesn't matter all that much. The important question is what can I do about this powerful thing that kicked my butt every time I danced with it.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have many friends and family members who drink - responsibly and not to excess or risk. The problem with alcohol isn't with the alcohol, it's with ME. I ca'nt tolerate it as others do. I became addicted very quickly. Maybe my body chemistry is wacky, I don't know and don't care. I only know for sure that I cannot drink. I have a physical and mental allergy to it.

It can be useful to understand why some become addicted and others don't. But in the end, it doesn't matter if I UNDERSTAND or not. It is more important that I ACCEPT that I cannot drink. It's not the alcohol itself, but what happens TO ME when I drink.

Prohibition demonstrated that removing alcohol doesn't solve the problems of alcohol. It's not the substance, it's ME. I am the problem, but I can also be the solution.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sev
Friend of Bill W.

Bravo, Least! I agree with you. It doesn't matter why or why not to this alcoholic. What does matter is that I accept that I cannot partake. Period.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcohol itself is just a liquid in a bottle. There is no "power" in that. (Is milk powerful, or Pepsi? naaa ...)

My alcoholic brain gives alcohol power. It's my problem, and I have to get help for it.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I have many friends and family members who drink - responsibly and not to excess or risk. The problem with alcohol isn't with the alcohol, it's with ME.

Totally agree with that statement, very well put. I'm the same way, the problem is with me not really with Alcohol itself. I just have a very addictive personality and alcohol is just my drug of choice. If I would have ever got into other drugs (pot, speed, meth whatever) then They would probably be what I was addicted to instead of alcohol. That's the way my personality and mind are. Even with hobbies or sports I always throw myself 110% into whatever I do, so when I started drinking then with my personality I guess I threw myself 110% into alcohol as well.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Simply put.....alcohol changes your brain chemistry/functions.
True for everyone...not just alcoholics.

Please read this link

How We Get Addicted - TIME

I broke the cycle....and so can you!
Old 02-11-2010, 11:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It has power because it makes you feel like how you would like to feel without alcohol.
Self assured and free of fear.
Who doesn't want to feel that good all the time ?
But there is a large price to pay..
Be good !
Old 02-12-2010, 12:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Leprechaun

Alcohol only gets its power through you're weakness, the power it has is what you give it, the only way to render it powerless is to not drink and the only way not to drink is to remove the desire through the healing of ones own mind,body and soul, find you're self worth and alcohol will never have power over you.

Peace,
Lep