Notices

Point Of No Return??

Old 02-09-2010, 09:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Point Of No Return??

Well, im 21, & ive had a good life, but i was raised in a family where alcoholism is the norm, & im falling into that pattern, im living with my parents & drinking all the time, at first it was weekends, but ever since i got back working now its almost every night, i wanna slow down but than theres this part of me that when my shift ends, its like get another 6, i fear im headed down a bad road, the real problem i guess, is that i suffer from insomnia & when i dont drink i will go days without sleep, so i guess i fear that to a point, but to me, being hungover at this point is better than being a zombie...
Old 02-09-2010, 09:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! Glad you are here. Seems like it is much easier to treat insomnia than it is to try to overcome alcoholism--especially once that "invisible line" is crossed. And since you mentioned alcoholism runs in your family, yes please get help while you can. I was able to stop in the beginning. Later on, I started drinking again--socially at first--then became addicted>I crossed that line. Now drinking isn't an option. All the bad stuff happened...and got worse each time. The disease is progressive. Keep reading/posting. This is a great place for support.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Point Of No Return??

anyone here, i could use some advice....
Old 02-09-2010, 09:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ride

Welcome...

I agree with Angelina - as someone who's suffered both, insomnia's a lot better to deal with than alcoholism.

I used to drink to 'help' me sleep too...ended up a 20 year drunk.

If common sense things like no eating before bed, no coffee in the evening, no cigarettes in the evening, regular bedtimes or getting exercise don't work, it's best to see a doctor.

If you're in a toxic alcoholic environment, can you consider moving?

D
Old 02-09-2010, 09:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Ride

Welcome...

I agree with Angelina - as someone who's suffered both, insomnia's a lot better to deal with than alcoholism.

I used to drink to 'help' me sleep too...ended up a 20 year drunk.

If common sense things like no eating before bed, no coffee in the evening, no cigarettes in the evening, regular bedtimes or getting exercise don't work, it's best to see a doctor.

If you're in a toxic alcoholic environment, can you consider moving?

D
thanks for the replies guys, & yea ive considered movin, but on my payscale, not a possibility, ive tried sleeping & anxiety pills & whatnot, but i dont take well to them so i havent stayed with it, some nights my mind is just racing & i need to slow it down....
Old 02-09-2010, 10:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

alright, i appreciate the posts, but im gonna finish this 12, i might be back tomorrow, peeeaaccee
Old 02-09-2010, 10:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

I to thought I suffered from insomnia but while in rehab learned something new about it. They would not let us have any caffeine or sugar and at first I thought they were just being mean. But after about 5 days I found that I could sleep anytime of the day or night.

It all makes sense now because for over two decades I used to jumpstart my day with 4-8 cups of coffee and then knock myself out at night with 5-10 drinks. I never recognized it before because I seldom went for more than a day or two without the liquid solutions.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ride,

I also have insomnia and have had it for years. I used alcohol to help me sleep. It's not a very good sleep aid, I'm afraid. I'm an alcoholic in recovery now.

It would be a good idea to see your doctor. Insomnia can be a symptom of other problems. See if you can go 30 days without alcohol and how you feel during that time. Try to stay on as regular a sleep schedule as possible.

Let us know how you're doing!

Love,

Lenina
Old 02-09-2010, 10:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Originally Posted by Ride View Post
being hungover at this point is better than being a zombie...
That will actually work for a while. I did that for I don't know how many years. Eventually though it will flip on you and alcohol will make it worse. It actually will cause insomnia.

Using alcohol to help you sleep is a very bad idea. If that is your reason for drinking then please look for other options, the alcohol fix is temporary.

Don't expect one problem to solve another problem.

I wish you the best with both.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dean62 View Post
That will actually work for a while. I did that for I don't know how many years. Eventually though it will flip on you and alcohol will make it worse. It actually will cause insomnia.

Using alcohol to help you sleep is a very bad idea. If that is your reason for drinking then please look for other options, the alcohol fix is temporary.

Don't expect one problem to solve another problem.

I wish you the best with both.
i know it sucks, but it seems like the only way out right now, im able to hold my job, & i can get a few hours rest, it sucks, but where does it end? ive had sleeping issues since high school & ive tried all pills & also most drugs, nothing has helped....
Old 02-09-2010, 10:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like others have said ride, alcohol's not very good long term....it will turn on ya eventually and keep you awake, make you need more...

pretty soon you'll have a whole new set of problems.

D
Old 02-09-2010, 10:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ride,

Have you tried meditation tapes/CD's? I use CD's called "Deep Sleep with Medical Hypnosis" that you can get at many bookstores. I use them at bedtime to help slow my mind down. You might be able to get a download online too.

Sleep hygiene is very important. You might want to do a search here on sleeplessness and insomnia. Seems I recall some very good advice here.

Dean is right, alcohol actually messes up your sleep. It has something to do with all the sugar, I think.

Love,

Lenina
Old 02-10-2010, 01:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I also used to drink to help me sleep... trouble was, I wasn't getting good sleep, it wasn't 'real' sleep, it was just passing out. It takes a while to get into normal sleeping habits after stopping drinking, but the sleep is a healthy sleep. Here's an article you might like to read, about the effects of alcohol on sleep.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...heres-why.html
Old 02-10-2010, 06:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome Ride....
Thanks for joining SR

Hope you will find answers to your problems.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My parents are alchohlics and when I started drinking I thought it was the norm and I went down that pattern you think your going. When I figured out this was not the norm i had fallen in to deep into drinking and stopped caring. My parents still drink and they don't understand my sobriety. But now I'm 32 I've been sober since 3/1/08 and life is much better for me. Keep posting
Old 03-13-2010, 08:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

hey guys, just checking in, not sober yet, but ive been gradually slowing down, i know its all or nothing, but i hope to get to the point where i can flat out quit, been thinkin bout AA, i just dont have the proper hours with my job though, maybe i can switch shifts...not sure, thought i would check back in though