Notices

First AA meeting tomorrow!!!

Old 02-06-2010, 09:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First AA meeting tomorrow!!!

I've been struggling a lot lately with alcohol so I'm going to AA for the first time in the morning and doing an out patient program too. This disease is too hard to kick on my own. I'm VERY nervous...mostly because I'm 24 and scared there won't be anyone my age there. This website has been an amazing amount of support though. Hope I don't chicken out in the morning!
Old 02-06-2010, 10:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. We need you. Enjoy the meeting.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm so pleased to know you are going.
I figure it this way....would you leave a bar
if you wanted to drink because the patrons were older?

Most groups do have members in their 20's
and it's so good to see them with us.

Regardless of age....we are there to share
I suggest you lisen for the similarities

Enjoy and come back and let us know how it went
Old 02-07-2010, 04:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Enjoy your meeting. I am sure there are people your age, in your area in AA. Even if they are not in that particular meeting on that day, you will be made welcome.

I find that as I keep attending the same meetings I see different faces all the time as people travel around to different meetings.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If it helps any, I'm 25 now and was 24 last year when I went to my first AA meeting and I was warmly and kindly greeted by people of all ages. Depending on how big or small your town is there may or may not be people your age, but don't let that stop. In my experience it has always been a great group of friendly, understanding and supportive people regardless of age. And most of us are young at heart anyways. Enjoy the meeting and hope you find it to be a pleasant and comfortable experience.

Wes
Old 02-07-2010, 07:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad to see you are going to go.
Don't worry about the age thing. I always have a great deal of respect for someone younger coming in. Because I wish I had the brains to quit at that age.
I wish you the best.
Fred
Old 02-07-2010, 07:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

So, how'd you do?
Old 02-07-2010, 08:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Any update? I hope you went to the meeting. The meetings I have been going to have people of all ages... one of them eve has teenagers that come in from a youth facility. The spectrum is really amazing.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

mellieJan2010....
Welcome to SR and to our Alcoholism Forum
Thanks for sharing your experience
Old 02-07-2010, 10:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good for you for taking that initial step! Keep an open mind and let us know how it went!
Old 02-07-2010, 12:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aqua4017 View Post
I'm VERY nervous...mostly because I'm 24 and scared there won't be anyone my age there.
Well, I suppose you can wait till things get worse like they did for many others and go there when yer about 50 so you'd feel like you may fit in with the older ones there.

Or share a much too common tale told there, like how some of them once came to AA at a young age but didn't stick with it, cause of excuses they came up like 'being too young' at the time, only to come back 20 years later, and with much regret in hindsight, because later they wished they 'had' gone and remained in AA longer when they were younger, which would have spared them the hell they went through the years in between.

It's up to you and how bad in the present day you wish to get sober and 'stay' sober, and there is a difference in the two.

I was 36 when I 'came back.' I was 33 in my first attempt in AA. An old timer approached me and asked if it was my first AA meeting. I said "yes sir, it is". He told me I was the most important person in the room. Looking around, I thought to myself, "you got that right pal!" A few days later I heard him tell that to someone else. Then I thought to myself, "the lying SOB! I thought he told me "I" was the most important person in the room.

In time I realized I had to do what worked for others. Got me one of those things they called a 'sponsor'. Made a commitment to make 90 meetings and make my own decision if this way of life was for me or not. Bought a Big Book and began reading it.

Ya see, I may be 22 years sober today, but you being 24, are ahead of this game. You can have what I do. I can never have what you have. I can never say I knew what it was like to be 24 and be sober. I had to live another 12 years more of research and destruction before I was ready to surrender.

So it comes down to, you either 'do' or you 'don't'. If by chance you did 'chicken out' and made some excuse not to make that meeting you spoke of, there's always tomorrow to make that same choice. If you did make it, that's great. And the best thing you could have heard there was, where there's a meeting tomorrow night.

My best to you on what you seek.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I went! It was different than what I expected, but in a good way. The support there is amazing and I'm going back tomorrow at noon for another meeting and to purchase the big book. To all those who are skeptical of AA like I was, give it one meeting before you make any decisions!
Old 02-08-2010, 08:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am 31 and even though I am not that much older than you I wish I would have taken steps when I was 24....
Old 02-09-2010, 12:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Aqua.....Congratulations ....
Old 02-09-2010, 02:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i sincerely hope you get from AA what i have aqua.it has been an amazing journey for me this last year,open-mindedness is one of the most important things!
i am a 37 year old female,my best friend and spiritual advisor if you like is a 60 year old male....i have learnt a trememndous amount from this dear man.
another best friend is a lady that is 69 tommorow,i took her for her first tattoo last week! lol,,,,
it truly is a wonderful fellowship.
i saw you said you are getting a big book.
i know its early days,but i could only stay stopped by getting on the 12 steps that are contained in the big book.
its not about booze today,i have a programme for living and its indescribable!