Notices

Hey everyone.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey everyone.

Im new to the site, figured I'd introduce myself. Ive been reading many of the different stories posted throughout these forums in the last two weeks (during the time I usually spent drinking) tonight will be my 15th night sober in a row.

I've been abusing alcohol daily since I was 16. (I'm now 24). Until I had a "moment of clarity" in May 2009, well really what it was was that I fell in love. The relationship didn't last very long (not because of my drinking though) but it did make me slow down my drinking tremendously since then, limiting myself to only a couple of nights a week. As time went on these drinking nights became less frequent when finally I had a sober period of 11 days at the end of the year, including the first sober new years eve of my adult life. I had planned on drinking that night but somehow talked myself out of it, it did cause some awkward scenes that night cause noone knows I'm an alcoholic, I just said I wasn't feeling well. Sadly I got smashed 5 days later on the bottle of champagne I didn't drink that new years eve.

On January 23th after my last night of drinking I finally came to realise that I just need to stop it alltogether. Each time I drink I'm right back to square one in my recovery. The sad (beautiful really) part about it is that towards the end I didn't even enjoy myself like I used to, somehow I slowly developed a disliking to it, it's really strange to me but I'm glad to say it's finally over.

I'm finally done with it, I've had enough (literally).
Old 02-06-2010, 12:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome to SR! Glad you are here. Also, congrats on 15 days!
Old 02-06-2010, 01:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Fantastic! Congratulations on being done with it at 24! You have so much ahead of you and you are obviously on a path to serenity, happiness and health. Way to go, friend!
Old 02-06-2010, 01:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR SugaFree

D
Old 02-06-2010, 01:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community

All my best as you find a healthier sober future.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to our Sober Recovery community!
Old 02-06-2010, 02:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
not little, a stranger no more

Welcome to SR!
Congrats on 15 days, great that you decided to do something about your pronblem. You'll find a lot of support here, it's a great place.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your sober time and big congrats on deciding to stop it before it stops you.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome.

I was 22 when I got sober. Alcoholics Anonymous is where I found help. I joined a group, I became the greeter, I made coffee and then picked up those coffee cups. I found a sponsor and started to read the big book. Things started to happen. I had a purpose and the beginning of a positive direction, it didn't happen overnight. I found a power greater then myself. The obsession was lifted. I kept coming to meetings and asked for more help.....the more meetings I came too the more alcoholic I seen that I was, the more meetings I came too the more glaring my character defects and short comings became. I had to grow or harbor resentments....I already knew where resentments and ill feelings took me, and that was to "The Agains" .

It was a process....time took it's course and water seeked it's own level. Finally for the first time in my life, a new hope became and I was associated with people who felt like the way I did. I was no longer on the outside looking in. I could finally shave in the mirror without feelings of disgust because of who I saw. I became useful to other people. Everyone had something to offer.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcomes

Im still going strong, today is the 17th day sober

One thing I noticed is that I seem to be doing a lot of sweating the last couple of days, it's the middle of the winter here, Im cold but I'm still sweating. You think its my body finally getting rid of some toxins? Never had this before during my shorter sober periods.