Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

How long did it take hangovers to turn into withdrawal?

Notices

How long did it take hangovers to turn into withdrawal?

Old 12-20-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Carvin, good find to bump this topic back up. always really relevant info.

Did you think of seeing a doctor for your detox?

stay with it, going back to the booze is only going to make you have to start over at day 1 again.... no way in the world that is worth it.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alwyshope12 View Post
Carvin, good find to bump this topic back up. always really relevant info.

Did you think of seeing a doctor for your detox?

stay with it, going back to the booze is only going to make you have to start over at day 1 again.... no way in the world that is worth it.
So far so good. I was down about 2 and a half days with hell but this afternoon I have started to feel like my old self again. My Detox has been really light compared to some people I know. I didn't really think to much into see a doctor. I will if complications come up like kidney issues etc, but hopefully everything will recover naturally with time and without a Doctor.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by downtown3 View Post
Great read! I don't think i can really pinpoint exactly when my hangovers started turning into withdrawls but I do remember recognizing the difference. I always new, because by 4 or 5 pm, when i would normally be breaking loose of the early morning hangover, out of nowhere, another more sinister creature began making an appearance - withdrawl symptoms!. They always came the same time of day and after a while, they were brought on by only a few days of continuous drinking. Early on i would have to hit it hard for a couple weeks for me to show withdrawls - now 2 or 3 heavy days would be enough. Ill will never forget how they felt and how every second felt like an eternity when trying to get through them.
This exactly how it is for me almost. I could get away with 2 days maybe but anything else right when the normal hangover would normally break away a real dark creature would grab hold. Very Scary stuff if you ever been through it. I never want to feel that bad again.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Good thread, shows the progressiveness and increasing misery of alcoholism.

For me the whole thing progressed rather quickly I'm afraid to admit...I'm 23 now and I already experience some light withdrawal symptoms when coming off a bender. Been drinking nearly every evening for the last six or something months, sometimes hair of the dog as well. I remember like three years ago, when I would binge infrequently, I had the old classic hangover, and usually massive ones because I would go overboard on the booze unfortunately. But like a year ago probably the whole thing turned into a different monster: withdrawal. Night sweats, unable to sleep at night, heartrate at something like 120 and the worst: MASSIVE anxiety and depression. Like a total feeling of hopelessness and doom. Unbelievable that I still haven't managed to get sober, such a horrible drug.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

D
Old 12-21-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to have you join us CarvinDC125
This thread may interest you

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...lly-again.html

D
Old 12-21-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Just me

I've been drinking for 14 years. 6 months ago, I found my hangovers were no longer gone by noon.

I now have the shakes all day after drinking. I also started vomiting in the morning. Never got headaches before but do now.

I think my body is just worn out.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Hangovers are withdrawl; it's just a matter of degrees. The more and longer one drinks, the worse they get.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:23 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Matt M

Nowadays if I drank a lot up until say 8pm, by 12pm the next day i'd be in serious trouble withdrawal wise.

Incredible shakes, huge anxiety, racing heart and the constant fear of waking up after having another seizure.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Thank you for resurrecting this old thread. While I was not a drink all day drunk, I drank enough at night to provide heart racing and anxiety the next day.

If you've ever seen those pharmaceutical ads in the states that list all the side effects of the drug, it can be scary and humorous for some of the prescription drugs. Imagine a budweiser commercial: side effects may include racing heart,violent shaking, seizures, or death.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by tang View Post
imagine a budweiser commercial: Side effects may include racing heart,violent shaking, seizures, or death.
roflol!
Old 12-23-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Matt M

Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Thank you for resurrecting this old thread. While I was not a drink all day drunk, I drank enough at night to provide heart racing and anxiety the next day.

If you've ever seen those pharmaceutical ads in the states that list all the side effects of the drug, it can be scary and humorous for some of the prescription drugs. Imagine a budweiser commercial: side effects may include racing heart,violent shaking, seizures, or death.

Scariest thing is that hardly anybody knows about the fatal danger of alcohol withdrawal!
The reason for that probably lies somewhere with the companies who make money out of alcohol.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MattM316 View Post
Scariest thing is that hardly anybody knows about the fatal danger of alcohol withdrawal!
The reason for that probably lies somewhere with the companies who make money out of alcohol.
This thread is a little old, but reading through it was SO valuable to me.
Matt you are correct that people do not realize how bad alcohol withdrawal can be.
In nursing school we learned that alcohol withdrawal is the only type of withdrawal that can actually kill you.
I sincerely wish more people understood how terrible it is for you
Old 01-31-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Matt M

Originally Posted by Kg1015 View Post
This thread is a little old, but reading through it was SO valuable to me.
Matt you are correct that people do not realize how bad alcohol withdrawal can be.
In nursing school we learned that alcohol withdrawal is the only type of withdrawal that can actually kill you.
I sincerely wish more people understood how terrible it is for you

I remember when I first read about it about 5 years ago just before I had my first withdrawal seizures, and more or less nobody actually believed me.
My girlfriend at the time didn't.

But then I'd rather they still didn't believe me and i'd not had seizures!
Old 01-31-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MattM316 View Post
I remember when I first read about it about 5 years ago just before I had my first withdrawal seizures, and more or less nobody actually believed me.
My girlfriend at the time didn't.

But then I'd rather they still didn't believe me and i'd not had seizures!

I can very much relate to this. A couple of months ago I hab a discussion with a peer from university about how dangerous and devastating alcohol is in comparison to drugs like heroin and co. He totally didn't get it. He didn't even believe me that people die from alcohol withdrawal on a regular basis, which is rarely the case with heroin if I'm not misinformed. I think it's the old "alcohol is not a REAL drug"-thinking that many people still have, when in reality it's probably the most dangerous and worst drug of them all.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:18 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

This is a very good thread and the best one i have read that fits me at the moment.

My question is when does it merrit seeking medical attention for your withdrawls/hangovers.

Im a 27 year old male and work overseas in a remote area, i would not say i am a dependent drinker but i usually drink every night after work (6-8 pints of beer) through choice and boredom, for the last 6 years this has not been a problem even on a saturday when i usually have a binge, i have never missed my work due to drink problems and i didnt think it has effected me greatly until recent.

After a saturday night binge i experienced a crippling hangover that i couldnt get out of bed allday, after only several trips to the fridge to get water the night tkme arrived and things started to get intresting, i had sever bouts of fear followed panic attacks, i couldnt sit still jn my room and began to fear for my life, i had the usual chest pains and nausea ssociated with anxiety, i rode out the night by trying to focus on the tv to put me to sleep, on the second day i began having the physical tremors, ***** and rapid heart beat ect. i seeked no medical help due to not wanting to call the company doctor about an alcohol relatated matter.

Since this episode i had a month break over the new year and basically drank myself stupid for the whole month experiencing only mild hangover usually due the fact i would start drinkkng again. on my arrival back to work last week i felt a bit off but nothing k wouldnt expect, i decided to stop the drinking after work and begin eating healthy, this worked for a week and things were going great, i met and old friend on friday and decided to go for a beer after work, 4 beers nothing heavy and yesterday im back to full panic mode with sever headaches and nausea and this is now day 2 and i dont feel any better and am currently typjng this out at 6am on my day off. i dont think k should be feeling this after so little drink along with food.

I am hoping today i feel better but at the moment it feels like it will be much the same, am not sure a doctor can dk much to help you ride through the un-easy feeling allday and the fear at night .
Old 01-31-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by julez View Post
I would wake up, initially feeling crappy, but able to at least get up and get it together. Shaking hands, headache, sick tummy for sure, but mobile at least. Hour by hour it got worse and worse. Usually by noon I was full out useless, sick as a dog, with more anxiety than ever.
So glad I stopped.
This. My hangovers would peak (headache, ANXIETY, sweating, heart palpitations) around noon at work. How strange. Felt worse at noon than 7:00 am.

It took about five years of nightly, heavy drinking (8-12) units of vodka a night over 4-5 hours to go into daily withdrawals. I felt horrible, every day, all day until I cured the bad feelings with a strong drink. Vodka made me sick and cured it at the same time. It was a daily cycle, as predictable as the sun rising and setting, my freakin' life.

When that first drink went down I could feel all life's problems just melt away. I could feel myself coming alive again.

Isn't it weird how after you are so used to drinking 8-12 drinks a night you start to think that's not that much? I guess us humans get used to whatever we do every single day for years.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:49 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
This. My hangovers would peak (headache, ANXIETY, sweating, heart palpitations) around noon at work. How strange. Felt worse at noon than 7:00 am.

It took about five years of nightly, heavy drinking (8-12) units of vodka a night over 4-5 hours to go into daily withdrawals. I felt horrible, every day, all day until I cured the bad feelings with a strong drink. Vodka made me sick and cured it at the same time. It was a daily cycle, as predictable as the sun rising and setting, my freakin' life.

When that first drink went down I could feel all life's problems just melt away. I could feel myself coming alive again.

Isn't it weird how after you are so used to drinking 8-12 drinks a night you start to think that's not that much? I guess us humans get used to whatever we do every single day for years.
I was the same way and in my case, at 7 am my BAC wasn't zero yet, so I'd be able to hang on. By noon time chances are I was completely sober, so that's why he it kicked it then. If I got really hammered and was only able to sleep 3-4 hours, I could get up and feel "okay" for another few hours. I was still pretty drunk a lot of those times, even if I believed I was sober.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:27 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I Similar to you at 20-26, i drank alot of beer, sherry sweet and port, weird for someone young abusing port and sherry but i loved the taste

Damn the hangovers were bad off sherry and port
Old 01-31-2015, 09:28 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Oops just realised the thread started in 2010. Hah