Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Has anyone else screwed up more times than you can count?

Notices

Old 02-02-2010, 01:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello all,

Ive recently started my path to recovery. Ive gotten my head clear and Im avidly pursuing healthy positive things.

Unfortunately, Im now very alone. I was always very shy with new people and still am. And ive lost many friends and family due to my drinking as well as my shyness, awkwardness, anger issues, and the difficulty I faced with an ex addict girlfriend.

It seems just about everyone dismisses me as crazy or annoying at this point.

In addition, I stopped tolerating bad behavior from people, which had the effect of alienating jerks which was good, but also mutual friends.

I have goals and dreams that I want to pursue now, and Im so much happier about who I am, but I feel like all is for naught since I am ashamed of my past, I and my only real friend is my mother at this point (lol).

Has anyone ever overcome these issues and if so, how?

Thanks everyone!
Old 02-02-2010, 01:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I feel very alone right now, and very dumb, as I screwed up just last night *this morning* Day 0 for me... your name says it all though. I was 47 days sober, I cannot believe I screwed up again.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Musician

Man.. I can totally relate!! I am trying to aagain start my path of recovery, but yeah i have lost count since november. feeling pretty alone too. What's weird is I have alot of friends and people that I think do care about me, but i am never happy. I guess that is where step work comes in and working a diligent program comes into play. best of luck.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The past is just that the past, a change in Attitude to how you deal with the future is
surely what matters, as to havin no real freinds but your mum, well i dont know what to
say... Other than real true freinds always stick around through good and bad times..
Jerks an hangers on Ah who needs em, as for paulo wow 47 days thats brill, no point
in punishing yourself after the event.. PICK YOURSELF UP AND START AGAIN, GOOD
LUCK GUYS,:wtf2
Old 02-02-2010, 01:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Many things lie deep in our hearts and our mind can play some funny games on us.
The only thing I can suggest is this;
Forgive yourself for anything that needs forgiving, forgive others for anything that needs forgiving and forgive the drug that possesses you, then maybe our heart and minds can look clearer towards a better future. Once we accept what we can not change, then we can change.
Jo
Old 02-02-2010, 02:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Thanks... jo/dasha, forgiveness ... I just feel like being so angry and ferocious right now to anything that would ever promote the drug or anything in general that would make you non sober like that drug could do and I'm ranting ... sorry -_-.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back....

I found AA is an awesome adventure in living sober.
You meet so many new people who share the same
goal of a healthy positive future without alcohol

When I began working my AA Steps...I felt a shift in
perception ....from sober into solid recovery.
We can and do change into the person you desire to be.

Hope this helps you sort out your situation....
Old 02-02-2010, 02:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Hi all:

I'm two weeks clean today from Hydro's, AGAIN. My travel on these pain meds has been one surgery or an injury after another. You can start over, just as I have. You have to reach deep into yourself and REALLY WANT to stay clean and start over. I started a funny thing of helping me get thru. My headboard is dusty. So on day 3. I reached up and put that number in the dust. Then it was day 8, so I put that number in the dust under the 3. Then it was 11 days, so I put that number in the dust. Tomorrow I'll put day 15 in the dust.

But I've also started a calendar with gold stars on each following day that I stayed off the pills. It might sound like a childish thing to do, but it is a reminder for how many days I've gone w/o. Plus it gives me something to work towards TOMORROW!!

Not many of us have stopped using and never gone back. We start using again for some of the craziest reasons out there. You just have to be willing to start saying NO AGAIN and get on with the good clean life you know you had once before.

I have lots of friends and family members that know my story. They are always over joyed to see me clean and try to handle it when I'm not. I like the over joy part better. So that's where I try to guide my life to everyday.

I wish you all well and you know deep down inside there is a person telling you it can be done again. Don't worry about what others are thinking. You only have yourself to be concerned with. So start your numbers in the dust or get you a box of gold stars.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all!!

I'm realizing that I have no control over my weaknesses and trying to act strong in the face of it is not working. I definitely have a lot of problems I need to work on.

I'm 30 and most of my friends and family are starting their own and have these great careers and what not, I feel so pathetic.

What terrifies me the most is that I'm so horrible at interacting with people due to my anxiety and abuse growing up, that I feel like I'll never fit in or meet someone. When I'm not faking it, I'm the guy that stares at the ground and can't look you in eye.

I'm gonna try to keep my mind off of all this and relax or go do some constructive things.

I hope to have a big wall of gold stars one day. Thanks again for the kind words everyone.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ago

you made me laugh, my response after reading your title was "well DUH"

of course I have

I overcame every single problem you listed by attending AA, the social stuff, the isolation, and they even offer a solution since I was prone to misery and despair while not drinking.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

To simply answer your question, I say "Yes!", or "well DUH" like Ago said

The way I 'get over it' is by living my life in a way that will ensure I never do things like I used to again.