Notices

2nd Time easier?

Old 02-01-2010, 10:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

2nd Time easier?

Those of us who have done this more than once, do you think it's easier the 2nd time to quit?

I mean it's only my 1st day but it seems much easier than I remember it. I had no problem last night. It's like I have this switch inside that I just flip up to go to sober time. Maybe It's because I know what to expect?

Maybe it's the pink cloud? I dunno. But I remember it being Very hard.
Maybe it's because the first time I quit I was coming off a 5 year run and this time it's only been a 5 month run.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I here ya. I'm starting over also. It's been 8 months for me. I have more confidence with staying sober this time around.

Congrats on starting over!
Old 02-01-2010, 11:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me, it seemed to get harder each time I tried to quit (probably because I didn't really want to quit drinking). This time has been hard, but I think the difference is I was ready and wanted to quit drinking. I was ready to take my life back.

Back to the original question....was it easier....yes and no. Yes, because I wanted it....No, because I still went through all the withdrawls.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi HWF....
Glad to see you are having no problems
starting back to sobriety.

tuco70...Hi...

Do either you have a plan in
to stay sober this time?
Old 02-01-2010, 12:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Hi i HWF....
Glad to see you are having no problems
starting back to sobriety.

Do you have a plan in mind to stay sober this time?
Hi Carol, good to see you!
my plan is not to drink! And to seek support here. Going back to AA is an option and if I feel I would need it I will. Gona be hard to face everybody after just disappearing the last 5 months.

In my last sobriety I was fine! made it 7 months and thought I'll have a glass of wine, no harm there. Boy what a mistake! I believe soon as I make it past the 30 day mark I'll be OK as long as I don't have that" glass of wine".

P.S I hated everyday for the last 5 months. I wish I didn't do this to my self and I wish I didn't have this problem.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My noon neeting was on Step 2.....
22 of us sharing on how insane we became
when we added alcohol into our lives.

Someone said...."It's mind blowing....literally"

Do keep posting and moving forward
Good to share with you again.....
Old 02-01-2010, 07:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can't remember the second time I tried to quit. It was several hundred times ago.
I do know about the second time I quit and made it more than 6 months. That is this time, and I'm going on 11 months.
Both times I attended AA. I failed the first time when I quit attending. That was 20 years ago.
My second time longer than 6 months started last march 28th
I am slacking off my meetings lately, but I feel I'm in no danger of drinking. I truely have no desire anymore to drink.
I couldn't have made it this far without AA, and I don't think I will ever stop going.
But to answer your question, if you count it the second time to AA, I would say yes. It was easier. But looking back I think I wanted to quit more than I ever had.
I wish you the best.
Fred
Old 02-02-2010, 10:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Musician

I had some good clean time (18 months) most i ever had.. I relapsed and have been struggling ever since. So, in my experience, it's been very hard, harder than the last time. I was told in the meetings that it always is.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

I guess I was just talking about the first day, as I'm thinking about it more as the time goes by. I Called my buddy and I'm unloading all the liquor in the cabinet to him. I also have quite a few bottles of wine he's getting.

Is it wrong to give it away to another? Should I pour it down the drain?

Seems like a waste to pour it?
Old 02-02-2010, 06:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I gave a bunch of beer away when I quit. I tried pouring it out, but I just couldn't see doing that, when I knew someone that wasn't financially stable that was going to buy it anyway.
But I tell you what. That person hardly talks to me anymore. Can you say resentment. I know he resents the fact that I have quit. He sure seemed happy when I gave it to him. I don't know what else it could be.
But no , I don't think it's wrong.
Fred
Old 02-02-2010, 08:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by swampy View Post
I had some good clean time (18 months) most i ever had.. I relapsed and have been struggling ever since. So, in my experience, it's been very hard, harder than the last time. I was told in the meetings that it always is.
Same here. I relapsed many times and it seemed to get harder each time. They say alcoholism is a progressive disease and every time I went back to drinking my binges got worse.