Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

day #2- help!! biggest withdrawl symptom is tightness in kidney area

Notices

Old 01-31-2010, 06:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day #2 of cold turkey without booze. i've been warned about my high liver functioning by my doctors for years now and been advised to quit asap. the most horrible side effect tonight is unbearable tightness/pressure in what feels like my kidneys. anyone with thoughts on this would be great

any tips for sleeping tonight? last night i was like a deer in the headlights. feel asleep on my back for 30minutes and had a brutal nightmare. i can't sleep on the right side of my body as i think my liver is swollen

God bless you all
Old 01-31-2010, 07:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

SR members are not allowed to give medical advice
it's impossible to know what is happening to you.

The best idea is to call your doctor ...he/she has your
records and would know what is best for you.

You could also go to the nearest hospital for assistance.

Rest if you can't sleep....try a warm bath or shower.

Sorry to know you are having pain and difficulties...
Welcome back to SR
Old 01-31-2010, 07:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

sorry i forgot about the rule of giving medical advice. thanx for the response
Old 01-31-2010, 07:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

If the pain is that bad, I would go to the hospital. Like CarolD said, we can't give medical advice, but I think it would be a good thing to have it looked out, if not tonight, tomorrow for sure.

As far as not sleeping, when you get tired enough, you'll fall asleep. I hope you're staying away from caffeine right now because that will keep you awake and make you more jittery than you may be right now. Is someone going to be with you tonight?

Hang in there. It will get better, I can promise you that.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 01-31-2010, 07:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi mercurial me

My thoughts are - pls see a doctor. Go to the ER if that's your only option.
There really is no substitute for professional care in these kinds of circumstances.

D
Old 01-31-2010, 07:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

not touching caffeine but considering a sleeping pill. my wonderful fiance has been here today trying to keep me diverted but i feel guilty when she has to see me shake and sweat and not get tired. i have a total overload of mental energy so i was totally like a beaver today doing little tasks around the house because i can't concentrate on just one thing. i was going to a walk-in clinic today but they were closed. my family doc just read me the riot act (again) last week about my bloodwork results so i figure if i go to emergency they're just going to tell me what i already have been told. this is brutal & thanx for your prayers
Old 02-01-2010, 05:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
not little, a stranger no more

Hi Mercurial,

I agree that you should see a dr.,

my family doc just read me the riot act (again) last week about my bloodwork results so i figure if i go to emergency they're just going to tell me what i already have been told.
This is actually good news, because your family dr. knows what's going on, knows your physical state quite well, so he can treat you appropriately. And you don't need be afraid to be "told off" by medical staff-they are not against you, they can help you with withdrawal. And so what if people tell you what you already know? You are there because you want to do something about your problem, that's what is important. There is medication that can get you safely through detox.

Hang in there and take care, you can get through this, but you don't need to do this alone.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i made it through the night. my whole upper body was internally on fire and i finally got to sleep @ 3am. i've got to work today but going to see the doc afterwards. wish me luck and thanks so much for the support!
Old 02-01-2010, 08:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
not little, a stranger no more

Thanks for the update, and good decision to go to the dr.
Just be honest with him and you'll gonna be ok.
Good luck and keep coming back If you give it the chance and don't continue drinking , the body has pretty good abilities to heal.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I made it through today (sober) and went to a walk-in clinic after work. Doc said that my binge drinking was masking all the physical side effects and now they are manifesting themselves in the pain. He offered my ativan but I refused for now but he did prescribe beta blockers. Going to see my regular doc asap this week and I hope this pain goes away. I just hope I can sleep for more than 3 hours tonight as I can't afford to take a sick day off work. Thanks again
Old 02-01-2010, 10:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you got it checked out MM

D
Old 02-02-2010, 05:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I remember that hell.. and I remember the fear. I'm so glad that you're getting checked out. Take care!
Old 02-02-2010, 05:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

made it through another day (sober). i still feel pressure on my kidneys & this awful kind of "fork lightning-like" pain in my chest & abdomen. i'm not sure if this is normal. i'm not a wimp when it comes to pain but i may go to emergency tonight if this continues to get full bloodwork done. i've dealt with the sweats & the shakes & the paranoia before but this is scaring me half to death. thanx for listening. whatever is going on is at least motivating me to stay away from the liquor stores
Old 02-03-2010, 12:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey merc, wondering how are you doing today?

I drink lots of cranberry juice.. they say it's good for flushing the kidneys.

Hang in there.
Hoping all is ok with you.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

I dont want to rock the boat here but you need some urgent professional help to stop drinking in a controlled rehab centre. Your body is telling you to stop.
Some say your body will repair itself - I question that as my sister died 3 months ago from liver failure. She had many visits to hospital with this pain, so help yourself while you can, ok.
Jo
Old 02-03-2010, 02:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi, justjo, i dont mean to gatecrash someone elses post, could you tell us about your
sister,like how long she was drinking, and what early signs/warnings she may of had and
what led up to her death, i realize this maybe very personal and you may not wish to
share this... Only one close to me worries me! and reading early signs stages of illness
can maybe help others to see certain things in themselves... They may have blocked
and avoided viewing. take care. and merc i hope you heeded the good advice.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

day #4 and sober. waiting to hear about bloodtest results and still have lots of pressure in my kidney areas which is scary as hell. still making it to work everyday but not sleeping worth a damn. i'm 31, have been drinking 12-15 beers/drinks since i've been 18 and have had numerous warnings about my high liver functioning in the past x5 years. i've quit before but never for more than x3 weeks. blackouts, getting sick, dodging police checkstops & the burden on my finances and relationships never motivated me to quit but living this hell is doing the trick. the silver lining in this cloud is 4 days of sobriety at least. thanx for checking in all. this stuff i can't share with family and my fiance is worried but there is little she can do
Old 02-03-2010, 07:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Mercurial, try getting yourself some milk thistle. Take two in the morning and two at night, it helps the liver the grow new cells and aids in regeneration.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Originally Posted by mercurial me View Post
day #4 and sober. waiting to hear about bloodtest results and still have lots of pressure in my kidney areas which is scary as hell. still making it to work everyday but not sleeping worth a damn. i'm 31, have been drinking 12-15 beers/drinks since i've been 18 and have had numerous warnings about my high liver functioning in the past x5 years. i've quit before but never for more than x3 weeks. blackouts, getting sick, dodging police checkstops & the burden on my finances and relationships never motivated me to quit but living this hell is doing the trick. the silver lining in this cloud is 4 days of sobriety at least. thanx for checking in all. this stuff i can't share with family and my fiance is worried but there is little she can do
Ive read your post - you should be scared.. whats it going to take for you?? Death was my sisters answer?? She had many blood tests too, many visits to the hospital with liver probs (she was actually yellow in the end as a result of this) Yeah, blackouts that made her look like a black and white jigsaw puzzle, yeah, sick all the time, (didnt eat anything because the bottle kept yelling at her), Yeah she couldnt share much with family either and yeah her partner was worried as hell too) and he couldnt stop it either!!
She crashed the car that many times you cant recognize the model and her house looked like no one had lived in it for years, sorry, had lived in it and never cleaned it up!!
Her hair was falling out from malnutrition and the bruises looked like someone had beat her up (but they hadnt). To watch her shake and look so frail was sickening to me, s c a r y.
If you think your fiancee has a burden now, wait till she had to make arrangements for your funeral and clean up your mess, cry every night because she feels so helpless and wants you back.
I guess Im being more direct than the others, but you need to know that the reality is death if you keep this up.
Everyday you turn the other way and think one more wont hurt, well it will, it may very well kill you too and then, its just too late! And do you think the bottle gives a damn?
Old 02-05-2010, 07:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanx for the message Jo. I am sorry for your loss as well. Despite abusing my body for so many years with booze I am well aware of the gravity of my situation & I know you had good intentions with your blunt response.
Still sober (coming up on a week) and awaiting my test results. Hope everyone has a great weekend