Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Could use some advice drying out the next few days

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 12:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and I'm trying to deal with my alcoholism. There have been several times in the last few months where I become absolutely determined to quit drinking for at least a month and try to evaluate where to go from there. After a lot of determination I can get about a day of sobriety under my belt.

Tapering off for me seems to be more successful than quitting cold, but then it's a struggle to drink a certain amount and then stop. The first issue is insomnia. By day 2 if I don't have at least a little bit of alcohol, my brain will not shut off no matter how exhausted I am.

What I'm looking for is some practical advice on getting through the initial physical withdrawal. I quit smoking this last year and I had a whole plan to get through the initial withdrawal phase, and I kind of need that for this. What helps? St. John's wort? Kudzu? Milk thistle? Kava? 5-HTP? I have most of these lying around or can go buy them but I wonder if any of them are going to help with the agitation of withdrawal.

Other than that, do I try to change my environment? Should I go to someone else's house to try and break my routine? Should I give up coffee or be on a special diet? These are the practical questions I need help with to get me through the next several days.

Thank you so much for your help.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It depends on the amount that you are drinking. Seeing a doctor is a good choice. However, I would eliminate caffeine, take a multi-vitamin and get some Gatorade. The sleep will get better after your body has detoxed the alcohol.
If you are drinking more than a pint of hard liquor or a 12 pack of beer a day it is suggested to see a doctor. A doctor will be able to give you some short term medication to ease the withdrawals. I'm from Chicago also and it always seemed like I increased my alcohol during the horrible winters.

tiburon
Old 01-08-2010, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm also from Chicago and this is a hard time to quit for sure. I am right at that pint a day mark so maybe I should see a doctor. Why the gatorade, by the way?
Old 01-08-2010, 01:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marek View Post
I'm also from Chicago and this is a hard time to quit for sure. I am right at that pint a day mark so maybe I should see a doctor. Why the gatorade, by the way?

Gatorade help you replenish because you are so dehydrated from the alcohol. Just be honest with your doctor and he/she will hopefully give you some sort of benzo that will help with the anxiety and insomnia.

tiburon
Old 01-08-2010, 02:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi. Welcome to SR

Seeing a Dr is a great move Marek - detox is often ok, but it can sometimes be dangerous. I'm still having problems left from my last detox in 2007.

You can also check out this thread for member experiences
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

D
Old 01-08-2010, 04:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR and to our Alcoholism Forum...

I too suggest seeing your doctor...and be very honest
about your drinking frequency and ammount.
That way the 2 of you can choose what is best for you.

You can find my experience in the link Dee posted
along with some solid information.

Good to know you are heading into a better future...
Old 01-08-2010, 04:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The Gatorade is because your electrolytes and blood sugar are a mess coming off alcohol. You really can't know for sure unless you get a glucose reading or blood work done. That's why it's easier, safer and faster to just see a doctor.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hmm, OK. I think I am going to give this a shot for now and set up an appointment with my doctor in the meantime. If this doesn't work now then I'll try again after the appointment.

I will go out and get some Gatorade. To be honest, I don't have a sweet tooth at all and never consume sugar. I have noticed that alcohol throws your blood sugar out of whack, though, so does this mean I should consume some kind of sugar as a supplement?

I'm really good about vitamins in general. I take a good multivitamin and a lot of vitamin D every day.

Benzodiazepines are out of the question as i was once dependant on them and developed a cross-tolerance to benzos and alcohol.

I will start reading through the 'what to expect' thread now... thanks.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

because of the possible medical implications of stopping abruptly its dangerous for me to give you advice.

i can tell you im a chronic alcoholic........and i needed meds and/or hospital care to come off booze.

everyone reacts different to stopping abruptly.....it also depends on your general physical condition..
some find certain meds help alot.....

an asessment by a doctor that has experience with alcoholism and /or alcohol dependency is highly advisable.

do not despair........it is possible to do this.

but please take some qualified advice........the conciquences of not doing so could be severe.

good luck and dont forget to post your experiences..............
Old 01-09-2010, 05:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Cook yourself plenty of eggs & bacon. I mean plenty. Take multivitamins.
Get to bed early pull the covers up and just flake out, as warm as poss.
Cook more eggs & bacon.
Don't be nervous of drying out on your own (nearly everyone does successfully), unless you know for definite that you have been having dangerous fits due to drying out, in which case get a doctor straight away.
And don't forget the eggs & bacon.
Company is good especially recovering company.
Some people seem to need sweet drinks or caffeine and some don't.
Don't forget those nourishing foods!
Old 01-09-2010, 06:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Marek,

Congrats on trying to stop. I stopped 9 years 5 months ago (but still know I'm one drink from square one) after drinking from age 16-24. I quit cold. Depending on your age and drinking level, seeing a doctor may be necessary.

I'm not sure how old you are or what your health is like, I was 24, and the first thing I did was started working out 5 days a week. If you can't do that, my advice is to replace it with "something" positive whether it be working out, a hobby, reading, something you can force yourself to do instead of drink and mentally say to yourself you are doing instead of drinking. All the supplements and whatever are fine, but in my opinion it's a mental game. Exercise helps with the physical and mental part big time, take 10 miles walks if you have to. By being physical you will help yourself detox and you will be accomplishing something real and measurable.

Here's what I think "It doesn't matter how you play the game, it's whether you win or lose that counts". Winning is not drinking. You need to find a strategy to defeat your own worst enemy that knows everything about you.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I should have said, many people I hear of just go cold turkey by themselves safely (like me), also some are admitted to a detox establishment. I don't hear of many cases where detox has to be slowed down due to dangerous fits. Sorry I wasn't clear.

And yes it's mainly a mental game, the other things are to help underpin that.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Back to the Kudzu

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie...I have been aware of my alcoholism for many years but never wanted to do anything about it. Well, it has affected my job, of course, there are many other warning signs that have occurred in my drinking career but I am exhausted! I have been inspired by this site, and it really is amazing to see all of the different types of abuse. I plan to post and ask questions for sure. In my search for ways to combat my urges, I did stumble upon Kudzu. I want to see if it can help to lighten my binge drinking. Marek brought it up, and I am glad (thanks Marek). Any thoughts? Experiences? I will obviously be working with my physician but am in the beginning stages of a person trying to make that leap to even stop. I have slowed (tapered as some of you talk about) successfully but as i have explored this site over the last two weeks I have finally decided to go to my first AA meeting tomorrow night. Thanks, guys. At 35, this has got to stop (I've been drinking since junior high). Baby steps are working for now.....If the support from meetings is as helpful as this- I feel positive.

Steph
Old 01-12-2010, 10:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

I'm not a doctor and do not recommend detoxing without direct medical supervision.

That said, in my experience detoxing a bunch of different times, there's isn't much that can be done to make it any more comfortable. For me, I just had to gut it out.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm just wondering where all the eggs and bacon come in? Is that step 0.5 or something. Will my sobriety be hindered from lack of cholesterol? Just kidding, eggs and bacon sound pretty good right now
Old 01-13-2010, 11:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It's my understanding that Kudzu helps with the cravings but is not a detox. Am I misinformed? Thanks... (I eat eggs every morning! Whew!)
Old 01-13-2010, 12:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Serendipity13 .....Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum...

Glad you are seeing your doctor as t o what will be the
crrect action that will most benefit your health.

I never took Kudzu ...or anything else ...to lessen my
cravings for alcohol.
Mine did not last long...why do you think yours will?

Yes I do use AA as my recovery program....it's a
vital plus in my life. Can be for you too...
Old 01-13-2010, 12:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Here is my experience .....

In early sobriety....
I timed my cravings.

They were 5-7 minutes in duration.
Not too long too endure discomfort
Soooo....I took action.
Walked...Brushed my teeth... Drank cold water...Hard candy

Within 2 weeks...the lessened in both time and intensity.
By 2 or so months .... they vanished......

Now...were they mental or physical?
Darn if I know. Nor do I care.

Forward we go...side by side
Old 01-13-2010, 06:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Found View Post
Cook yourself plenty of eggs & bacon.

Cook more eggs & bacon.

And don't forget the eggs & bacon.

See that...the wonderful goodness of bacon can even make detox better. Is there nothing bacon can not do???
Old 01-13-2010, 06:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Me....Welcome back to SR
I hope your life is running smoothly...

Blessings to you and your family