Notices

I'm doing it...At last!!

Old 01-08-2010, 04:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm doing it...At last!!

Thank's to this forum and the wealth of wisdom in these posts....I am on day 2 sober.

For the past few weeks I have mainly poured over these posts, whilst drinking with gusto...waiting..waiting....waiting...till I got my head in the right place?

Well finally last night...my husband still at work, my dogs waiting to be walked, looking after my 3 year old...I just got the almighty urge to get into my car and get to that 1st AA meeting...the one I never thought I could do.

I put my sobriety before everything else last night...and I DID IT...and I'm so glad I did. I felt such a mixture of emotions sitting there in that room....relief that I had done it....looking at everyone to make sure I was actually in the right place....must have thought they would be trolls or geeks or worse!!

Then I nearly started crying,,, then I got really angry. I'm such an introvert It was like torture for me. But best bit was the last bit...when a lady, very much like me excpet she was a graceful, cheerful, happy lady...came up to me, gave me her phone number along with the biggest cuddle ever...and made me feel 'cared for'.

I doubt without this forum I would have gotten up enough courage to go, esp by myself, but I just knew inside...I cannot do it alone anymore.

I prayed to my HP first to get me there...very icy roads, help to find the place, get me in the door...and when back at home my daughter gave me a big cuddle and said 'WELL DONE MUM'. I then prayed to my HP to get me through the night and keep me safe and well...and here I am today...day 2...at work and feeling great.

Happy thoughts coming to all of you.
Big hugs xx
Old 01-08-2010, 05:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 2.
Yea it really is hard to walk into a meeting for the first time. Until you get through the door, then it gets much easier. Everyone else had to walk through the door for the first time also. Why is it hard to walk into a meeting and simple to walk into a bar? Who knows.
Hang in there.
Life is sooo much better sober.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

....Good for you!
AA has been and is .... an awesome adventure
in living sober for me.

Blessings to you and your family
Old 01-08-2010, 06:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job, Stayinfree!

I'm glad you had a good experience! Keep going strong!
Old 01-08-2010, 06:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So psyched for you! Congrats on going to your first meeting--a very difficult first step. I so enjoy my friends in recovery, and I encourage you to go again and again (and "go for coffee" (recovery) after. First time sober--6 and a half months--i went to meetings sparsely, because, mostly, I was angry. I relapsed for about nine months (thank goodness it wasn't longer!).When I was finally "done," I followed directions: 90 meetings in 90 days. Seems like a lot, but I always found time to drink for an hour (at least) every day for 90 days plus! Don't stop before the miracle happens. I'm sober almost 4 years! THAT is a miracle!
Old 01-08-2010, 07:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh, forgot to mention: Just for today. (Seriously, don't worry about tomorrow or about cravings or rationalizations. They may happen. Stay in the day. This helped me so much when I was first getting sober. Just for today, just for today, just for today.)
Old 01-08-2010, 09:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Well done you!

Originally Posted by Stayinfree View Post
But best bit was the last bit...when a lady, very much like me excpet she was a graceful, cheerful, happy lady...came up to me, gave me her phone number along with the biggest cuddle ever...and made me feel 'cared for'.

That feeling to unconditional acceptance by a complete stranger is amazing. Where else would a stranger behave like that? It makes you wonder why alcoholics get such a bad name
Old 01-08-2010, 01:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That is so wonderful! Give her a call. She didn't give you that number for nothing. Congrats to you and keep up the good work.