Notices

Well, that wasn't a pleasant night

Old 01-03-2010, 07:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well, that wasn't a pleasant night

I was sort of edgy through the day yesterday. Did my best to occupy my mind and find distractions. I was such a clock-watcher though - "OK, noon, no glass(es) of wine with lunch." "Two??? How can it only be two???" "I made it until four so let's just try to make it through dinner without cracking a bottle open."

Followed the doctor's orders and monitored my BP (periods of highs and normal but nothing approaching stroke territory) and took the anti-anxiety med.

Slept 10 mins here and there. Up constantly checking on a newborn and a 3 yo child with a health condition (I'm going to be up all night so my spouse might as well finally get a full night of sleep, right?). I don't know what was worse - dealing with a 2nd night of minimal sleep or the constant self-analysis and "chatter" in my head ("why am I doing this to myself?", "I should try this again when I have some time off from work instead of now", "a couple glasses of wine don't mean anything and will settle me down").

I finally managed to fall asleep (wicked crazy dreams!) when my spouse got up and I slept for 3 hours...and I made it through the night without drinking.

Guess this is officially Day 2 for me. After just one night I think I see why we never quit drinking. Congrats to everyone else who's footsteps I'm following in - I appreciate your strength and the support of the SR forums.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hang in there............it will get better..........i am only on day 7 and already feel so much better............sleeping is still a problem but i have never been able to sleep well............you are doing great by being able to talk yourself out of giving in.........you have strength and willpower that many will be inspired by.......keep up the great work
Old 01-03-2010, 08:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 1
Melatonin helped me sleep(its available in the vitamin section) I still take it. Vitamin B-6 will help with dreams. Plus you should be taking B-complex.
Keep it up, life really is sooo much better sober.
Fred
Old 01-03-2010, 08:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nonexistent Willpower

Originally Posted by MeAndOnlyMe View Post
I was sort of edgy through the day yesterday....After just one night I think I see why we never quit drinking.
HaHa, yeah. Are YouandOnlyYou doing this on your own? Because as you elude to it's more of a "not drinking" problem we have. That's why we need a group of people to help us. Like real-live-in-the-flesh-human-beings.

Grats on day 1.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know how u feel. It sucks.

.....but like u said, why do I keep doing it?

I remember waking up 3, 4am after a binge from 3pm-9pm the nite before. Full of panic, anxiety, OCDing, pacing the house while the family sleeps sound.

Becoming paranoid, hallucinating, peeking out the windows........on and on and on.

Hang in there. Your body will recover.

Intro
Old 01-03-2010, 09:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

It gets better, but yes, it can really be bad in the first few days.

I realized that the alcohol was just covering up my real problems. So, once I started working on those problems (anxiety, wanting to control everything, fear, etc.), I didn't have the cravings as bad.

Sleep is really important for me, so do try to get some. Our thoughts are with you.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I can promise you - you never have to go through this again.
You never have to drink again.

It *will* get better.

and now day one is over.

Good for you!
Old 01-04-2010, 08:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by barb dwyer View Post
I can promise you - you never have to go through this again.
You never have to drink again.
What Barb said up above, I repeated to myself like a mantra throughout my detox. Everytime I wanted to give in and give up I would remind myself that if I did that then I would have to start over again and that would give me the push to go a little longer.

Take care,
Kellye