Notices

state BAC record wow

Old 12-31-2009, 05:03 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Breathalyzers are hardly an exact science. This is a chemical answer...

Alright: A BAC is determined by measuring the amounts of C2H5OH particles in your breath, not your blood. Then, that number is multiplied by a number determined by the state you live in, currently this is anywhere from 1700:1 to 2100:1. While .08 is legally drunk in all 50 states, how much it takes to arrive at .08 can vary wildly depending on that magic multiplier. So for this to be completely accurate, we need to know the South Dakota multiplier.

So the amount of actual alcohol in the bloodstream of our wild Sturgis, SD woman? I'm gonna assume the lowest, 1700:1. Here we go. 1 gram of alcohol in the breath is roughly equal to 1 ml of blood. This woman had .7 grams per 100 ml's of alcohol in her breath, so .7 ml per 100 ml of blood. There are approximately 6000 ml's of blood in the human body. So, someone blowing a .7 would have approximately .19% of alcohol in their bloodstream.

That sounds small, but remember that alcohol is an extremely simple compound and is fast acting. It is absorbed through tissues, so the lips, tongue, mouth, esophagus, and stomach have all had a crack at absorbing the liquor before it hits the bloodstream. Alcohol works through the cells and nervous system, not just the blood.

Someone please correct me, but this is my understanding of the breathalyzer. I'm just an entertainer and part time chemist. Don't ask why I did all this research, just PLEASE if, god forbid, you ever get hit for DUI, demand breath, blood and urine. The three can vary wildly. Remember that alcohol particles stay in your mouth for 20-30 minutes after your last drink and can emerge from your stomach during a period of exercise, so breathalyzer results are not always the absolute truth. They are a good guide though. If you blow a .7, chances are pretty good you're drunk.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The sad part of this story is that this woman is an alcoholic.

There is no doubt.

The reality of the circumstance she is currently in though, is that she is going to prison.

Sad but true?

Her rock bottom??

Who knows.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:17 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Texasblind View Post
So, someone blowing a .7 would have approximately .19% of alcohol in their bloodstream.

Looking at Wikipedia BAC article:

Blood alcohol content - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

0.7*9.43 = 6.6 (mg per gram) or 0.66%

I got no clue what I am talking about Texasblind, so if this is correct it'd be just by accident.

Glad Tiburon survived and is here with us, 0.35 in hospital was probably already step down from what it was before.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:48 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2ndGen View Post
Looking at Wikipedia BAC article:

0.7*9.43 = 6.6 (mg per gram) or 0.66%

I got no clue what I am talking about Texasblind, so if this is correct it'd be just by accident.

Glad Tiburon survived and is here with us, 0.35 in hospital was probably already step down from what it was before.
I'm no mathemetician, so your calculations could be absolutely correct. The point is that a .7 does not mean 70% of your blood is alcohol. Think about that for a second...you'd be the equivalent of embalmed if that were truly the case. Your heart couldn't even pump that kind of mixture, it'd be wayyyy too thin. I doubt your heart could even pump 10%
Old 01-03-2010, 07:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Yes, BAC is expressed as a percentage (or unitless concentration) so the composition of fluid in her veins was 0.708% alcohol and 99.292% blood.

That's the highest I've heard of. I'm pretty sure no one can survive with even 1% alcohol in their bloodstream, that would be crazy.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

LimaCharlie....
Welcome to SR and to our Alcoholism Forum

Congratulations on your new sobriety...
Old 01-03-2010, 08:14 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2ndGen View Post
from Blood Alcohol Content | Cracked.com

1.0.914 is the world record for highest-ever recorded BAC that did not result in death. A 67 year-old Bulgarian man wandered into a hospital after being hit by a truck and they checked his BAC with multiple instruments, thinking that their equipment must be faulty.

2.The previous record was 0.80 held by a Lithuanian.
I read that cracked article too...doesnt surprise me though
Old 01-04-2010, 08:18 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Great responses, folks. Thanks Texas and everyone else. The Wikipedia entry does say that some guy in Poland had a BAC of 1.23 percent and survived. Even more thankful to be sober!

Old 01-04-2010, 08:39 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freeport View Post
Great responses, folks. Thanks Texas and everyone else. The Wikipedia entry does say that some guy in Poland had a BAC of 1.23 percent and survived. Even more thankful to be sober!

Kind of makes you feel "normal" eh? Holy cow.

Last edited by LimaCharlie; 01-04-2010 at 08:40 PM. Reason: typo