Notices

Did I quit?

Old 12-29-2009, 11:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm sorry you found SR was not beneficial Mike.

Members come
Members go
Blessings to all on their journey
Old 12-29-2009, 08:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Well Mike
I still don't understand, but it sounds to me like you quit.
Fred
Old 12-30-2009, 03:45 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I personally think that the God of your understanding was listening to you that night and took the desire to drink away from you. You kind of made a subconscious decision to quit but asked God for help.

I think that is an awesome experience to have. Good luck in your future.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:48 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you, your few lines are the first to disply what I was saying, why people didn't , not all show some level of compassion and understanding caused me a modest amount of distress, Michael.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:54 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

That is wonderful that you have had such an experience. I think I understand what your point is.
The BB addresses those who may not have had such an experience in the Appendices at the end of the book, titled: "II Spiritual Experience".

The first paragraph reads:
"The terms "spiritual experience" and "spiritual awakening" are used many times in this book which, upon careful reading, shows that the personality change sufficient to bring about recovery from alcoholism has manifested itself among us in many different forms".

It goes on to say that the first edition of the BB might have given many readers "the impression that these personality changes, or religious experiences, must be in the nature of sudden and spectular upheavals. Happily for everyone, this conclusion is erroneous".
This section goes on to explain that many don't have a dramatic, and instant psychic change, but experience a gradual transformation of the "educational variety".

I am relieved that there are two options, because though my mind is open to it, I haven't experienced anything dramatic that happened in the form of a single experience. I guess I am of the educational variety and my spiritual journey is more gradual.

Either way, I am grateful that spirituality has become a part of my life through recovery. I had no moral compass when I came into AA and absolutely no sense of spirituality in my daily life.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:19 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thank you, that was exactly my point, 'spiritual experience' or 'spiritual awakening' the end result is the same, I mean it doesn't mean I can walk on water, (I can if you show me where the stones are) and the only type of sobriety you achieve without it is of the 'white knuckle' variety so we're all in this together, thanks, Mike.