Notices

Not a very Merry Christmas

Old 12-26-2009, 10:50 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DarkestDays View Post
Thinking only of myself is one of the reasons I think I landed in this situation. As I mentioned prior, I'm an agnostic, and have been struggling with "why am I here?" and "what is this all about?". I'll probably never be able to determine why I am here, at this laptop, and typing this right now ... but clearly it's not about me. I'm hoping to get to the place where it's about what I've done to help others in some way.

I'm only one person but I am sure I can assist many others given the ability to get through this mess.

Yes, you're onto something here! This is how our struggles can turn into our greatest assets, because what we learn we can pass on to others ... and that, as you suspect, is what it is ALL about. It's a great thing that you're agnostic and wrestling with these questions, because in time you will be a huge help and support to those who follow who think/feel the same as you do. They will be able to "identify" which is one of the most powerful experiences for those in recovery. Thats why meetings and forums like this keep us sober :-)

And that's also why when I take the 6th step and pray that god remove EVERY defect of character that hinders my usefulness to god and others ... guess what? they don't all disappear!! And since that's not because my higher power can't do that, because when I formulated my concept of god I made sure he was pretty all powerful and all that ... I can only conclude that the defects of character I'm left with DON'T actually hinder my usefulness! On the contrary they probably enhance my usefulness as I share my experience, how I cope with them, what I've learnt, how I've grown, how I deal with life on a daily basis etc etc.

~honey~