Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Anxiety and panic attacks after quitting: will I ever get better?

Notices

Anxiety and panic attacks after quitting: will I ever get better?

Old 06-26-2011, 02:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

A very encouraging story djdonee. Well done on your sober time.

Although I have less of an success tail to recount, an good amount sober/clean time allowed me to get a proper prognoses that would relieve the uncontrollable mental devastating break down that caused me to totally flip out in long term sobriety.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for your update djdonee
congratulations on your progress!

D
Old 06-26-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

good to know you are improveing.....
Old 07-01-2011, 06:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. It has been one long journey and I don't know how I have survived this far but I have, and thank god i'm finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Mentally and physically I have been down to the depths of hell and would not wish this on anyone, even a worst enemy. Thank GOD for second chances. This experience has really made me appreciate life and has gave me even more of a desire to live sober.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 2 years!
Old 03-24-2015, 10:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AADavid View Post
I started to have a lot of problems with anxiety too. I quit drinking eight months ago, I hope I never touch the stuff again!

I have my anxiety under control now. This is what I am doing to maintain control over it. I take 10 mg of fluoxetine daily in the morning. This helps a lot with anxiety. I also have Propranolol for attacks and high stress situations like when I give a speech. I also have Gabapentin for anxiety attacks. This combo works great for me.

The fluoxetine (Prozac) takes about four to five weeks to start working but once it does, wow. It really helps.
I'm in need of medical attention for my anxiety. Do you still go by those pills you had recommended in that post from 5 years ago? Is there anything new?
Old 09-01-2016, 09:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Me exactly

Wow me exactly! 4 years now and panic attacks rarely happen. But I have defanetly changed. I'm not the same person! I'm sober, but don't like the person that I am now. I was very outgoing and confident. Had my own business for years. I'm now the complete opposite, withdrawn, always nervous. I have no life. I work a dead end job,**** pay and sleep every chance I get. Zero friends, only people I associate with because I have to. But physically I'm healthier. Woopty do!!!! I hope things turn out better for you!!!!
Old 11-21-2019, 10:40 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by djdonee View Post
Thanks everyone. It has been one long journey and I don't know how I have survived this far but I have, and thank god i'm finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Mentally and physically I have been down to the depths of hell and would not wish this on anyone, even a worst enemy. Thank GOD for second chances. This experience has really made me appreciate life and has gave me even more of a desire to live sober.
This post is very positive. I would love to hear from Djdonee if s/he is still about?

I have been going through old threads and reading about withdrawal, as I have had another panic attack today - after ten days' sobriety! I'm not as bad as I was, and today's attack was unpleasant but not totally debilitating. I just hope and pray this goes away soon.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:16 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi Donny, I just have an AA perspective on this. The program indicates that when we straighten out spiritually, we straighten out mentally and physically.

To straighten out spiritually we have a sponsor, work all twelve steps and develop the principles we learn into a way of life, we help others and we go to some meetings.

If you have done all this and been sober 5 months, then you have treated the spiritual malady as best you can and got booze out of the picture. If the problem persists regardless, it is time to seek professional help.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:28 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just to let everyone know the original post here is ten years old.

The topic can still interest folks, but a reply from the OP might not be forthcoming.

D
Old 11-24-2019, 12:44 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
sober style

Originally Posted by djdonee View Post
i love life and the people in it, its just this fear and anxiety. can anyone relate with this and give some hopefully positive feedback or experiences theyve had? or links? i am going to meetings and have a sponsor. thanks in advance Donny
Donny, I also had horrible anxiety. I drank in into semi-submission for years but then I got sober and it was out and about, really taking over and ruining my new sober life or trying anyway.

A book that made a huge difference for me in coping with this constant anxiety is by Dan Harris, the ABC news guy, it's called 10% Happier. He actually had a panic attack during a broadcast once and feared for his career, but he learned meditation and it saved his job and his mental health.

To call it meditation doesn't even do it justice, it's not some weird New Age thing, it's just learning how to sit still for a few minutes at a time while paying attention to your breath. It seems so simple but it changed his life, it changed my life, and it could be a huge help to you too I bet. Read the book and give it a try!

All the best to you, Donny. I know it's tough staying sober when you feel like your mind is rebelling against you but you're not ruined, nothing like that. You're capable of a lot more than you know.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:17 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser View Post
Donny, I also had horrible anxiety. I drank in into semi-submission for years but then I got sober and it was out and about, really taking over and ruining my new sober life or trying anyway.

A book that made a huge difference for me in coping with this constant anxiety is by Dan Harris, the ABC news guy, it's called 10% Happier. He actually had a panic attack during a broadcast once and feared for his career, but he learned meditation and it saved his job and his mental health.

To call it meditation doesn't even do it justice, it's not some weird New Age thing, it's just learning how to sit still for a few minutes at a time while paying attention to your breath. It seems so simple but it changed his life, it changed my life, and it could be a huge help to you too I bet. Read the book and give it a try!

All the best to you, Donny. I know it's tough staying sober when you feel like your mind is rebelling against you but you're not ruined, nothing like that. You're capable of a lot more than you know.
That sounds great, thanks!

SnazzyDresser, were you actually having panic attacks and not just generalised anxiety? I'm almost two weeks sober and currently agoraphobic. It's horrible, but I am confident it can be overcome.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:50 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
sober style

I have had panic attacks but that was actually years ago before my drinking got out of hand. In sobriety it was generalized anxiety. I got to where I was just avoiding a lot of situations that made me uncomfortable, rarely driving for instance, only getting groceries at odd hours to avoid too much social interaction etc. I was never agoraphobic but I did have some tendencies in that direction I'd say.