Notices

What Do I Tell My Boss When I leave for Rehab?

Old 12-20-2009, 06:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

How about 'Hold my calls?"

I waited for the thread to hit a lighter tone before posting that.
But I *had* to say it.

I'm sorry I've no advice,
I've never had a job
that was considered 'important'

well not true -
I tended bar for close to ten years...
but that's an altogether DIFFERENT type of 'important'.

Certainly never had anything remotely resembling
'benefits' or 'vacation' or 'paid time off' in any shape or form
those are just words in a dictionary to people like me.
And they only apply ... to other people.

I *can* wish you all the best
from a knowledgeable place
and congratulate you
on choosing to take the journey!
Old 12-23-2009, 05:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Realistically you boss probably knows what is going on anyhow. Although confidentiality is protected we leave lots of signs that many have picked up on in the work environment.

I came up with a BS story for my boss about my "blood pressure". He absolutely knew what was going on anyhow and was supportive. Looking back in retrospect I wish I had just told him the truth. My boss was happy I was getting help.

If I was a bad worker he would have fired me anyway.

If you doing a good job they will want you around nice and healthy.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hello Browns, very happy to hear your workplace has HR and FMLA available. Since you have a good feeling that your company will cover paid personal leave for up to six weeks, and your working relationship with your boss is positive, I've been rethinking how it was for me when I was a new to recovery...

I did not have the experience of rehab but I was performing poorly at work because at the end of my drinking days, I was missing days, phoning in sick or coming in late, being tired on the job... I was then a teacher and would catch up on lost sleep when nap time came around, so I'd siesta when the children napped, feeling groggy afterwards. My boss grew increasingly frustrated with me but loved me like her own daughter.

Around the second week of my sobriety, while having coffee with my colleagues, I had concern about a Christmas Eve party our boss invited us to attend at her home. Among the staff was an AA member, but for the most part these teachers were my best friends, and during a staff meeting when it came time to discuss whatever we wished, something came over me (higher power talking through me), and I told my colleagues that I had two weeks sobriety and was attending AA meetings daily.

I told my colleagues that I was sorry for having missed so much time on the job due to calling in sick or coming in late because of hangovers. To my amazement, everything changed in the workplace for me afterwards. It was also helpful letting my colleagues know about my commitment to sobriety because my boss then provided non-alcoholic beverages for her Christmas Eve dinner, and the company parties that followed were also considerate to have Martinelli's Sparkling Cider or mineral water as an option to wine and champaign.

There came a time when I moved from this great teaching job into a new field of publishing. I was new to NYC and the publishing industry where entertaining with alcohol is part of the package. I can't even begin to count how many times my new boss put me down for not drinking. He said it made me look like I wasn't a 'team player' and while most of my colleagues didn't mind, nearly everyone teased me for being a 'teetotaler' because I identified myself as a sober member of AA with three years sobriety. But I stuck to my guns, didn't drink, and those mandatory parties became less and less. Those who participated were promoted while I got left behind in the office with additional work to make up for what the party people were failing to complete. This is what I mean about using caution when disclosing information about sobriety because in some fields, honesty can be used against a person. In the end, that job wasn't meant for me, and through keeping true to my commitment to sobriety, an opportunity arose for me to work abroad in an International organization with humanitarian focus.

It's all individual. You know your employer best, so go with what's right for you.

Happy adventure. Sobriety is one miraculous ride.