Notices

Day 1 and Beyond

Old 12-16-2009, 05:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 and Beyond

Armed with Generic Xanax, orders from the Doc and Family I will begin detox. I am to call Doc if I feel serious side effects but I doubt I
will get a strong reaction to the withdrawal. I'm not going to take the Xanax unless I absolutely need it, I will unstead pop a B Complex and
a Benadryl. I just don't want to trade one evil for another if I can avoid it.

I tapered off for a little over a week but I could only get down to four and went back to six. Then, two nights ago I relapsed with 8 and had
another 8 last night. I was gonna finish the last two in the box when my wife heard the pop of the can and she flipped on me. She poured the
last two down the drain.

I feel pretty good though, no cravings too bad. I have had some moments of desire for a beer but I was able to think around this distraction
with a little effort. I will sit back with some Tea and then Seltzer, take a B and Benadryl before bed and hope I sleep lol.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hope all goes smoothly for you....
Old 12-16-2009, 11:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Nonexistent Willpower

HaHa

Damn Sudz, sounds like you got a pretty good alcohlic plan figured out there. I mean you got all the ammunition layed out ahead of time in preparation for the battle. I can relate...

But this is what really impresses me:
"I have had some moments of desire for a beer but I was able to think around this distraction with a little effort."

I don't know what to say bro. I was never able to do that. I'm anxiuos to see how you progress. If you ever have any questions related to Alcoholics Anonymous please feel free to PM me.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Way to go Sudz. Avoid stress and take it one day at a time. You will do fine.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody for the words of encouragement. Reading them just now helped me as I struggle with the get home and have a beer cravings. I'm not gonna do it though, no beer in the house and I'm just gonna tough it out.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you start thinking about it again, just tell yourself.
Beer just isn't an option.
For me the quicker I trained myself that I just can't have any, it seems like the cravings go away quicker.
Beer isn't an option.
Fred
Old 12-17-2009, 04:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Heere is what worked well for me
I think of this as the Action/Distraction plan

In early sobriety....
I timed my cravings.

They were 5-7 minutes in duration.
Not too long too endure discomfort
Soooo....I took action.
Walked...rushed my teeth... Drank cold water...Lifesavers

Within 2 weeks...the lessened in both time and intensity.
By 2 or so months .... they vanished.

Now...were they mental or physical?
Darn if I know. Nor do I care.....
Old 12-17-2009, 05:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

All great advice, Thanks again. I have made it past the worst time of day for me, it was always those I'm thirsty after work beers. I chugged a liter of Vintage Seltzer to stop the craving, the fizz satisfies that familiar feeling of beer going down and by the time the seltzer is gone I feel quenched and full.

Regarding withdrawal, I only have had some chest pain last night which prevented me from sleeping but that is gone now. People have told me that my strict morning diet may have spared me. Knowing all those years of daily use couldn't be good for me I took to eating Bananas, fat free yogurt, orange juice, a protein bar and multi vitamins every morning. I started this regimen about ten years ago and rarely missed a day.

I guess I would sum up that anyone reading this post considering trying to quit to get yourself on a nutrient rich diet for several weeks before pulling the plug to help ease out of alcohol's grasp.

Plus, try taking some Milk Thistle everyday to help keep the liver working clean.

I know that I am still a long, long way from recovery and there will be trials and hard times ahead. It still should be noted that I am one night from the longest period I have had without a drink in over ten years.

Thanks again for all your support and I look forward to staying sober and offering words of wisdom to newcomers.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When you next talk with your doctor ask about an eating
plan for hypoglycemia You can also Google for info.

I did that for about 6 months and consider it was
very beneficial early on. I still do a modified one
plus multi-viitamin and a potassium supplement.

I too am a yogurt ..fruit and juice breakfast person..
Old 12-17-2009, 05:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'll check that, Thanks Carol.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day 3 and past the get home cravings whoo! I am really starting to enjoy this seltzer lol. I have been dropping vitamin c candies in the glass and it adds a nice additional flavor. The hot Tea has been helping as well, I'm glad it's cold out. It made me realize at least for me that winter seems to be a good time to quit. Snuggle on the couch with a throw, a nice cup of hot tea and a good movie. What beer? Now, if it was 90 degrees out and I was sweating in my shorts and t shirt I would be craving a brew big time. Hopefully by the time that day comes the cravings will be long gone.

I have had little withdrawal symptoms yet, some people warn me I may still get a delayed reaction but for now I don't even have the chest pain I had the first night. Last night I took .25 mg of Xanax to help me sleep and I may do the same tonight. I am off Sunday so I may try to go without the Xanax to avoid dependency. Plus, .25 mg which is a half pill is a very little amount anyway but it did help some to calm me.

A question for all of you recovered out there. Did you notice a revival of the sense of smell and taste? I can't be certain but last week when I was tapering down I began to notice the smell of cooking onion more strongly. Now it seems like smells are really vibrant, good and bad lol. Like the Cats haha, all 6 of them as my Wife is a big time Animal lover and the litter boxes have come to life. The next time I have to stick my head over the box to clean them can someone spare a clothespin?
Old 12-18-2009, 03:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

day 4 sober

This has been the toughest detox for me its day 4 and im still a bit shakey with the hands..Hopefully tomorrows better, im glad i atleast have my appetite back. I had a craving earlier its a couple of my friends birthday, plus theres christmas parties. I wanna go but i know i would drink and have anxiety the next morning and wanna drink again all day, definetly not worth it and I just gotta keep that in mind..I think im the worst alcoholic as the come..I'll drink in the morning to get rid of the anxiety, go to work and about 4 hours later at lunch id stop a restaurant and have about 5 gin and tonics and when i get home I hit up the natural ices..Damn what a viscious cycle!! Im glad im quitting though and to be hear, im just gonna stick to it this time...i think this site helps a lot!!
Old 12-18-2009, 03:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Keep up the great work Done909! I have had my share of the Nattty Ice as well as the dreaded 211 Steel Reserve ouch ;/ I think the Steel Reserve is what gave me the brain fog lol.

Hang in there Bud.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Oh yeah the 22's of steel for 99 cents..i remember that! oh man that tasted so aweful but what alcoholic cares about taste? we just want the buzz and whatever money we can save doing it we will..thanks for the support sudz! I just need to find a hobby or something, or a job thats the tough part..
Old 12-18-2009, 04:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good job you guys!! You can do it!!
Old 12-18-2009, 05:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

No I don't think I noticed any difference in taste or smell.
But I must warn you to stay away from chocolate or icecream or chocolate icecream or ANYTHING like that. My local grocery store sells chocolate cake by the half. That first month there were a number of nights I told myself I would eat just a little piece, and ended up devouring the whole half cake.
That ain't no way to do a hypoglycemic diet. They say all that sugar makes your cravings worse, but Iduno. I was a 5 oclock beer drinker. In the evening after eating half of a chocolate cake the last thing I wanted was a beer!
I made it through that with no real weight gain. I'm still about 180 pounds, the same as before I quit, maybe a little less. I will be 9 months sober a week from monday, and now I am down to a cupcake an evening.
Hang in there and do this one day at a time. If you just stay sober NOW, the future doesn't matter.
Fred
Old 12-18-2009, 05:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

hang in there guys!
Old 12-18-2009, 06:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

donewithit909.....
Welcome to SR and our Alcoholism forum

Good to see a new member who is chooseing sobriety
Old 12-19-2009, 02:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hate that !
Standing at the beginning of a detox. Knowing what hell you will have to go through..
Pure horror.
Been 11 months since l had that and hope never to do it again.
Wish you well and hope it's your last time as well !
Old 12-19-2009, 03:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

My sense of smell and taste really came back strong after I quit drinking nearly 6 months ago. The cravings were pretty strong for the first couple of months, but after about 90 days, they were gone for good.

Keep it up guys! I was a "Hall of Fame" beer drinker for nearly 30 years. If I can quit, ANYBODY can