Notices

so,what has changed? (the lil stuff)

Old 12-16-2009, 11:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober member

so,what has changed? (the lil stuff)

you went and got sober,now what?
do you wake up looking forward to the day rather than waking up at 5am and dread spending hours at work when 'that' time could be spent online sipping beer,wine or spirits?

do you really enjoy the outdoors now?

do you really just tolerate and ignore the 'drinkers' behavior now that you are sober?

do you really look forward for the next day when going to sleep? really?
Old 12-16-2009, 05:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Now, life. Yes, yes, yes-and-no and yes.

How are you, Patrick? Can you answer those questions?

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 12-16-2009, 07:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi patrick....
Good to see you here again

I certainly hope this will be your
time for a healthy sober life...

I've found a fantastic new life
since I quit drinking.

Please check out my signature
Old 12-16-2009, 11:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I got sober and went from being able to say maybe 5 words in discussion meetings to people coming up to me after meetings and giving me compliments on what i said. Something i never thought would happen. I have more cell phone numbers from people in recovery that ive met in the last 9 months than numbers i had attained in the previous 23 years. People like me for who i am nowadays regardless of my past. And theres plenty more to come im sure
Old 12-16-2009, 11:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

AA and working the program has given me all the above and more...it's a miracle:-)
Old 12-17-2009, 01:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are suffering from some depression. Just stopping the booze won't necessarily help with a negative outlook on life. It's a good idea to investigate why you are having these defeatist thoughts and see what possible remedies exist.
Oh, and yes I really enjoy the outdoors now.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It isn't so much that my life changes when I'm sober, but my attitude that changes. And having recently slipped and gotten right back on the wagon I can only say that sober is better. Living sober gives me back my self respect, and the respect of my kids. That's worth a lot to me.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

you went and got sober,now what?
After detox, I made efforts to stay sober. Changed routines of both my daily activities and ways of thinking that sparked the desire to drink OR made sobriety unbearable.

do you wake up looking forward to the day rather than waking up at 5am and dread spending hours at work when 'that' time could be spent online sipping beer,wine or spirits?
Not all days for sure! I find that if I can get involved in something that is interesting or something that I find satisfaction in doing then YES... it makes getting out of a warm bed on a cold day much easier.

do you really enjoy the outdoors now?
Absolutely. When I drank I wanted to stay inside and hide. When I was hungover I dreaded having to do anything outdoors even though the weather was beautiful out. I find biking in the summer to be my favorite thing to do and the only way I can meditate.

do you really just tolerate and ignore the 'drinkers' behavior now that you are sober?
Sometimes when my parents are wasted it is difficult to tolerate and ignore. I do not want to join them, I feel bad for them. I'm finding others drinking activity less and less noticible lately. There was a time when I was newly sober that I could tell what each person was drinking and how many drinks they had... days after the actual party.

do you really look forward for the next day when going to sleep? really?
Sometimes, like I said above, when I have interesting projects going on yes. Yet even the jobs that I find to be a grind (repetetive and boring) are something I am eager to do simply because i want them to be DONE.

Sometimes I do dread the next day when I am not balancing out my HALT.

Overall... sobriety is not free. It is a lot of work for a lot of months that goes beyond drinking diet sodas instead of booze. Theres just no BS about it... if I dont manage the things that keep me sober then I will eventually stop being sober.

How are you doing?
Old 12-17-2009, 05:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

well.. let's see.. i'm Alive and i'm Sober.. i'm not Hung Over.. i have a fairly clear head after a decent nights sleep.. and Now i am Going to My A.A. Home Group! Life is Great!