Old 12-16-2009, 08:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Originally Posted by Sugah View Post
Here's another. That first publication number appears to be inaccurate:

Social Security Bulletin, Vol. 59, No. 2. Summer 1996

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Thanks Sugah, I read that policy and it seems quite reasonable. I liked this part especially:

Individuals with a drug addiction or alcoholism condition who are disabled for purposes of receiving Social Security or SSI disability benefits based on other impairments will still be able to qualify for benefits based on that disability. However, in these cases the new law requires that benefits be paid to a representative payee if the Commissioner of Social Security determines that the individual is incapable of managing benefits. These beneficiaries will also be referred to the appropriate State agency for substance abuse treatment. These provisions apply to applications filed on or after June 1996.
l
Under the Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment Block Grant of the Public Health Service Act, an appro- priation of $50 million for each of fiscal years 1997 and 1998 is added, on a priority basis, for activities relating to the treatment of drug and alcohol abuse.

I can't argue that the government should'nt be in the business of funding our addictions, disease or not.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Gotta give Tib credit for starting threads
with eye catching titles....

He always gets attention that's for sure.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:56 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My Humble $0.02

There are at least three perspectives being considered...

Disease in terms of qualifying for disability... hmm, don't have experience with that. Looks like in the quote Tyler provided, it is considered a condition. Whatever, it appears to me that they are saying that Alcoholism will not disqualify a person who has other impairments. Additionally it seems to allow for someone else to administer those benefits in the event the person cannot be reliable himself AND some verbiage to allow for treatment... It does NOT state that the condition itself qualifies one for disability.

Disease in terms of Medical Treatment. It seems to me that there needs to be some classification of this condition to allow for research, diagnosis, treatment and 3rd party (insurance) payment for treatment. The medical establishment uses the word "disease" for this purpose... heck, there is a diagnosis code for pregnancy... for this very reason... I don't get too entangled in this as we should realize that this is the nomenclature that health care providers and payors use... so what?, IMHO...

Disease as WE see ourselves. To each his own here... Some see the word "disease" as a stigma, others see it as an excuse and still others see it like an allergy. Some of us are offended ie, I'm not diseased or defective, others feel relief, ie we were born with it.... Some of us are "recovering", some are "recovered" and still others are, well, still drinking. I respect each individual's decision to call it what they will... It is important to them, not to me. I have a nervous system that will become obsessed with alcohol and I will compulsively drink it if I do not work my program and if I drink any alcohol at all. For me, I guess it's a condition. Oh, and BTW... I'm recovered

Tib's other impairments do not qualify him for disability. I didn't see anything in the language to suggest that alcoholism is a qualifying condition in and of itself. So maybe this can serve as a moment of clarity for our friend Tib and may give him the gift of willingness.

Tib... are you ready now?

Mark
Old 12-16-2009, 09:16 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tiburon88 View Post
Now before u guys get angry
Not sure why I-or anyone else here for that matter-should get angry about the fact that you seem utterly determined to completely f**k up your life.

Happy Holidays.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:36 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

In my humble opinion, alcoholism is not disease but its more than a mere choice. In the early days, yes, it was choice but something has changed within me where I find it very difficult, impossible, to control my drinking once I start.
Also in the times when not drinking I had to re learn who to deal with life's problems without the mask of alcohol. My alcoholism has got so severe and appears irreversible, that long term abstinence is the best opton.
Alcoholism similar and even more so like depression will always be continuous issues with regards benefit claims. Its easy to fake or exaggerate both.
No doubt though both these afflictions at their worse are hell on earth
Old 12-16-2009, 09:52 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Ago

Anybody wanna tell Tib how to get disability?
Get hit by a bus?

I thought this was the alcoholism forum, where we discussed alcoholism and how we recovered from it, not how to get money from the government to continue drinking.

OK tib, get a job, then slip and fall down, wrenching your knee, then file for disability, other then that I don't know what to tell you about how to get disability, good luck though
Old 12-16-2009, 10:10 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Tib, hope you figure it out. Best of luck working the
system, nothing wrong with that if it's there. The disease model for addiction has
innumerable strengths in terms of treatment outcomes. The extent of government payouts helping or hurting individuals is for the individual to decide. To me it seems counter productive to argue the title of this thread based on ideological beliefs. Look a the outcomes for various treatment methods figure out what makes sense to you and go for it. From an economic perspective social welfare provides a real net economic and social benefit as economic cycles are real and not every one has rich parents, a nest egg or employed spouse. Further alcohol and mental illness are strongly correlated, get rid of the booz and you've still got some work to do. People do need help even though in my opinion the best help is helping people learn to help themselves. A clockwork SR can also do wonders for the right person. Just my 2 cents. I love constructive debate that I learn from and that helps clarify m own core beliefs.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:32 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Tib, I live with deteriorating discs and arthritis, when I was using I tried to collect disability insurance because it was very difficult for me to do anything due to the pain. I was denied the disability at first and was told to fight it by certain people. Instead of fighting for the disability I got sober and found a job. I still live with the same pain, probably worse than it was, but today I am sober and responsible, I am so glad I never did go on disability.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:43 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Now before u guys get angry I have proof that the U.S. government & medical community do not accept it as a disease. I was denied disability (third time) because they blame my alcoholism as the primary disorder although they accept I have severe mental illness as well. Up until the early 90's one could collect disability for alcohol/drug addiction. Now it is simply regarded as a "bad habit". Maybe the government is correct? I just don't know anymore. I have had one of the best disability lawyers in the city only to get denied once again. These lawyers only take cases they think they can win because they only get paid if you win. I am beginning to agree that alcoholism is nothing more than a selfish bad habit. At least AA has that point correct.

tiburon
That is just in terms of SSI law. One can debate those policy decisions all one wants but it seems like it is just like the government joining al-anon right?

However, according to the American with Disabilities Act:
Americans with Disabilities Act Questions and Answers

Q. Are alcoholics covered by the ADA?

A. Yes. While a current illegal user of drugs is not protected by the ADA if an employer acts on the basis of such use, a person who currently uses alcohol is not automatically denied protection. An alcoholic is a person with a disability and is protected by the ADA if s/he is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job. An employer may be required to provide an accommodation to an alcoholic. However, an employer can discipline, discharge or deny employment to an alcoholic whose use of alcohol adversely affects job performance or conduct. An employer also may prohibit the use of alcohol in the workplace and can require that employees not be under the influence of alcohol.

Also, it is extremely clear that both the NIAAA and NIDA, two governmental agencies dedicated to substance abuse view alcoholism as a medical disease. Their research is dedicated to evidenced-based treatment methods and the science behind addiction.

Welcome to NIAAA
National Institute on Drug Abuse - The Science of Drug Abuse and Addiction
Old 12-16-2009, 10:56 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

although they accept I have severe mental illness as well.
Which are you trying to get disability for? Alcoholism or mental illness? Either way, perhaps getting some retraining to a job you can do is a better way to go. I have a problem with my hip joints, some days and can go rock climbing and sometimes I can barely walk for days at a time. My condition has a name and shows up on xrays but since I have times when I am not in pain they think I should be able to work. I am working on getting funding to train in a job that I can do whether or not I am able to walk.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:26 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
seeking recovery

At my PRESENT level of understanding I see alcoholism as a neurobiological disorder -altered neural pathways, glucose/brain chemistry.
Triggers are unique to individual and need to be identified /adressed.
Treatment is free and simple-dont pick up first drink,journey out of alcoholism is a learning experience and ironically for something which has such a seemingly simple "treatment" a most difficult undertaking!
Old 12-16-2009, 03:02 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by least View Post
I must disagree with the last two words of your post. Disability is NOT a "handout". If you are found to be disabled your checks are based on your work record and the amount of your payments into the Social Security system. It is NOT welfare.

I need to clarify my statement. I was not saying Tib is or isn't disabled. I was only saying that disability is not a "government handout". Just sayin'...
Old 12-16-2009, 03:11 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fragrantrose View Post
At my PRESENT level of understanding I see alcoholism as a neurobiological disorder -altered neural pathways, glucose/brain chemistry.
Triggers are unique to individual and need to be identified /adressed.
Treatment is free and simple-dont pick up first drink,journey out of alcoholism is a learning experience and ironically for something which has such a seemingly simple "treatment" a most difficult undertaking!
Well, I agree with most of what you said though my experience differs in one respect. If it were as simple as "not taking the first" drink, none of us would be here. We would decide to quit and that would be it. That same neural dysregulation results in compulsive use in spite of negative consequences, even without a chemical trigger. So, for me, treatment had to involve treating my underlying mental illness called addiction.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:16 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Gotta give Tib credit for starting threads
with eye catching titles....

He always gets attention that's for sure.
Thanks Carol. No SSDI is not exactly a government handout. It is based on your work history and how many credits you have. Quantum, with all due respect, you don't have a clue as to what your talking about. If I do eventually win I will get back pay from the date I filed. I estimate after lawyer fees it will be around 10,000. I will get a co-signer because I cannot mange $100 dollars much less 10,000. I sure could be a big shot at the bar for a while though. The lawyers believe my mental illness is serious enough so they continue to fight for me. I worked for many years and paid into the system. Are you a doctor Quantum or do you just play one on message boards?

good old tib
Old 12-16-2009, 05:27 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Ago

The lawyers believe my mental illness is serious enough so they continue to fight for me.
and of course if they win, they get paid, these are the same creatures that sue for sizzled yarbles from McDonalds Coffee yes?

I don't think they are actually working hard enough Tib, maybe you can check their level of commitment by asking them to take your case Pro Bono, see what they say

Good Luck Tib, and I mean that in all seriousness
Old 12-16-2009, 05:57 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

They only get paid if I win. Haven't you ever seen the commercials on television during the day time. I work part time for cash painting apartments but my mental disorder and my intoxication usually gets in the way. My boss keeps giving me chance after chance. My co-workers don't like me because they think the boss favors me. I get over 200 bucks a month in food stamps a month and no you can't buy booze with it. I'm also in the process of suing the city because a certain police department beat the crap out of me. I suffered 4 cracked ribs and bruising so bad I couldn't see out of one eye. I have a different lawyer for this case. I gave up on many bills a long time ago & I simply throw them out. Bankruptcy is looking like my only hope.

tiburon
Old 12-16-2009, 06:21 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Now before u guys get angry I have proof that the U.S. government & medical community do not accept it as a disease. I was denied disability (third time) because they blame my alcoholism as the primary disorder although they accept I have severe mental illness as well. Up until the early 90's one could collect disability for alcohol/drug addiction. Now it is simply regarded as a "bad habit". Maybe the government is correct? I just don't know anymore. I have had one of the best disability lawyers in the city only to get denied once again. These lawyers only take cases they think they can win because they only get paid if you win. I am beginning to agree that alcoholism is nothing more than a selfish bad habit. At least AA has that point correct.

tiburon
Who cares if it is a disease or not. You have it.

Giving some one disability simply because they are alcoholics or addicts is something I've never believed in. Maybe a little GAU funding for treatment or what have you, but I think cutting off full disability is a good thing. Maybe you'll take responsibility for your own recovery.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:38 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Good old Jim. You are not recognizing the mental illness part of the equation. Don't you realize that I am not a "garden variety drunk?" I am being serious when I say this. That's just the thing many of you folks just don't get it. Why do I stick around some may ask? It is to educate the ignorant.

tiburon
Old 12-16-2009, 07:14 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Sorry tib, I thought you had me on ignore. But you are right, leaving out the mental illness is my bad.

By all means seek whatever help you need for your mental illness. But don't forget about the alcoholism. Can't treat one and ignore the other. One will get you back to the other if you don't them both concurrently.

But that still means that you have to take responsibility and participate in your own recovery.

I wish you the best, and I mean that.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:07 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Well Tib If you talked to a lawyer, you done about all you can do. Except go to work.
I was a painter for about 5 years in my younger days. Being alcoholic was a prerequisite. Most of started drinking at noon. some had beer for breakfast. All of us got stoned.
I still know most all of those guys but 1. He died of a drug overdose. The rest are still painting and drinking, although I think they have all slowed down a bit.
One fell off a ladder and came down with his foot hitting a ladder rung. They wanted to amputate it. (I think they call it paratroopers foot). He was under, but his wife said no. He still has his foot and walks in pain. He also still works when he can find it. He also still starts drinking beer at lunch.
I think there is A HUGE problem with disability. I work VERY hard for my money. I think it is a good thing as long as the money goes to people who need it.

The problem is there are way too many people who work the system, and my taxes keep on going up and up. I am getting more tired everyday of my tax money going to people that are to damn lazy to "work".
I don't know you except what I see on this forum. You like to go to AA meetings for "free coffee". I will take a wild guess that you would like to watch TV all day, and collect "free money"
Just my opinion. It's free
Fred