Notices

The morning after no alcohol

Old 12-13-2009, 03:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The morning after no alcohol

Well, I did it last night. I always find the first day the hardest and I wasn't sure if I could do it but I did...and woke up feeling great!!

I've been weening myself off alcohol all week and last night was the first night that I didn't have a drop. I slept right through the night, feel awake and alert and wasn't gagging for water. I've started my day with a fresh fruit juice and made home made soup for the first time in ages (I used to always make nutritious yummy soups). I've loaded the dishwasher and cleaned the kitchen and now going to have lovely shower...I'm productive again!

When I feel tempted I'll go back to this post to remind myself why 'just one drink...' isn't worth it.

I hope I'll get through this Christmas when everyone else is drinking...but I'll deal with each day as they come
Old 12-13-2009, 03:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Nonexistent Willpower

Well I'm glad to hear your progress. I hope you make it on your own. I've yet to meet a "real" alcoholic that was able to keep him/her-self sober. But you may be just a "moderate" or "hard" drinker. In that case you can just "willpower" through it.

But people who don't have some sort of drinking problem don't wonder if they do.
They don't "hope" they can stay sober. They just do.

It's a self disagnosis disease:
Here are some things that helped me decide:
1. If you find yourself restless, irritable, and discontent when not drinking you might seek out help.

2. Here's the best definition I know straight out of the book:
"(a)If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or (b) if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic."

So it's (a) and/or (b)

If (a or b) be the case
Here's the good news:
",you may be suffering from an illness which only a spiritual experience will conquer."

The whole "spiritual experience" term scared me away for a bit. But the alcohol scared me right back.

It's OK with me being alcoholic. There are millions of us. In fact it's the most beneficial thing I ever learned. I had no clue I was alcoholic, or what was really wrong with me prior.

Today I know you cannot solve a problem you cannot define.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you’re doing well,

This is only day 8 for me and sleeping was my biggest issue, I was up for days with only 2 hours sleep the first few nights, I found Melatonin works pretty good and have been sleeping pretty good but I was up at 5 am on this Sunday morning but that’s ok, if I could get rid of these dark circles under my eyes and the crazy fatigue I think I’d feel near 100%.

I guess I could do some cleaning too, but for now I am reading through some of my older posts and remembering how bad off I am and that slip ups are common for me so I must stay on guard. So just as you I have my own posts to read for support and this great forum.

Thanks and Good morning! Yes it is!

EDIT: My older post are not my only support in place, just mentioning that I could read about me to remember how I was.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stereosteveo View Post
I hope you make it on your own. I've yet to meet a "real" alcoholic that was able to keep him/her-self sober. But you may be just a "moderate" or "hard" drinker. In that case you can just "willpower" through it..
At this time I am not concerning myself with whether I am a "real", "moderate" or "hard" drinker, I am concerned by the fact that my drinking over the years has ruined my job and education and yet I still couldn't stop drinking. That is why last night was a big moment for me...on estimate I have only had about 5 days like this during the past year. I've known that these days are great yet I haven't been able to maintain them due to the lure of alcohol.

For the first time ever I am "hoping" that I may be seeing more of these days as I have not done it before...it is new territory for me and I don't quite know how things are progess or not.

Regardless of what sort of drinker I am...I don't want to be it anymore.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SomethingBetter View Post
Glad you’re doing well,

for now I am reading through some of my older posts and remembering how bad off I am and that slip ups are common for me so I must stay on guard. So just as you I have my own posts to read for support and this great forum.

Thanks and Good morning! Yes it is!

EDIT: My older post are not my only support in place, just mentioning that I could read about me to remember how I was.
Thank you

I have a history of slip ups...hence being only on my second day...I haven't made it for 8 since before alcohol became a problem years ago. I hope you are very proud of yourself! And that reading through your old posts keep you going and give you support.

x
Old 12-13-2009, 07:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Those first 2 weeks are tough. I remembered the things that made me fail in the past, and tried to avoid those situations the best I could.
For me one of the toughest is the craving that hit me out of the blue. It usually came at about 2 weeks. I would be doing great and then BAM, along comes a craving that I would break the glass for a beer(or 12).
My solution was around the second weekend and after work,around that time,was to just sit and watch TV and do nothing. No stress No hard work where I felt the need for reward. Just a couch tatter. (they probably do something similar in rehab).
Everyone is different I guess. But I think knowing the things that trigger the problem and having a way around them, can go a long way getting through those first few weeks.
I hope you succeed, because it really is worth it.My life is so much better without a monkey on my back.
I wish you the best.
Fred
Old 12-13-2009, 07:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nevertheless,

thank you for your reply. I don't really know what my trigger is...it can be anything, bordom, hyperactivity, an arguement, physical pain...and in all those situations I say to myself "you deserve a drink, it will only be one" or simply "sod it, I want a drink". Maybe as time goes on I'll become better able to combat those thoughts...so far I've no luck.

At the moment my only tool is to focus on how good it is to have not drunk and remind myself of how awful last week was because of my daily maintainance drinking. I don't know quite how I'll cope when that craving comes round...but I guess it's a process to figuring it out as I go along.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Those cravings do go away (though I never believed it for a LONG time). For me it was like a cloak that descended over me. I would be SO positive that I would not drink again, then the claok came down and all desire to stay sober vanished.

When I quit cigarettes, I heard a little phrase that helped"

"The desire to use will go away whether or not we light up"

I've found that applicable to any addiction. I could feel like I would die without another drink, hit, cig, etc. and would do anything to get one. It took some time to learn that those cravings were internal and disappeared eventually.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good for you BlurredSpeech.....

Perhaps you can find something useful to you
in my expereinces with cravings
I think there are 2 types of cravings
perhaps a mixture?

One type is more a habit than physical.

You drive home and your car steers into your
favorite bar or package store.
You come home tired...sit in "your: chair and
want the usual comfort of a glass/can in hand.
To sleeep better...toss down a drink.

These can be avoided by changeing your routine

Drive a different route
Change the furniture around..sit in a different place.
Fix a glass of anything non alcoholic.

If you drink booze from a can...use a glass
If you did drink from a glass...use a mug

I did time my cravings in early sobriety.
Mine were 5 to 7 minutes in duration.
seemed forever...but that was false.

I took action....drank cold watter ...brushed my teeth
went for a walk...danced around the room...ate Lifesavers

I was also taking a multi vitamin and a B 12,
I was following an eating plan for hypoglycemia
I attended AA daily

Within 2 weeks they lessened immensley... in both
intensity and duration By 2 months they vanished

Old 12-13-2009, 10:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The mention of quitting cigarettes helps. I no longer crave them but I did when I first quit...and yes the cravings did pass after a few minutes.

I've been having increasingly more frequent cravings today but am compensating with food which is better than alcohol in my opinion. Also, I won't be craving once I'm asleep and tomorrow is a new day.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you woke up feeling great, BP! I'm on day 29, and I still am in awe every morning about how good I feel. I don't think I realized how badly I felt because I forgot what normal was. I'm still not used to just feeling normal. Keep up the good work!!
Old 12-13-2009, 03:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

the morning after no alcohol is the only thing i like about trying to quit
Old 12-14-2009, 01:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah, feeling normal the morning after. I'm not used to it either. Today is my second day feeling fine in the morning...actually feel like I've properly woken up. I'm so used to the familiar feeling of waking up but not ever really waking up...stumbling around the flat unable to do anything.

This morning is my reward for resisiting my cravings last night. I wasn't sure I could do it and my mind kept flicking to the thought of a drink.

Strangely, over the past two days since quitting my partner has inreased his intake of alcohol...as though he feels he can drink more because i'm not downing it all. It kind of helps becasue in a way I feel stronger than him for resisiting.

Another positive thing is not having all those extra calories...I hope to lose some weight simply from cutting out alcohol...which will be a huge motivating factor also.

Today I travel to stay with my family over christmas...this will be a big test and I'm sure I'll be using this forum to stay focussed on my goals and the reasons why I don't want alcohol to dominate my life anymore.

Thank you all for your support..it's making a huge difference. Without it I think I would have cracked last night.

x
Old 12-14-2009, 05:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by burstpeach View Post
Another positive thing is not having all those extra calories...I hope to lose some weight simply from cutting out alcohol...which will be a huge motivating factor also.
Just thought I'd let you know that as of this morning I've lost almost 20 pounds since I stopped drinking in October. That right there helps me to keep motiviated.

Wishing you all the best!!!
Old 12-14-2009, 02:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

I once heard of a quote by Frank Sinatra related to this. Not sure if it's entirely true though - I've heard he said something to the effect that he feels sorry for those who don't drink because waking up in the morning is the best they will feel all day.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Good luck dont give up and keep on posting!
Old 12-14-2009, 05:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Just......
That line has been attrbuted to many people...
who obviously.....have no clue

about the joy of recovery.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you for your posts.

4ever, losing 20 pounds is amazing!! If I lose weight that quickly it will certainly help with keeping me motivated!!

I thought I would be tempted to drink last night but I wasn't. It was only when eating dinner that I realised that I hadn't thought of alcohol since the morning. In the morning I was close to a panic attack and considered drink but I'm proud to say that I quickly thought of how disappointed I would be in myself if I did...and that stopped me.

This morning was an even better morning. I slept better than I have in years. I'm still having tonnes of dreams but not too many to wake me up. I'm starting to feel so much better Yey!!!
Old 12-15-2009, 04:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congrats on sticking with it.
If you aren't taking Vitamin B you should be. Alcohol depletes vit B.
When I first quit and was having weird dreams I took vit b-6 on top of a B complex and they went away. Give it a try, it works.
Fred
Old 12-15-2009, 04:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm so happy that you stuck with it!!!