Notices

Some questions to recovering alcoholics...

Old 12-13-2009, 09:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by bugsworth View Post
I am as equally "gung ho" about recovery Dog. Slayer as I see it, asked for the experience of recovering alcoholics. Had Boleo stated that HE never enjoyed the same old thrills again and that the only thing that gave HIM a sense of purpose was working with other alcoholics I would have not taken exception. However he gave Slayer a very, IMO, grave diagnosis. My experience was not like Boleos and I wanted and still do want Slayer to know that early sobriety is difficult and with time and patience things do get better.
i am a Recovering Alcoholic.. i will be sober 3 Years Next Month.. i have been Given my Life Back.. I can Do Anything I Want (as long as i Don't Drink or Drug!)
Old 12-13-2009, 09:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Age is a state of mind, if you ask me. I have a blast in sobriety. I can go to parties and rock concerts and go on cruises and hang out with people who drink and do drugs. I don't like the drama of hanging out with people who get wasted or break the law blatantly anymore... but I can understand them.
RIGHT ON!! That, sir, is a message of Experience, Strength and HOPE.

You are right on the age thing... Thanx for you redirecting that. Goin out for the tree today, in the rain!.

Mark
Old 12-13-2009, 12:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Well Slayer, I went to my first AA meeting when I was about 25 and it was a horrible, awful meeting. What a wreck. The room was blue with smoke. I didn't go back into the rooms until 35 years later. Yeppers, I was a slow burning alkie for a long time.

I went to a YPAA meeting two weeks ago and it was on fire. Whooohooo! Man if I had gone to a meeting like that 35 years ago, I would have come back.
I have to tell you a little joke here: this guy was a speaker at a convention this weekend and he thought YPAA was some kind of Finnish thing. EEEyyyyPaaaa!
Ha!
Hit the meetings, kiddo, they are more fun than you might think. Meetings are saving my life. I am new to sobriety and waiting until that 7 o'clock is sometime the only thing that keeps me alive.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:17 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Nonexistent Willpower

p. 102:

...Your job now is to be at the place where you may be of maximum helpfulness to others, so never hesitate to go anywhere if you can be helpful. You should not hesitate to visit the most sordid spot on earth on such an errand. Keep on the firing line of life with these motives and God will keep you unharmed. Many of us keep liquor in our homes. We often need it to carry green recruits through a severe hangover Some of us still serve it to our friends..."
Old 12-13-2009, 03:36 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Slayer. Another advantage of enquiring into a detox ward is that doctors may be able to prescribe vitamins to replenish deficiencies caused by the drink. I wouldn't want to promise that though. I was a binge drinker and always dried myself out on my own.

Yes your imagination will be fired. You may want to return to some pastimes from before you were 18 and you may develop new ones. Our 'Big Book' promises 'Your imagination will be fired!'

Set small goals though. Appreciate the simple relief of living a day without a drink. Then try it again ...
Old 12-13-2009, 05:35 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

You haven't failed at anything yet,
you've only learned that you can't quit on your own.
The only time we fail
is when we refuse to learn.

Definite be talkin to a doc. You will be amazed at the help you'll probably get.

The same old thrills aren't so thrilling when sober because they're as shallow and meaningless as they truly *are* wehn we're sober.

Life 'seems' boring and uneventful sober,
because when we're drinking and using-
that is what our life is focused in/on/through/around.

Sorry to inform anyone of something they don't want to hear
but that
is not 'life'.
That -
is 'existance'.
Plants.... exist.
We're human.
We have a choice to LIVE.

There's so much else in this world
to focus a young life around
than alcohol.

I hope you'll choose to find out what some of those things are.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
Welcome to "ism" of alcohol-ism. It will probably take you some time to figure it out but you will never enjoy the same old thrills again. About the only thing that will give you a sense of purpose now is helping others like yourself recover.

If you don't believe it, try doing some 12th step work and see how it affects your equanimity?
I find that incredibly depressing. My old thrills though were just playing guitar and playing in bands etc. I have became too inebriated most of the time to even play/practice. I used to sit down with my guitar and 2 hours would pass like nothing because I just loved playing. That is what I miss.

I can't seem to find that one thing that I love more than alcohol anymore. Nothing can really compare.

If the only thing I have to look forward to in sobriety is helping others I pretty much would rather just continue getting wasted. I don't really have a bad attitude its just if that is the diagnoses **** it. I am aware I won't get the thrill of chugging a beer and breaking coffee tables anymore, but I just want to be able to enjoy things in life. When I quit drinking I can't enjoy the basic things that I once did. I hope that makes sense.