Notices

Nutrition after detoxing

Old 12-11-2009, 09:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nutrition after detoxing

I hope this is the right place to post this message...

I was wondering if anyone has any nutritional advise. Firstly, what sort of damage have I done to my body and what food/drink/nutrients should I be taking to help build up my health again?

Thank you
Old 12-11-2009, 10:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Being quite into health and fitness (will be starting a blog soon), I am quite passionate about nutrition and think it can be the single biggest factor in maintaining sobriety and your over emotional well-being. For instance, many alcoholics are hypoglycemic. Hypoglycemic can lead to many symptoms such as depression, lethargy, anxiety/nervousness, sweating, intense hunger, weakness, palpitations, etc. Of course you will need to see a doctor to determine if you are hypoglycemic and any advice I give should be consulting with a doctor first.

However, I best found that implementing a Intermittent Fasting way of life which is determining an eating window and fasting window. For Instance, I eat for 8 hours and fast for 16 hours. This goes against almost everything that hypoglycemics and people looking to maintain healthy blood sugar should do. However, after a lot of research (PM me for links) and personal experience, this not only has improved my life SIGNIFICANTLY, but also has helped lower my weight (starting to see my abs for first time ever), stabalize my blood sugar, and provide me with more energy and emotional well being throughout my day. Also, this form of eating is more satisfying then eating a bunch of small meals throughout the day that never have left me satisfied. Adjusting to only eating 8 hours a day takes a few days for your body to adjust.

Intermittent Fasting goes hand and hand with the Warrior Diet. Here are the basic guidelines:

"Its premise: eat one main meal at night, avoid chemicals, combine foods adequately and challenge your body physically. The Warrior Diet shows how to nourish the body in sync with its innate circadian clock – separating between a.m. foods and p.m. foods for effective removal of toxins, increased conversion of fat for energy, increased utilization of nutrients and improved resilience to stress. The result: a leaner, stronger and healthier body.

The Evidence is Undeniable
Recent studies on intermittent fasting have shown the benefits of following eating programs similar to The Warrior Diet. Mice and rats maintained on an intermittent fasting regimen lived up to 30% longer than those fed ad libitum. Especially striking are the improved insulin sensitivity and cardiovascular risk profiles in animals maintained on diets with long inter-meal intervals."
Old 12-11-2009, 11:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for your reply and taking the time to explain your thoughts/theory. Unfortunately due to a digestive disorder that pretty much dominates my life, I have found that little and often works best for me so I eat about 6 to 8 times a day. I also believe the theory that this way of eating maintains a faster metabolism. I am of course no nutritional expert and mainly follow this eating method due to my digestive system and much experimentation. Of course, every body is different and so different diets suite different bodies.

Do you, or anyone else, have information/advise about what parts of my body I may have damaged and what nutirents I may have significantly depleated and therefore what nutrients or food I should perhaps make more of an effort to eat.

Thanks
Old 12-11-2009, 11:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi there....and welcome.

There is a book which has a sticky at the top of this page "Under the Influence", which
has dietary and nutrional information.

Another book which helped me was "Seven Weeks to Sobriety". This helped me with supplements my body needed.

Once detoxed and sober, I attend AA meetings to keep me spiritually fit, and sober.

Peace.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

After consulting with my doctor...I did folllow the eating plan
in "Under The Influence" for about 6 months.
I also took a multi-vitamin and a B 12 Complex.

Many drinkers suffer from hypoglycemia....have your doctor
check for it. You can also Google

Please beware of information that is pointed in the
direction of selling you specific products
that promise to quickly reverse alcoholism.

And because of this....you definitely need professional advice

Do you, or anyone else, have information/advise about what parts of my body I may have damaged and what nutirents I may have significantly depleated and therefore what nutrients or food I should perhaps make more of an effort to eat.
It takes time to heal from drinking....
Good to see you here with us.....Welcome!
Old 12-11-2009, 12:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by burstpeach View Post
Thank you for your reply and taking the time to explain your thoughts/theory. Unfortunately due to a digestive disorder that pretty much dominates my life, I have found that little and often works best for me so I eat about 6 to 8 times a day. I also believe the theory that this way of eating maintains a faster metabolism. I am of course no nutritional expert and mainly follow this eating method due to my digestive system and much experimentation. Of course, every body is different and so different diets suite different bodies.

Thanks

It is believed by many that eating more frequently smaller meals leads to a faster metabolism. However, there have been studies done on eating smaller, more frequent meals vs. bigger less frequent meals which show no difference between the two at the end of the day. The main thing was calories in vs. calories out. However with your digestive issue, sticking to the smaller more frequent meals would probably be recommended.

You are most likely deficient in many important vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. You are most likely deficient in B-Vitamins (such as Thiamin), Magnesium, Zinc, and other vitamins/minerals. Your neurotransmitters are probably imbalanced also based on deficient/non existant amino acids. To determine what you are deficient in, you would need to consult with a doctor and they would probably know how to best remedy this situation.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awakening...

I'm following a hypoglycemic diet also, and just the feeling of overall wellness is indescribable. I'll take feeling healthy over booze any day of the week!

I eat frequently, like every two hours. I snack on cashews, carrots, deli turkey on Triscuits, fresh fruit. I buy sugar free or low sugar jams and have a light lunch of a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich on cracked wheat bread, with a banana. If I need a chocolate fix, and who doesn't , I eat dark chocolate, which has less sugar.

Getting on a good nutrition plan was like the big switch being turned on in my head. I have no craving to drink whatsoever. So I guess I'm eating my way to sobriety, one bite at a time
Old 12-13-2009, 03:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've done a little research and found that avacodos are a super fruit with all except one B vitamin...perfect after years of drinking so that's certainly something I'll be eating regulalry. Just thought I'd share that info.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by burstpeach View Post
I've done a little research and found that avacodos are a super fruit with all except one B vitamin...perfect after years of drinking so that's certainly something I'll be eating regulalry. Just thought I'd share that info.
Thanks for that, will look into avocados more.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Talk to a nutritionist. Everyone has different needs. They are always on hand at local hospitals and will support you in your endeavor. Cheap wonderful solution to stay on the path!!!!!!!!!! Some of them won't even charge for a first session.