Notices

Anybody have a holiday party to deal with yet?

Old 12-09-2009, 05:43 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I have my work Christmas party in two weeks and was planning on attending alone. Now I am rethinking that and may take someone with me.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:08 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Our office Christmas party is next week. For the past few years, we've had it at a bowling alley. There will be beer available. I won't drink it. So far, I've been through 7 years of office Christmas parties without drinking.

Two stories:

My first office Christmas party in recovery was 2 months after I got out of treatment. Fifteen minutes into the party, the president of my company was offering to pour me a beer. This was the same man who had given me a choice between unemployment or treatment just three months earlier. I learned quickly that I cannot depend on other people to protect my recovery, even those who should know better.

At the fourth office Christmas party, a moment I had been dreading in recovery finally came. One of the younger guys noticed that I wasn't drinking and asked me about it. Here's the whole conversation as I recall it:

Young Guy: "You don't drink?"
Me: "No."
Young Guy: "Not even when you are on vacation in Jamaica?"
Me: "No."
Young Guy: "Oh."

End of conversation. All of the fears I had about long discussions of my alcoholism were a waste of time. Other people really don't obsess over whether or not I am drinking.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:08 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I survived! My husband and I went to my office party. It was at a very fine restaurant and the room was the 'wine cellar'...we both actually ignored the surroundings and concentrated on the people. We were actually not alone in being the only sober attendees. Two of my other co-workers chose not to imbibe because they had to drive a long way home. We had alot of fun. The meal was outstanding, the conversations were very interesting. It was so nice to meet spouses and family members. We actually went dancing also. I had the best imported sparkling water. My boss actually made sure each of us had our on 'attendee' who catered to us the entire evening. I did not once have to worry about whether or not our drinks were 'safe'...we had our own 'acqua panna' server. It was very very nice. At the end of the evening I asked my boss why that server was glued to us....and he said, I told her to be sure you were comfortable. I know you don't drink KC. That was the most considerate thing anyone ever did for us. So, when we do the footwork it has major dividends. Happy Holidays folks!
Old 12-17-2009, 01:35 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The weekend before Christmas is fast approaching
a good time to bump this thread...
Old 12-17-2009, 02:59 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Tomorrow night with 17 drunks!!! Well 18 including me...Home group Dinner:-)
Old 12-17-2009, 09:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

My district is having a 24 hour christmas party with meetings all day long. Id rather go to that. I have found that once i make a habit of going to parties and not drinking I think It's ok and i might not have a problem and the next thing i know im drinking