Notices

Torn

Old 12-04-2009, 07:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Torn

This is tough as I thought it would be, trying to come down. I am sticking to my guns and committed to success I just feel like I am letting myself down while trying to keep the weaning going. I went from 12 beers daily to 6 and plan next Monday to do 5 and so on until I reach I dunno 3? Then pull the trigger. Tonight after I got home I had two which became three, I drank seltzer and became comfortable hanging with my wife. I wasn't sure to let the last three go or not but of course I had them.

No more for tonight as I have had my quota and really I am tired to go anyway. I know I will wake around 3 am for the bathroom and not sleep again until I go to work. I am ok with this as I know I need to start somewhere and I am not going to give up.

Peace
Old 12-04-2009, 07:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I've never understood why an alcoholic would put themselves
thru the daily torcher of tapering. I've not met one who
actually quit drinking ...sucessfully tapered to zero.

Most physical de tox takes 4 days.
Did you read the link I gave you before ?
It was to the top sticky post here in Alcoholism.

To de tox safely....consult your doctor.
There are also free de tox centers run by the
Salvation Army in many places.

Anyway....wishing you and your wife all the best in life
Old 12-04-2009, 07:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have to agree with Carol.
I drank about a 12 pack a day, and tapering off would be torture to me. I quit cold turkey a number of times, and finally quit.
But I have known people to quit smoking by tapering off. (that would have been torture to me also) I also quit smoking cold turkey.
But don't get me wrong, if you can quit like this more power to you. But in my case I was addicted, and drinking keeps the addiction going.
I am only one drink from starting it all over again.
I wish you the best.
Fred
Old 12-04-2009, 07:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nevertheless View Post
I have to agree with Carol.
I drank about a 12 pack a day, and tapering off would be torture to me. I quit cold turkey a number of times, and finally quit.
But I have known people to quit smoking by tapering off. (that would have been torture to me also) I also quit smoking cold turkey.
But don't get me wrong, if you can quit like this more power to you. But in my case I was addicted, and drinking keeps the addiction going.
I am only one drink from starting it all over again.
I wish you the best.
Fred
Well, difference is alcohol withdrawal can kill you and smoking withdrawal will not. I myself, if I had my druthers, would always opt for professional detox if I could get away with it. Problem is those nasty insurers will hold it against me. I've gone to detox once and the only saving grace I can see is it was on New Year's Day. Just another little partier who had to much, right? Not.

ALWAYS, if one is in danger, pay no attention to insurance issues. I say this in case someone is reading this out in Internet land and thinks as I do. Get professional help. Detox from alcohol is NOT to be taken lightly - at all.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I cant tapper off, I have tried it all, I do agree about the insurance crap "its on record your a alkie" but if it saves you instead of diying its for the best, in the end eveyone will know anyway, right?.

Some nights i can have a six pack, like tonight, i know this is not a normal night or week, I have been listening to the audiable "Big Book", I also read some about products with alchohol.

The "Big book really did hit home, had to stop at chapter 6 though as I need to take action alongside reading/hearing it.

I stopped a couple days ago with all sort of alcohol, deoderant, toothpaste you name it even shampoo and conditioner and yes the booze too.

I really noticed I was so irritable at everyone and everything, I have stopped many times i really cant keep count over the last couple months let alone the last few years.

A co-worker said to me the other day after I told him I am trying again, he said "At least your not giving up", I have heard it all, even the grins after telling people, to almost the point I dont want anyone to know or care if i drink or not.

Opps, rambling, ok I didnt even eat today and have had 6 beers, this time my cravings are different (somhow), not craving for the beer but my mind was just upset all day left work half day and slept woke only to be piussed again and slept more, not sure but after just buying the six pack I am at ease then to have a few its better I could drink all night but I got to stop now, maybe I have been weining off these past few months just didnt know it or maybe its finaly sinking in, maybe theres more to the reaction to alcohol and products with it even toothpaste, but i swear this was the worst i felt ever after stopping products with alcohol, maybe i am just nuts but I am going to continue this further, I starred at the first beer for an hour and a half before opening it, and then had it slow comparred to POUND the frst few down.

For me this is not moderation or tappering off, I failed once again, but maybe this time I am on to somthing! sorry for the rambling long post...

Heck, I am not even going to spell check this one, sorry folks, and thanks again to this forum and Carol who got my mind open.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

I tried quitting hundreds of times by coming up with "rules".

It turned out that once I started drinking, all my "rules" went out the window.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
part time member

I tried tapering off. I told myself that I would only drink 1/2 the bottle of vodka but when I looked the next morning it was always empty!
Old 12-05-2009, 04:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I understand you all about tapering not working. For me, it is the only option right now, I knew I needed to cut down right away and I can't afford to take time off. So far, the cut back has worked great. I felt better the first day from not having 12 but I did feel some withdrawal, now I no longer have the withdrawal feelings and I slept all night.

If I am not able to fully stop I will have to go to a detox but I will need to wait until January. I am not feeling tortured and will just keep focusing on reducing the amount.

Tonight I may try to take Benadryl and a Vitamin B before bed to avoid the three night beers.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sudz. I had to be 'weened' and the people in AA helped me without going to a rehab/detox. I had a recovery counselor who was also a member of AA. Have you asked around the rooms for help yet? Anyway, it sounds like you are SO close to your last few. I recommend sucking on oranges and eating honey after your last few and during your first cravings to get thru the remainder of the physical withdraw. Its very serious business and you need an experience eye around to help you. Praying for you.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks FanofJoe, Yeah funny I almost don't feel a craving right now. I just sat down after getting home from work and I usually pop one open right away. I have decided to wait and see how long I can go. I'm not sure at this point I will have withdrawal too badly anyway. As I named this thread, I am torn because I feel ready to quit but am afraid I am stopping too quickly. I figure to try just three tonight in a few hours and see if I can stop there. Tomorrow is a day off for me which I dread, days off were always start drinking around noon and stop at midnight. My last day off I didn't know what to do with myself, I figure tomorrow to get out and shop, clean the house, do laundry, cook, anything I can to do to keep occupied.

I am determined to stop I just to want to ease into it. Every day my habits are changing as I find ways to pacify myself without the drink. I figure a few more focused days of changing my routine and then see ya.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I highly recommend attending AA!

If your anything like me, after a period of sobriety, you are capable of convincing yourself "Hey look, I tapered off. . . I can control it."
Old 12-05-2009, 04:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree with you, I know it has to be forever. There is no dancing with the devil acceptable. I have had some close to me suggest that I can just have those take the edge off beers but I know me. I will balloon back up to 12 or more over time.

Once an addict, always an addict.